Epicloud

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Just finished listening to this with some noise canceling headphones. Played it from start to finish and jesus this is a good album...like really, really good. It has moments reminiscent of any number of his previous albums. I hear Infinity, Physicist, Ocean Machine, AE, Ziltoid, Addicted. It's almost over the top in how epic it is. Every song is a stand out. I can't say it's the best Dev album ever, because his earliest solo records will probably never be topped, but this could very well be the catchiest record he's ever made. It's just plain awesome. Check it out.

I like it. there are some dud songs (lucky animals is a little over-the-top even for devin), and some of the songs drag, but it's got a great glowing atmosphere and lots of really fun tunes. i especially like the new version of Kingdom and More!

it's a strong record with a little bit of everything devin's been doing for the past four years or so, but nothing that really sounds new or surprising. it sounds like he was on autpilot during the writing process, which was probably a nice change of pace for him considering how complicated a lot of the previous DTP material was, but I'd rather hear something a little more out-of-left-field. i hear he's working on some more weird stuff now, so maybe the next record will scratch that itch.

Also he needs to slow down! Deconstruction and Ghost still feel new to me and he's already got another album and two in the oven. I mean, it's cool that he's become so prolific but i think it's also nice to let a record stew for a couple of years. it's starting to feel like he's overfeeding the fans a little.

My favorite so far since AE.. now if only they went back and rerecorded some of the stuff from Ocean machine and accelerated evolution with Anneke :rolleyes:

Leave Ocean Machine, Physicist, and Infinity alone, IMO.

I agree about Lucky Animals being probably the weakest new song, but it sounds like it could have been on Infinity. Infinity had a lot of theatrical songs on it (it was basically a heavy metal musical), especially Bad Devil.

Ghost is the best out of the previous quadruplet, in my opinion. I still listen to some of it daily. It's just got such a great atmosphere.

the bonus disc, Epiclouder, is awesome! i think i prefer it to the actual album. it's all demos, but devin's production is usually so involved that the demos barely even sound like demos. the songs are a lot more stripped back and intimate-sounding, for the most part, but there are a few really heavy ones that remind me of Strapping. weirdly there are two awesome country songs, too. if you can, check it out!

Fun album. Certainly not Devy's best, but there are definitely some epic moments on this one. The new version of Kingdom is spectacular.

I am torn on the idea of re-doing some Ocean Machine stuff. On one had, that album is perfect and should not be touched at all. But on the other, imagine how great Devin could make it sound with nowadays skill and technology.

I am torn on the idea of re-doing some Ocean Machine stuff. On one had, that album is perfect and should not be touched at all. But on the other, imagine how great Devin could make it sound with nowadays skill and technology.

replace "ocean machine" with "star wars" and you'll understand my opinion on this issue ;)