EQ matching on snare drum

Offtopic (regarding bleed): I've recorded several albums using shure beta58, the same mic I sing in during rehearsals and gigs, as a snare top mic. And I really prefer it to sm57, its bleed is less annoying, too:)

In LBTM's defense, I think we are dealing with a miscommunication here. When LBTM used the word "shit" in reference to mentioned techniques, I don't think he insinuated that those techniques are shit. I think he just used that term as a blunt variety of "stuff". When I read the sentence that way, it turns into a pretty normal question, altough perhaps coming from a lack of background information or experience (no offense, LBTM).

I wasn't talking about the word "shit" that he used at all. I asked if he can explain how match EQ is the same as the other things he mentioned. Which is why I asked exactly that... multiple times now. Each time he responds by saying he didn't say that. Yet I can quote him lumping in match EQ with the other things. :loco:

I wasn't talking about the word "shit" that he used at all. I asked if he can explain how match EQ is the same as the other things he mentioned. Which is why I asked exactly that... multiple times now. Each time he responds by saying he didn't say that. Yet I can quote him lumping in match EQ with the other things. :loco:

Nah, I know. That part was about the situation between Behind and LBTM, so the thread wouldn't be derailed in that direction. I should probably have worded that more clearly.

I completely agree with you that those tools cannot be put in the same heap. It's comparing apples and oranges really.

Nah, I know. That part was about the situation between Behind and LBTM, so the thread wouldn't be derailed in that direction. I should probably have worded that more clearly.

Ah ok.

I completely agree with you that those tools cannot be put in the same heap. It's comparing apples and oranges really.

Precisely!

There are so many good samples that there's no need to match eq anything. Search for them.

Don't half the other threads on here feature the same guy getting his balls busted?? :p

It's hard for me to comprehend why it's not okay to eq-match samples. I know it doesn't feel right. There's no craft, no creativity. It leaves one unsatisfied, considering that person loves audio engineering.

That's not what he is talking about. He's saying place the mic (SM57), take an EQ snapshot of how it responds, then use a different mic and apply that EQ snapshot (match EQ), assuming it will sound exactly the same. As in, thinking if you do this it will be same as tracking the drums with a SM57 on the snare.

Which it won't, because that's not the entire picture.

@Trevoire: Yeah, sure, my apologies for showing the dude that match EQ ≠ reamping/etc. The last thing we need around here is someone that gets educated on engineering, I see your point.

I've got that Antares Mic Modeler. You can't make a dynamic mic sound like a condenser mic. You've got to understand that.

Match EQ works with distorted guitar tones since they are "annoying white noise" just like Ermz stated. Clean guitar tone is extremely hard to match.

You can match EQ a drum's spectrum but it will not be an important part of a drum's sound.

Since i´m a member of the forum i´ve collected billion´s of drum samples. I have to say, you can´t match any tonal character and dynamics of percussive stuff. Most of the time i try to find a nice balance between compression and transient design. EQing isn´t that important...

My two cents;)

This board really needs to calm down with this EQ matching stuff.

If you try to do what you propose, you will very quickly realize that there is more to the recording of the snare than simple frequency response.

I think we need to get over this eq matching thing. Especially in this case you have to understand that EQ isn't the only thing that the mic picks up and affects. You would be ten times better off just using samples

I couldn't agree more.
Everyone thinks EQ matching saves the day if ou can't use your own ears and if you don't know how to record/mix

It doesn't!

Okay, I get the point now! There are too many variables to consider when match eq-ing sources that have a really dynamic frequency response, unlike heavy rock/metal guitars with which you have to use the same tuning, amp, settings, pickups, wood, string-age, etc in order to get decent results. That kind of source is compressed to hell and back with very little differences in frequency response, somewhat irrespective of what you're playing, especially if you're doing power chords, mutes, lots of insanity on the low strings... you know what I mean.