GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2019

Wainds' Best Albums of 2019, Reranked
1. Order of the Ebon Hand - VII: The Chariot
a1525581681_10.jpg

these guys never really made it into greek BM canon, probably because they always had a more swedish style than their contemporaries, but they're a borderline supergroup made up of the bassist/vocalist from nocternity's classic onyx and alumni from thou art lord, horrified, mournblade and septicflesh. the debut is very solid and one i've been touting for years but this is a step above, incorporating a major with fear i kiss the burning darkness influence among other things which obviously makes it primo waindsnip. it's nothing that complex or original maybe but it's absolutely some of the best melodic metal of the last 5 years, and exactly what i want out of metal in 2023.

2. Mirror - Pyramid of Terror
mirror_pyramidOfTerror_albumArt.jpg

i dismissed this as a very solid chunk of '70s metal worship back in 2019, but over time it's become a big favourite. turns out that unoriginality doesn't matter if you're as good as the bands you're worshipping; in this case, i genuinely think this is a good as any rainbow or scorpions record (with nods to priest and some '80s bands like candlemass and helstar). what a vocalist, what musicianship, what tunes!

3. Mefitis - Emberdawn
fbf7031062612cc13c603f872809c7b3.880x880x1.jpg

this was my #1 last time around, and it still would be if everything was as good as the first two songs and the title track. they incorporate a lot of stuff i love from alf the gates to finndeath to the chasm, even some opeth lol. can get a bit bogged down in places elsewhere but it's still a really cool sound at worst, has its own mood that's crucially distinct from any of the sounds they've incorporated. it's a shame the sophomore didn't really live up to it, but i'll still follow their career with interest.

4. Orodruin - Ruins of Eternity
Orodruin_Cover.jpg

sometimes i just need clear, sincere, emotionally heavy doom metal with no frills. this is a little clunky in its song structures and definitely uneven but the highs are tailor-made for me and there are many. i'm just a shell of a man, fighting to save his own life...

5. Smoulder - Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring
Smoulder-Times-of-Obscene-Evil-and-Wild-Daring-01.jpg

still holds up. sarah ann is the star of the show here, not just a great vocalist but an intelligent one, making all kinds of unintuitive decisions which always seem to work with the music. hard to believe some of these talented fucks actually shared a band with yoda.

6. Parkcrest - ...And That Blue Will Turn Into Red
AWA_022_CD_COVER.webp

don't worry, i haven't forgotten about the chileans. honestly don't remember even hearing about this in 2019, but it's quickly become a cult classic and rightfully so. i don't know a single person who's heard it and doesn't think it's great, and it's currently #1 on the RYM metal charts for the entire 21st century out of albums with less than 90 ratings. the pinnacle of modern melodic thrash: intense, dynamic and melancholic.

7. Infernal Conjuration - Infernale Metallum Mortis
a0986443817_16.jpg

now we travel up north to mexico for a death metal classic courtesy of ex-mortuary and infinitum obscure members. these guys are just the best of savage '80s death metal if it had the more expansive otherworldly approach of the chasm, without sacrificing the assraping riffage. the two longer songs are particularly outstanding.

8. Algebra - Pulse?
Algebra-Pulse-01.jpg

i could say the same about this that i said recently about the latest by these swiss thrashers: they just hit that sweet spot for me between intelligence, weirdness and riff-flinging energy, marrying the appeal of sepultura to the appeal of voivod/obliveon.

9. Unaussprechlichen Kulten - Teufelsbucher
ab67616d0000b273aa3abee2ca8517c637913f5f

my second favourite chilean record of the year, just a maelstrom of infernal riffs structured in a sort of krisiun-esque relentless cascading style, with some weirder lovecraftian touches for good measure. the last two songs are so good. contains a member of communion.

10. Sorathian Dawn - Sun of the Deep
maxresdefault.jpg

i wasn't gonna include EPs, but this one's more or less full-length sized and too good to leave out. melodic BM at its finest, nothing i need to add. the hell happened to these aussie fucks? i thought they had a new EP AND a new album due at one point, i guess covid wiped them off the face of the earth?

five casualties from my original list:
Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal - i still consider this probably the greatest performance of john arch's career (insanely) and it's littered with transcendent moments, but it's just too bloated with too many offputting modern touches.
Funereal Presence - Achatius - easily top 10 if we're talking about the albums i admire the most, maybe the most original of the lot, but it's too drawn out and repetitive for me to love it as much as i want to, my attention always wanders.
Polemicist - Zarathustrian Impressions - terrific highs again but just too many weak moments on this one in retrospect, and i guess i feel no reason to reach for it when sorcier des glaces exist.
Ultra Silvam - The Spearwound Salvation - opinion hasn't changed on this one, just got leapfrogged by some new additions this time. bit of a low ceiling kind of album, but shit rules.
Chevalier - Destiny Calls - ultimately more of a sound record than a songwriting record, and that can only get you so far. hell of a sound though, and the songs aren't bad or anything, just a tad too messy and cluttered.

My main takeaway from this whole 2019 reboot is that I really need to check Parkcrest.

I think I heard their 2017 demo and that's it.

That Parkcrest album is one of the main reasons i decided that i needed to do a list for this year (actually an awesome year though, one of my favorites of modern times). Just listen to the first track and you'll know you're listening to something great

Reactions: CiG
Wainds' Best Albums of 2019, Reranked
1. Order of the Ebon Hand - VII: The Chariot
a1525581681_10.jpg

these guys never really made it into greek BM canon, probably because they always had a more swedish style than their contemporaries, but they're a borderline supergroup made up of the bassist/vocalist from nocternity's classic onyx and alumni from thou art lord, horrified, mournblade and septicflesh. the debut is very solid and one i've been touting for years but this is a step above, incorporating a major with fear i kiss the burning darkness influence among other things which obviously makes it primo waindsnip. it's nothing that complex or original maybe but it's absolutely some of the best melodic metal of the last 5 years, and exactly what i want out of metal in 2023.

Forgot this existed. Checking it out now.

781159.jpg

01. Twilight Force - Dawn of the Dragonstar
Favorite song: "Thundersword"

746059.jpg

02. Skeletoon - They Never Say Die
Favorite song: "The Truffle Shuffle Army: Bizardly Bizarre"

789476.jpg

03. Dragonforce - Extreme Power Metal
Favorite song: "Highway to Oblivion"

788613.jpg

04. Control the Storm - Forevermore
Favorite song: "Strike to Defend"

757162.jpg

05. Battle Beast - No More Hollywood Endings
Favorite song: "Raise Your Fists"

772880.jpg

06. Sabaton - The Great War
Favorite song: "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

796000.jpg

07. Signum Regis - The Seal of a New World
Favorite song: "Fly Away"

793791.jpg

08. Metalite - Biomechanicals
Favorite song: "Warrior"

771963.jpg

09. Majestica - Above the Sky
Favorite song: "Alliance Forever"

783088.jpg

10. Freedom Call - M.E.T.A.L.
Favorite song: "111 - The Number of the Angels"

They're an underrated gem. Been liking them since they had Göran Edman on vox. That was many a blue moon ago though. They re-recorded my favorite tune from their debut album, "All Over the World" on the EP Through the Storm (2015) with the new singer Mayo Petranin (who has since been replaced). It's good, but I like the original version just a tad better.

The original:

The re-recorded version:

Reactions: SonOfNun
1. Beast in Black - From Hell with Love
2. Crazy Lixx - Forever Wild
3. D-A-D - A Prayer for the Loud
4. Death Angel - Humanicide
5. Angel Witch - Angel of Light
6. Captain Beyond - The Future is Now (EP)
7. Queensrÿche - The Verdict
8. Whitesnake - Flesh & Blood
9. Dream Theater - Distance over Time
10. Frozen Crown - Crowned in Frost

Had to re-do this one, changed a few things.....finalized

tumblr_f31134dcd8273eb400813ce3d6b3e7ba_a4359a28_500.gif

10. Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion
766911.jpg

9. Ripper - Sensory Stagnation
791866.jpg

8. Inhuman Nature - S/T
777686.jpg

7. Nocturnus AD - Paradox
769176.jpg

6. Infernal Conjuration - Infernale Metallum Mortis
771399.jpg

5. Oath of Cruelty - Summary Execution at Dawn
802736.jpg

4. Critical Defiance - Misconception
751659.jpg

3. Storm Death - Ancient Premonitions of the Gods
795662.jpg

2. Necroripper - Amelupe Tain Weichan
779247.jpg

1. Parkcrest - ...And That Blue Will Turn To Red
873581.jpg

This is probably a stupid question but do you use Rateyourmusic man?
Me? I do not. Believe it or not i only found out about it somewhere in the history of doing these yearly polls. I found it hard to navigate without a direct link to whatever year we'd be doing. Should i be using it?!? Seems like a handy resource

Me? I do not. Believe it or not i only found out about it somewhere in the history of doing these yearly polls. I found it hard to navigate without a direct link to whatever year we'd be doing. Should i be using it?!? Seems like a handy resource
Well, as an autistic faggot myself, I do think you should use it because then I can leech recommendations off your page whenever I feel like it. 😁

Once you get used to the format, it's super fucking handy.

Well, as an autistic faggot myself, I do think you should use it because then I can leech recommendations off your page whenever I feel like it. 😁

Once you get used to the format, it's super fucking handy.
Ok maybe I'll look into then. Free to use I'm assuming?

Just ignore 99.9% of the user base and you'll be good.

spacekook+(3).gif