Epic Joey Cleans

I'm with you man I think his vocals always sound epic as fuck. I would assume this is mostly just because of the delay and verb though?

ps. I think that second example sounds EXACTLY like the clean vocals in the newer As I Lay Dying, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I've noticed one thing with Sturgis' mixes, whenever there's clean singing, it really just shouts "EPIC" to me. I don't know why, but there's something about them. How does he go about getting this? I know you need to get the best possible performance out of the singer, but it sounds much more than that. I also can't tell whether or not the vox are double-tracked, because if they are they must be VERY tight takes because together they sound incredibly smooth.

maybe i'm wrong, but i think it's 90% about the performance!
when i first heard the new prada i thought, fuck this is autotuned
very well because i can't really hear the autotune.
then i saw a making of video and, while recording the singer
was just sounding like on the record:headbang:

FTR guys, I'm pretty certain Joey uses Melodyne, and thus draws in the pitch changes himself, which is usually more transparent than just letting autotune go at it!

FTR guys, I'm pretty certain Joey uses Melodyne, and thus draws in the pitch changes himself, which is usually more transparent than just letting autotune go at it!

You can draw in the pitches yourself in autotune. Also, I'm fairly certain that he uses autotune.

epicness mostly comes from sense of space, using delay / reverb without the listener knowing that there is actually reverb / delay.

imho everyone can sound like the bands singers you showed as,
as it seems that the singers goal is to sound like everyone else in the genre, which is cool...

nice compression + unnaturally tuned vocals + subtle use of stereo dly/rev might do the trick.

i like to triple track the vox, one Lead, one Left One Right, then edit the vocals, listen in mono if they sound like one (automate the sssss and explosives on the left right tracks)
and this will add to the vocals sounding "larger than life"

but keep in mind that joeys mixes are perfect overall - i think that adds to the vocals being "epic"

hope that helps

autotune has had graphical mode for years. using automode can be pretty reckless, for anything serious you should only be using graphical mode.

Ah cool, I stand corrected! (maybe they should change the name of the program then :loco: ) Though I'm still 99% certain that Joey uses Melodyne! :D

epicness mostly comes from sense of space, using delay / reverb without the listener knowing that there is actually reverb / delay.

This is where I'm at - however, anyone have any tips on actually doing this successfully?

Ah crap, looks like I'm 0 for 2 this thread :lol: (but he has mentioned that he Melodynes the bass, so I guess he uses both, so I wasn't TOTALLY wrong :D)

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT :lol:

Well I may be failing as forum database, but at least not as a Joey fanboy (cuz I'm the farthest thing from, his productions are great but I haven't listened to more than maybe 4 collective minutes of any of the bands he's recorded for reasons mentioned in the beginning of this thread :D)

[UEAK]Clowd;8511033 said:
This is where I'm at - however, anyone have any tips on actually doing this successfully?

ride those faders up and down...push them up high, mute it, unmute, and pull it back until you find that spot where you hear it but you don't!

[UEAK]Clowd;8511033 said:

learn to use reverb like this :

lower the reverb volume
mute and unmute your reverb aux
find the spot where you cant actually hear the rev, but miss it when its muted

that is the right amount of reverb / delay.

there have been some great threads about this :
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/499638-depth-vocal-mixing-thread.html

some interesting tipps there