Enslaved - Vertebrae

I have to say out of all the albums I've bough this year this is the one I am most pleased with. There is not a single song I dislike and it flows together perfectly. Yes, some Enslaved albums are better than others. But they do not have a bad album. And Vertebrae is fantastic.

Very well put. That's exactly my thought too, the album really "flows toether". Very consistent. It's such a perfect mix of all the elements that make Enslaveds music stand out, so many facetts. Their whole soundpicture - or soundlandscape - is so rich. It's impossible for me to pick out a standout track on Vertebrae.

But I agree on Essence being the finest track on RUUN.

It would be nice too hear something more solid on what direction Borknagar will go on the next release, musically and thematically.

And tonight they're playing here in Stockholm...it will be awesome! Ivar told me in a mail that they will be playing a lot of stuff from Vertebrae, more precisly Clouds, To The Shores, Clouds, New Dawn and Reflection - five songs! Anyone else here going?

Yeah, of course i meant Ground. Absolutley fuckin amazing song - and an absolutly fuckin amazing show. Enslaved delievers 110% in a live setting. Actually, for those of you who are interested, this was there playlist:

Clouds
Fusion of Sense and Earth
New Dawn
RUUN
As fire Swept Clean The Earth
Ground
To The Coast
Eld
Allfader Odin
The Watcher
-----
Isa

It would turn out that To The Coast i a huge live-monster and when they went on to play Eld the place litteraly exploded in fire. Enslaved destroyed all competition, although opener Thyrfing did a really good job i must say (i'm not very interested in their studiorecordings though).

And yes, Ground is their finest moment on Vertebrae, or as someone in the crowd shouted after they had played it: "Fy fan så jävla bra!" whereby Grutle replied (he always starts to talk swedish when in sweden - and he is always poked for it): "Fy fan så jävla tack!"

A great night.

It took me a few spins before Vertebrae sunk in. Now every song is stuck in my head and my other albums are being neglected.

I like Vertebrae. It's different.
I'm not so use to Enslaved sounding like this, so maybe it will take a few listens to actually see it for what it is and not just another metal album. Eld and Below the Lights are my favorites, just sooo hard-hitting!
I've loved Enslaved from their inseption, even though I first heard of them when Isa was realeased, around that time. I prefer older Enslaved, honestly, but I still love the new stuff. I, however, do not like Ruun.At all. Maybe I just don't get it, but Ruun is difficult and hard to take in.
Almost like listening to Satyricon's split with Enslaved, then hearing their new album. It is like...WHOA! Even Volcano and Rebel Extravaganza are bad. But then again, I don't like Satyricon much, only the split with Enslaved. When I met Satyr, I think it ruined it for me. Also, the rumours I hear about him. Like having policeman watch his house because he had a death threat. Wheather if this is true, I don't know... but is lame. And he is mean!

It took me a few spins before Vertebrae sunk in. Now every song is stuck in my head and my other albums are being neglected.

Me too. I really didn't think it was special at all, but now I think it's absolutely brilliant. This album is a like a time release air freshener that smells better and better the longer it's out.