EQ Question

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
What is the small dip(s) you filter in the EQ to take out the fuzzyness of guitars? I used to know this but ive now done a blank! I know about the really low and high stuff but there was a narrow cut/boost near 250Hz I think.... ARGH!:erk:

The fizz? I'd try playing with the shit between 6k and 10k... 250Hz would be the low notes on your unwound B string, I don't think that's where all of the fizzle comes from.

Jeff

I think your right, I dont really know where I got the 250hz from. My guitar is still a bit fizzy and farty for my liking but I shall try having a play with the frequencies you suggest :) Thanks

Naw im not using a POD but ive tried taking out the real highs and lows and the guitars sound as thin as paper, there again I might have took a bit much of the low mids out. I really need to learn a lot more about making guitars sound good. Ive got a good drum sound and I play guitar?! Gotta start somewhere I guess lol

That's basically the way things should operate - if you want to figure out what does what, set the Q to a narrow setting, drop more than 3-5 (I do about 10-15 to get ballpark range ideas), and figure out what goes where.

I usually dip out a lot of stuff between 8k and 12k, but I don't do it all with one setting because then it starts to sound 'blanketed' and doesn't get the job done as well as I'd like.

Final note - the most natural way to reduce fizz is to move the speaker away from the center. It's amazing how much difference you can make just not pointing the mic at the dustcap - go for the seam between cap and cone and play with it from there. Half a centimeter of movement can make all of the difference - I don't even feel the need to EQ my guitar tracks because I found the right spots for an i5 and a 57 on my 212 combo, and having a full and clear sound that doesn't sound like a soda fountain going into the DAW really makes a world of difference.

Jeff

Yeah, well ive cut less low mids and it seems to have helped spmehwhat. I might post a clip, but the play is totally gash! haha, ill tweak a bit then if it goes tits up ill whack a raw track on here.

i'll shelve everyting above 12k out on high gain guitars and sometimes go as low as 9k depending on the original sound. Other than that i rarely cut on high gain sounds with an eq. Im not saying its wrong as alot of guitars would really need some cuts here and there but a good solid rhythm tone probably wont need any cutting besides the high and low shelfs. Its just all about finding that sweet spot on the speaker and gettin that mic right in there and you shouldnt have any real problematic frequencies.

the annoying freq's with guitar have been(estimations):
2,6khz piercing shit
3,3khz more of the same.

just cut those (or near there) with a narrow Q eq and be happy :)

i'll shelve everyting above 12k out on high gain guitars and sometimes go as low as 9k depending on the original sound. Other than that i rarely cut on high gain sounds with an eq. Im not saying its wrong as alot of guitars would really need some cuts here and there but a good solid rhythm tone probably wont need any cutting besides the high and low shelfs. Its just all about finding that sweet spot on the speaker and gettin that mic right in there and you shouldnt have any real problematic frequencies.

:kickass: This is the guy you wanna get guitar sound tips from! Knock the fizz out at the mic and amp settings. And double those bitches quick! Once you get the tone and the playing down, double that bitch quick. Don't stop for a smoke or a piss between takes. You want to nail those takes identical!