ENGL, DFH EZX, short new Clip!

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
I haven't written anything in literally months, but the arrival of DFH EZx a few days ago sparked some productivity in me.

http://www.box.net/public/qx74lbejc9

Guitars are Schecter w/passives > TS-9 > ENGL FB > 1960a > SM57 > Fireface

5 takes of guitar total, 2 on each side and one down the center.

Before anyone says it, I had a tracking problem during the first riff and as a result there is some major clipping going on the guitars. TotalMix was telling me I was -9db under, but I guess the clip light on the Fireface itself was still going off.. Ah well, live with it. :)

DFH EZx is super simple to set-up and besides the kicks, the kit sounds great. Kick is 100% sample and snare is about 30%.

Bass = ghetto fab. pitch-shifted guitar.

Mixed ITB Nuendo.

Let me know what you dudes think!

Charlie

So the kick drum you used isnt the actual kick that comes with the package? I really want this thing but the kick drum worries me. What samples did you use on this clip?

that sounds badass man...what engl is that?

nevermind...i'm the dumbass that couldn't figure out FB would = fireball

seriously tho, this is one of the best sounding fireball clips i've heard...i may look at one of those now rather than a powerball

thanks dudes! i'm hoping to get a proper song up soon though, as this clip is super short.

WillShrd: the included kicks aren't terrible by any means, they're definitely usable, just not what I was looking for. They give you the option of the natural and extreme EQ'd kick as well, which is helpful..

Cheers
Charlie

thanks dudes! i'm hoping to get a proper song up soon though, as this clip is super short.

WillShrd: the included kicks aren't terrible by any means, they're definitely usable, just not what I was looking for. They give you the option of the natural and extreme EQ'd kick as well, which is helpful..

Cheers
Charlie

Ah, well thats good. The kick sound in this clip is AMAZING though, how close can you get the stock kicks to sounding like the ones in your clip?

Also, the tone is amazing, I'm gassing hard for a Fireball. What mic and mic pre dude you use on this?

thanks dudes! really appreciate it.

I've actually been wanting to try a Dual Recto to layer underneath the FB, but I'd like to get a 5150 again as well. I actually went from a 5150 to the Fireball, but the 5150 always had a wicked grind to it that I haven't heard in other amps... maybe one day.

As far as I've heard, the Powerball is a bit more smooth and hi-fi sounding, while the FB has more of a raw edge to it..

WillShrd: I'm using a single 57 through the Firefaces' pre's on this clip. I'm not sure how close you could get the kicks included in the EZX, but I'm sure with a little effort you could make it happen.

And if not, Aptrigga is only what, $40? :)

Zombietake: I got a pair of the Yammy HS80M's about a month ago, and while it did take some time to get used to them and a little switching about of their placement, I find that they translate superbly and really reveal alot about a mix. Let me stress that, they reveal ALOT. Any nasty frequency, imbalance, whatever, sticks out like a sore thumb. It can be a little challenging to get shit to sound right on them, but once it does I pretty much know I'm set.

Cheers all!

you using reverb on everything or just drums??

maybe a little more into what you did with drums please :headbang:

Oh yea sounds fantastic besides clip but like you said oh well, I downloaded your old song to use as a reference to try and get some thick reach out and punch you in the nose tone!!!

Yea anyway I'm using ezx and wanted to just maybe have you touch base on what you did with it to get finished...Compresion? reverb? i know you said you sampled kick 100% and snare 30%

what samples and do you feel like sharing them?

You do not have to answer all this but i just had to ask..

you using reverb on everything or just drums??

maybe a little more into what you did with drums please :headbang:

Oh yea sounds fantastic besides clip but like you said oh well, I downloaded your old song to use as a reference to try and get some thick reach out and punch you in the nose tone!!!

Yea anyway I'm using ezx and wanted to just maybe have you touch base on what you did with it to get finished...Compresion? reverb? i know you said you sampled kick 100% and snare 30%

what samples and do you feel like sharing them?

You do not have to answer all this but i just had to ask..

what do you guys mean by sample 100% 30%?

how can you use 30% of a sample? length change? im confused

When using a plug-in like Drumagog for example you can choose how much of one sound is being replaced with another, 100% would mean it's completely replaced, 30% would mean both sounds are blended - 30% one of them and 70% the other.