Engl Fireball, Acoustic Drums

MetalMiller

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2008
Hesse Germany
www.youtube.com
Hi, I`m not new in this forum but this is one of my first posts (don`t had any decent stuff so far). This is a band i`m recording at the moment. It`s a german Trash/Deathmetalband called Deformed. The setup on this recording was a mapex drumkit with a cheap t.bone microphone set on toms and kick, sm58 on snare, mxl990 on HH and Behringer C2 on OH. Guitar was a b.c. rich flying-v with
a dimebucker trough an engl fireball and a engl cabinet with greenbacks i think (Don´t know the correct term). Only one mic, an electrovoice pl6 straight on the center. No bass and vox so far. The guitar track was sloopy played only for orientation so i copy and paste them to a double track. At this moment i only want to find a good drum sound. OH`s were recorded with the 3:1 rule, Snare and Kick are 100% replaced with a samples i found here anywhere and samples i made of two or more other samples i don´t know on snare.
I think there is an ugly fizz in the OH´s. Tried to fix it with de-essing and notch filters with no luck. Any tips on this, or do i only need fresh ears.
Bad english i know.

Here is the Link:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7325044&q=hi

Guitars sound SICK dude !!! Makes wanna try ENGL heads with Greenbacks loaded cabs so bad (i've heard several times it was a good match) !!!

Even the ENGL "haters" will like this clip it i think (since it doesn't sound so ENGL-ish actually :) ). I'd use less gain though even if a lot of gain still works nicely in your mix/genre/song (which has a bit of a Six Feet Under feel).

Is that really only one guitar track/performance that was copy pasted to get a double track ?

Thank`s for your comment man! I know the tone has a bit to much gain, my first try to record a mic`d cab. I dont`t know how this cab must or could or wahtever sound like. I`ve put a lot of eq and C4 (andy style) on it, cause it sounds very boomy and dark, to much bass and bassmids for my taste.
Can you say me wehre i can hear a fireball greenback tone maybe here on this forum? I think when we record the final guitar tracks with another mic (sm57, md421) not an unknown electrovoice it must sound pretty better. Than i record the dry line out signal too, so i have the chance to work with impulses. But this is what i want to prevent, for me samplereplacement is enough. i´ve uploaded a new song with other eq settings, it has an more modern scooped sound. And yes it was just one recorded track wehre i copied the 2 riff to the first same riff and so on... than standard 100% L and R.

Next try:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7328102&q=hi

Guitars sound SICK dude !!! Makes wanna try ENGL heads with Greenbacks loaded cabs so bad (i've heard several times it was a good match) !!!

Even the ENGL "haters" will like this clip it i think (since it doesn't sound so ENGL-ish actually :) ). I'd use less gain though even if a lot of gain still works nicely in your mix/genre/song (which has a bit of a Six Feet Under feel).

Is that really only one guitar track/performance that was copy pasted to get a double track ?

I'm notan ENGL hater...I only hate the powerball ;)
the fireball is IMO way better sounding han the PB..

EDIT....still, I dont really like the guitartone, sorry...sounds too gainy and small for me :(

Ok, like i said these are only shite recorded guitar tracks without any effort in mic placement and amp tweaking. But what about the druuuumsoooouuuund? :rolleyes: Never mind! If anyone is interested i can post any ruogh tracks, so you can give it a shot. Or only to hear how good/bad it sounds.

Seems the kick needs to go up in the mix a tad more, but other than that they sound great.

LSD hit in on the money though, guitars are way to boxy, tighten the gain up a little and I think you'll be on the right track.

Thanks for the info.

As everyone said, if next time you double track, use way less gain, and get a good mic placement it could slay.

About samples of ENGL + Greenbacks loaded cabs, i don't remember hearing any samples on this forum, i just remember some people saying it sounded awesome (on French guitar forums).