Equipment Maint question

rabies

Proud IMG Guitarist!
Apr 16, 2001
Maryland USA
Visit site
Anybody got good advice on how to clean pots?

My power amp. It has a volume knob. Everytime I turn it, I get a loud crackle through my speakers. I am thinkings its because the contacts inside are dirty. Once the plastic dial is off, the pot itself is one solid piece. Does anybody know how to fix/clean this?

Try some compressed air and see if that fixes it. If not you can get some spray cleaner from Radio shack or some other electronic supply that will work. It's usually called tuner cleaner or something like that.

As a last resort you can try to get a drop or two of some very light oil in there and that usually clears it up, but not for long. :( When those damn things go bad, they really go bad and you usually can't do much about it. It's not so much a matter of getting them clean as it is a matter of the metal developing surface corrosion that builds up over time. The oil (or the cleaner that Mr Hyde mentioned) will help to loosen and push aside the corrosion, but it's just a matter of time before it builds right back up again.

Speaking of that, I still need to get this Nightbass unit reconditioned at the factory. I've been meaning to send it in, but just haven't had the time. :mad: I'm gonna have to get that done. :rolleyes: