end of the bridge question

Animal

Nov 18, 2003
Dark side of the moon
Visit site
I know songs are left up to our own interpretation, but this is driving me crazy. Has the character in the song "at the end of the bridge" left her for another woman, or just left o_O
This is still a kickass cd, just have to order the first one.
thanx

I don't hear anything in the lyrics to indicate it's for another woman. What part made you think of that? I think the character is just leaving to move on but still loves the person, feels guilty, and wants them to understand.

"I must leave now my friend, to explore something new"

"The white sand has run through the hour glass, and I am abandoning you, betraying the only one that always was true"

"Understand me"

Animal said:
I know songs are left up to our own interpretation, but this is driving me crazy. Has the character in the song "at the end of the bridge" left her for another woman, or just left o_O
This is still a kickass cd, just have to order the first one.
thanx

It's about the little town called Finspång, where Dan grew up and lived before I so cruelly made him move to Örebro :) So, it's not about a woman, it's about his hometown. I love those lyrics... I've done a lot of moving myself, so I know how he feels...

Metal88, the next few lines, "Now i've found another one to guard me and rock me too sleep, indicates another person, at least in my mind. However, the last verse which shows how much he loves this person, is what confuses me. o_O
Also Embla, i'm moving to Finspang, because if your right that must be one hell of a town, i've moved 3 times and never had the urge to write a love song about the place :loco:

Embla said:
It's about the little town called Finspång, where Dan grew up and lived before I so cruelly made him move to Örebro :) So, it's not about a woman, it's about his hometown. I love those lyrics... I've done a lot of moving myself, so I know how he feels...
Not very nice of you to make him move to Orebro, is it now?
Wow, that gave me a whole new perspective on the song, and a new apreciation, I think. Thanks for the comment.

IAmEternal said:
Not very nice of you to make him move to Orebro, is it now?
Wow, that gave me a whole new perspective on the song, and a new apreciation, I think. Thanks for the comment.
I was kind of joking though... it was an agreed decision. Believe me... nobody can MAKE Dan do something he doesn't want... besides, if he had stayed in his old studio, he'd have been dead from the mould in the walls by now! And we don't want that, do we? ;)

Animal said:
Metal88, the next few lines, "Now i've found another one to guard me and rock me too sleep, indicates another person, at least in my mind. However, the last verse which shows how much he loves this person, is what confuses me. o_O
Also Embla, i'm moving to Finspang, because if your right that must be one hell of a town, i've moved 3 times and never had the urge to write a love song about the place :loco:

Well, personification of objects is not such an unusual device in literature... I can see the sense in it. But then again, I knew the theme to begin with. And it's not that Finspång is such a fantastic place, it's about where you feel that you belong: your home town. He spent 23 years there, and it's a small village (approx 20,000 inh) so I guess it makes you feel more intimately about it than like in my case, I've lived in 5 different places, so I don't have a "home town" as such. Anyway, I think it's one of the best lyrics he's written.

Embla said:
I was kind of joking though... it was an agreed decision. Believe me... nobody can MAKE Dan do something he doesn't want... besides, if he had stayed in his old studio, he'd have been dead from the mould in the walls by now! And we don't want that, do we? ;)
Dag showed me that dark wooden hut where Dan kept his victims together with other guys (looks like Silence of the Lambs, trust me!).. err or they rehearsed that EoS songs? :loco: and I also remember this small white buildings with big windows (its where Dag and Dan's parents live)...
btw the Finspang reminds me that east germany towns back in soviet-era times.

Embla said:
Oh come on... it can't be that bad?

http://www.finspong.se/kultur_fritid/historia/finspong.htm

Here are a couple of pictures (if you scroll past all the text...)

Actually I seen only what we had after the board of Dag's volvo. And some buildings at bus station on my way to Orebro (u been sick at that time).
Anyway Dag's area is really nice! Especially that spruce at his studio hut (we pissed there!) and its very nice to have ur only own lake, isn't it? :)
- Dag, you prolly have the nice fishing here?
- I hate fishing! Actually, if u see someone fishing in the inner lake u can be sure that guy is russian or from Yugoslavia! We prefer sea fishing here in Sweden!

Embla said:

I don't want you to hate me, so I thought I'd let you know that I knew you were joking about making him move :p Thanks for your answers... I wonder, why hasn't Dan been posting much lately? Have you been keeping him busy too? :p

IAmEternal said:
I don't want you to hate me, so I thought I'd let you know that I knew you were joking about making him move :p Thanks for your answers... I wonder, why hasn't Dan been posting much lately? Have you been keeping him busy too? :p

here can be 2 scenarios
1) Dan can go down with flu (i hope NO!).
2) Dan are real workaholic, can write the music (i hope NG!).
:p

He does have to balance a family, day job and music career. And I complain about university and a part time job. I'm such a failure :p

P.S. Let's hope he's writing new NG/Second Sky stuff!!

IAmEternal said:
He does have to balance a family, day job and music career. And I complain about university and a part time job. I'm such a failure :p

Well, it's not easy to 'read' the tone of voice, so I just wanted to make things clear :) (About the moving bit)
Dan has been busy... it's all the house work I make him do... you know, the cooking (putting the kettle on), cleaning (taking out the garbage) and organization (putting the lid down on the loo). Hehe. No, really, he's been locked in his music room (or "the playpen" as I like to call it ;)) ... he's been helping a friend with some music, but I believe that the entire Second Sky album is written by now? I'll have to coax him out of there so he can give you guys a report :)

We are actually rehearsing new NG stuff. And i must say that the Swanö brothers really done it this time. It kicks ass!:Spin:

Embla said:
Dan has been busy... it's all the house work I make him do... you know, the cooking (putting the kettle on), cleaning (taking out the garbage) and organization (putting the lid down on the loo). Hehe. QUOTE]

Again my wife told u stories about me?
actually I also gave my kitties some Wiskas this morning! and threw out the empty bottles from mineral water and coke!

Well Asa, it's really nice to hear from you so much on this board even when we can't hear from Dan himself. It's also very nice to hear that he's keeping busy and making new music for us to obsess over.

It'd be nice if you nagged him 'til he came out here and gave us a little report of what's been going on lately.

P.S. Sorry for never bothering to use the proper accent on your name. I'm lazy.

IAmEternal said:
Well Asa, it's really nice to hear from you so much on this board even when we can't hear from Dan himself. It's also very nice to hear that he's keeping busy and making new music for us to obsess over.

It'd be nice if you nagged him 'til he came out here and gave us a little report of what's been going on lately.

P.S. Sorry for never bothering to use the proper accent on your name. I'm lazy.
I'm sure he'll write here soon... I noticed he's got about eleven million emails to reply to as well. Plus the fact that there are (at least) three full length albums on their way down the Swanö pipelines...

The accent on my name (Åsa) is the vital difference between my being a male (Asa) and a heathen goddess (Åsa) :) And that's why I always use my second name, Anastasia, when I'm abroad!

That's really intersting. Never thought that the lyrics are about a town. I remembered that the told me that he moved during the recording of this album. The first part of "The Sorrow Song" was recorded in Finspong and the rest in Örebro. So it fits very well with the lyrics, but anyhow I never guessed this.
thanks for Info Embla. (Isn'T Embla the first Woman which appeard in Midgard?)