EQ matching on snare drum

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012
I had this idea if you're sort on good microphones.

You put a cheap microphone side by side with a sm57 in the snare, you record a hit, you eq match the cheap to the sm57 and you get a great sound with your cheap mic while using the other one with something like a guitar amp (considering you record a live in the studio performance).

What do you think?

This board really needs to calm down with this EQ matching stuff.

If you try to do what you propose, you will very quickly realize that there is more to the recording of the snare than simple frequency response.

I think we need to get over this eq matching thing. Especially in this case you have to understand that EQ isn't the only thing that the mic picks up and affects. You would be ten times better off just using samples

Just remember that the sound of a microphone isn't simply its EQ curve/frequency response. It's also how the microphone captures transients, the mic's polar pattern, and the acoustic characteristics imparted by the physical design of the mic.

Yes sure a mic doesn't pick only EQ but that could actually work. I mean in this time we use shit like reamping, samples, digital saturation plugins, digital amps and others. Why be negative to EQ matching?

Frequency response isn't the be all and end all of a mic's sound though, you've got stuff like transient response and off axis pickup of bleed aswell (that is a BIG consideration when it comes to recording drums)

By all means mess around with it though, I know Clark Kent on here eq matches his drums to stuff like the Paramore drum samples etc, mind you he eq matches EVERYTHING ;)

Because many are proposing EQ matching as a front-line, first-call solution to avert the need to actually spend time, money or develop knowledge in order to create desirable results. It can be a handy solution to circumvent certain problems, or even as a self-applied educational tool, but one might want to hesitate before resorting to it as a permanent crutch.

try it, if it works for you, be happy.

Mind though that usually a 57 is cheaper than most match eq plugins that are good, so getting another 57 should be the easiest solution lol

Personally I wouldn't spend too much time on it honestly.

I mean in this time we use shit like reamping, samples, digital saturation plugins, digital amps and others. Why be negative to EQ matching?

Can you explain how any of that is the same as EQ matching?

LBTM said:
Yes sure a mic doesn't pick only EQ but that could actually work.

No, it couldn't. If the mic you use to match to a 57 doesn't have the same transient response, it won't be the same. If you use one that doesn't have the same pickup pattern, it won't be the same. It's not just frequency response involved.

As mentioned before, capturing the transient and isolating from the rest of the kit is even more crucial then the desired frequency response. If you're on a budget, try some cheaper dynamic mics by Audix or Shure, but listen carefully to their bleed and attack.
Even an sm57 requires frequency adjustment so the whole idea of matching a raw snare signal to another raw snare signal sounds a bit too lazy. Don't forget that recording drums is expensive in any case. Getting some new skins is a must, and you can't match eq that.

What about trying to get the best possible result with your cheap mic and by extension improving your engineering skills?

Fuck this pisses me off. This is everything that is wrong with our industry. Shitty cheap shortcuts to save money, on both sides of the front line. Your match eq will be no match for good engineering chops developed with knowledge and more importantly experience and good equipment. Take the pun and shove it up your ass. Match eq it to a big black cock.

I mean in this time we use shit like reamping, samples, digital saturation plugins, digital amps and others. Why be negative to EQ matching?

Hey dude, first you ask if it is possible to emulate an SM57 with a cheap mic by matching eq, and now you say that professional techniques such as the ones I highlighted in your post are shit?

Do you even know what are you talking about?

^ Whoah, I did not say that, that was LBTM. And I asked him the same thing, basically, and so far he has ignored my question of if he can even explain how those things are the same as match EQ.

I did not say something like that.

LBTM said:

You did. You see when you asked about EQ matching in at the end there? So, again, can you explain how they are the same thing?