Epicus Covidicus Metallicus: The GMD 2020 Metal Megathread

Listening to bands of a given subgenre that are new to me is like having a particular dish at a bunch of different restaurants I'd never been to before, only to find almost none of them appeal compared to the versions of the dish I've developed a taste for. I've figured out too well exactly what I like, so they have to either match that or have some newfangled point of difference. Unless I made a connection by seeing the band live or hearing them years ago or something.

And what makes or breaks a band for me is mostly the vocals, along with production to a lesser degree. All in a way that doesn't align well with what everyone else gets hyped about, so searching can get tiring. Being a picky motherfucker is a skill!

Eating the same food all the time is a horrible existence to me. I suppose I’m always trying something new. Even if it might be gross.

Reactions: CiG
Going around two years now with covid, my wifes pregnancy (and difficulties) and become dad I havent taken much time to myself lately.

I do occasionally still go. Last year seemed wet all year here.

Reactions: CiG
1. Megaton Sword - Blood Hails Steel - Steel Hails Fire
2. Absurd - Pure Darkness
3. Ironsword - Servants of Steel
4. Witches Hammer - Damnation is My Salvation
5. Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron
6. Black Sword Thunder Attack - March of the Damned
7. Svolder - The Beast's Mercenaries
8. Solicitor - Spectral Devastation
9. Invincible Force - Decomposed Sacramentum
10. Question - Reflections of the Void

i haven't exactly deep-dived the year but it's probably my #1 too, it's kind of shallow i guess but i don't give a shit when basically every song is huge.

question fucking rules as well. i should check out that absurd.

Listening to bands of a given subgenre that are new to me is like having a particular dish at a bunch of different restaurants I'd never been to before, only to find almost none of them appeal compared to the versions of the dish I've developed a taste for. I've figured out too well exactly what I like, so they have to either match that or have some newfangled point of difference. Unless I made a connection by seeing the band live or hearing them years ago or something.

And what makes or breaks a band for me is mostly the vocals, along with production to a lesser degree. All in a way that doesn't align well with what everyone else gets hyped about, so searching can get tiring. Being a picky motherfucker is a skill!
I think this sounds pretty much like what I've felt like for the last 20 years or so. Nowadays, I may discover a new band I really do like every other year. The positive aspect of this is that it allows me to listen more often to the new albums I buy as well as to older stuff I still do love. I only have got time to listen to music for about 3-4 hours each day (a bit more on weekends and during holidays). I've got currently about 800 albums (metal and non-metal) and I listen to about 120 to 150 of them each year, to some only once, whereas the most-played get up to 150 spins (sometimes even more) per year. Thus if I bought 50 new albums each year (like I did in the late eighties/early nineties), it would be impossible to listen to them as often as the few new albums I buy nowadays, let alone to listen to older albums I still love as much as I want to.

aint-no-grave-back-from-the-dead.gif

Going to get to work on this.....think it's worth doing. Hoping interest can be renewed. Would also not mind seeing one for 2021

I'm tempted to throw another list up and see if I can confuse the final count! :p

And So It Goes.....

1. Demoniac - So It Goes
896708.jpg

2. Orion - Mysterivm Cosmogaphicvm
883324.jpg

3. Draghkar - At the Crossroads of Infinity
857747.jpg

4. Apep - The Invocation of the Deathless One
823464.jpg

5. Autonoesis - S/t
871796.jpg

6. Cosmic Putrefaction - The Horizons Towards Which Splendour Withers