GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2001

I don't get the appeal at all.
I hope you at least get how clever and unique the band is. The manic absurdity of the sound, and how well it synergizes with the black humor in lyrics like "Pizza Pie" (to use TB's example) to satirize the utter brainlessness that consumer culture promotes. I also don't know many bands who can take something as left field as Kalinka-esque folk music and work it so seamlessly into a completely unrelated genre. Whether it appeals to you or not, it's pretty brilliant. I'd be impressed if you could find me an in-crowd metal album that works on anywhere near that number of levels.

Last edited:
Pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives...
a076ccc9efbf9fb45dea6e86b8e6f8ae.jpg

Reactions: CiG
I agree he's talented but I hate his style. Celine Dion is also very talented but the way she sings bugs the hell out of me vs other pop singers. I can't even begin to understand his appeal for whatever reason, not that I'm saying I'd like the band if they had a different singer, but the barrier would be less extreme for me.

Edit: A SOAD cover band made up of musicians with Down syndrome would be amazing though.

Reactions: Sophii
well the thing about him is that he doesn't have just one style of singing. He's definitely the highlight of what is otherwise a rather pedestrian band imo. John is a good drummer and Daron is straight up garbage for the most part

fair enough.

Do his vocals on this track annoy you too?

i think its one of his best performances and probably my favorite track from them. Love the parts where he/they blow up ... "LIAR KILLER DEMON!!" ... "HONOR, MURDERER, SODOMIZER!!!!" @4:03

Reactions: Sophii
Nah doesn't do much for me. SOAD's proclivity to go from mellow to aggressive to mellow to aggressive is one of the things about their style I dislike most. It's not quite jumpdafuckup but it invokes a similar reaction.

lot of bands do the mellow to aggressive thing. Even a shit load of proper metal bands. But yeah i get it, they can get a bit too spazzy and yeah that's definitely one of their signatures. I hear more "jumpdafuckiup" in darons elementary riffs tbh.

Reactions: CiG
That's something that comes from classical music and was taken into any kind of popular music, especially since The Beatles. It worked 200 years ago and it's still working.

Fuck The Beatles and fuck you, faggot. :lol:

(Sorry just getting my first ignorant comment of 2020 out of the way.)

Last edited:
I'm obviously not talking about the general use of contrasting dynamics in a song, I'm talking about shit like "Bodies" and "Prison Song" where they go from literal whispering to screaming like tards, or shit like this:

:lol:

blah blah blah blah jUmP dA fUcK uP!!1!

I'm obviously not talking about the general use of contrasting dynamics in a song, I'm talking about shit like "Bodies" and "Prison Song" where they go from literal whispering to screaming like tards, or shit like this:

:lol:

blah blah blah blah jUmP dA fUcK uP!!1!

Alright, but it's all the same. It's just a simplification and exploit of the same principle. It's a matter to "move" the listener where the producer/composer wants to get the climax, the "hook". People with basic or zero understanding of music takes the verse as a bridge to what they really want, to sing a loud chorus. I think it's pretty cheap, but still works on most people, sadly.

Remember Korn's Y'all want a single? They even made a song about it following the same rules, even the length of it matches the radio standards.

Alright, but it's all the same. It's just a simplification and exploit of the same principle. It's a matter to "move" the listener where the producer/composer wants to get the climax, the "hook". People with basic or zero understanding of music takes the verse as a bridge to what they really want, to sing a loud chorus. I think it's pretty cheap, but still works on most people, sadly.

Remember Korn's Y'all want a single? They even made a song about it following the same rules, even the length of it matches the radio standards.

I mean, okay? I don't know if you're saying I'm wrong or at fault or if you're just randomly explaining popular gimmicks in music.

I mean, okay? I don't know if you're saying I'm wrong or at fault or if you're just randomly explaining popular gimmicks in music.
I'm just expanding/explaining what you are saying. Nu metal, pop punk and all kind of radio friendly music obeys the same principles. Heavy, power metal and some prog bands do exactly the same shit all the time.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity