Enslaved - Vertebrae

Eindride

Dec 22, 2007
I hade the good fortune of being able to make it to the release party of Enslaveds Vertebrae in Stockholm, last Friday. It was an ok party, hadn't it just been for some immature dicks who ruined Grutles few minutes in the spotlight by shouting "visa kuken" ("show us your dick") one million times (sigh).

But if the party was just ok, the album itself blew me of the ground already from the pounding intro and onward. This band is - rivaled only by Borknagar - the top class act of today's metal. I have followed their career from their very first demo (Well, the Yggdrasill-demo, not Nema) and I'm astounded by the evolution their music has undergone over the years. Ivar Björnson is a songwriting genius. And i don't think the very appearent Pink Floyd-influence on the new record is a negative thing, on the contrary, their fushion of prog and extreme metal is quite original. Others have done it too, for sure, but Enslaved has their own very special personality to it. What also stands out is the way they develop Old Norse concepts into more personal and modern interpretations.

Vertebrae is, as far as i am concerned, the album of the year.

Sad thing, Ivar quit Borknagar. Öystein and Ivar, Norways two greatest songwriters, should perhaps some time in the future, get together to create some new stuff. "Witching Hour", the only song they penned together, is one of the best on TAC.

New enslaved is absolutely amazing!!!!!...did you shoot some videos for the party?

It would be cool if you share them with us.

I'm dissapointed by it.

It's a great album, I definitely prefer prog Enslaved over that boring black metal shit, but the last three albums were better. Still very good though.

I love the last Enslaved album, sounds more black metalish this time but still is prog...one of the best of the year for sure (I'm waiting for the Asmegin and Kampfar albums to decide about the best of 2008)

GRRRRRRRRR RAGE RAGE RAGE not being released until the 28th of this month in the US

GRRRRRRRRR

Enslaved is one of my favorite bands

/girly-type weeping

Good to know that it's a solid album. I wasn't a big fan of Ruun; but Isa and Below the Lights are among my Enslaved faves, and in general I've liked the band's recent direction.

Vertebrae has taken some time for me to get into, as most Enslaved does, but after 9 or so plays its fuckign awesome! The clean vocals have improved a lot I think, although they sound higher pitched. Below the Lights, Isa, RUUN are all awesome too though.

I really liked this new album too, it's great, but it won't be #1 in my list (lots of old school, hard-rock and AOR releases).

I like all of their stages, the first album that I heard was Frost. I was listening to it the other day and it's still as great as the first time I heard it :headbang: .

And a collaboration of Øystein + Ivar on the new Bork album would be simply wonderful! (Hehe oh and we're also asking for Simen to collaborate too :p . Probably none of them will happen though).

New video taken from vertebrae cd.

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=47211690[/ame]

someone knows what is the t-shirt that ivar wears?..i love it!

The thing is, this new one is more consistent than Ruun, but Ruun had Essence. Essence alone is better than everything on Vertebrae put together.

QFT

BTW I hate it when people keep associating "Ruun" with "Path To Vanir". "Essence" is definitely a way better song, and the best on "Ruun".

I dunno man, Vertebrae is a lot more fun to listen to than Ruun. Ruun was a good album but it felt a bit plodding at times, and with the exception of Essence, the songs were smidgen repetitive (especially compared to Below the Lights and Isa, where song distinction is simply not a problem with those albums). Essence is a good song, but I think it stands out mostly because other than the opening track, it's not really Enslaved's most inspired album.

I'm really liking Vertebrae, though. Especially Reflection and the Watcher.

I have to say out of all the albums I've bough this year this is the one I am most pleased with. There is not a single song I dislike and it flows together perfectly. Yes, some Enslaved albums are better than others. But they do not have a bad album. And Vertebrae is fantastic.

They were supposed to have a US tour starting in a few months, and I was looking forward to it immensely. But then, they canceled it. I hope it was a temporary issue and they're able to reschedule, instead of scrapping it permanently.

Please, Enslaved, come to North America! We like you here!