Europe are doing a comeback!

Crusader

Metal addict
Sep 13, 2002
Read it in the paper today, Europe has payed their tax depts and sort out all of their problems, etc, and are now looking for a record company! They say that the upcoming album will be tougher and heavier than before, I'm really curious how that will sound!

EUROPE!!?? That fuckin countdown song basically hammered the final nail in rocks coffin in the 80's and confirmed the genre as a joke, this band we do not need a second time around, ever.

Great News ! Another 80's band rocking into the 2000's... ummm... Geez, if you guys can't appreciate that there's something wrong, remeber Saxon - that '80's band?..... ummm....

Why base your opinions on one song (Final Countdown) ? Europe has many great songs, and the John Norum solo albums throughout the 90's have some fantastic heavy songs - he's one of the worlds top guitarists!

This new album will be eagerly anticipated !

Saracen84 said:
Great News ! Another 80's band rocking into the 2000's... ummm... Geez, if you guys can't appreciate that there's something wrong, remeber Saxon - that '80's band?..... ummm....

Why base your opinions on one song (Final Countdown) ? Europe has many great songs, and the John Norum solo albums throughout the 90's have some fantastic heavy songs - he's one of the worlds top guitarists!

This new album will be eagerly anticipated !

PArptastic, if they tour I'll go.

Me too...Saw them back in the 80s and they rocked back then...From what I heard they might play the big festivals next year, much like White Lion...

Talked to John Norum after one of his Dokkewn shows here in Germany and he already told me this thing about a possible reunification.

Heard some interesting names last night about the possible new members of White Lion...although I doubt that Stephen Pearcy would fit in here..

I think Europe is a good band, or was, you might put it that way too, I don't know yet. Except the very famous Final Countdown (how many covers on this one was it?), you should hear Rock the Night, or Carrie, both pretty familiar too.
And on the latest pictures of the band I've seen, they had dropped the "poodle" haircuts and gone with straight hair, so it is quite exciting what type of music they will create next.

Yeah - Parptastic!!!

Sorry, The final countdown as an album is pretty damn poor. It was the final countdown at the age of 11, which tuned be into rock music, SAXON followed.

Its all well and good to slate them for that album, there are probably only 3 decent songs on it.

But if you go further back, you have stuff like "In the future to come; Seven Doors Hotel; Boyazont" from the first album.... from the 2nd "Stormwind; Scream of Anger; Aphastasia; Wings of Tomorrow" - It's actually Metal and NIL keyboard.

I know the production wasn't there at the time, but Scream of Anger and Wings of Tomorrow had de-tuned guitars, and if you crossed the riffs and slowed it down slightly you have a sound similar to Travellers in Time and Metalhead.

The Final Countdown as an album is full of keyboards, Out of this World (4th Album) gets even worse. But the 5th album Prisoners In Paradise has a heavier sound.

It's laden with keyboards, but with some heavy riffs. All or nothing has a cracking riff to start off with but decends into formulaic chorus orientated rock. Best of the album is "Mind in the Gutter" which has a sleazy blues riff and a vocals to match.

John Norum - However, is a fantastic guitarist - but not a songwriter. Some of his work though is stunningly good.

The jury is not out for me..... Welcome Back Europe!!!

....Beats the hell out of AOR like Def Leopold and Bon Jiovarni any day.

Just because of this I dug up the old Europe records, cause I've got them all actually - actually saw them twice too, listened to them again and I must say - I still like them. Even though I can't seem to find anybody else who does.

Their song Dreamer has a special meaning to me from my school years...Still gets to me.

The first two suffers from the production but they are quite heavy and still melodic at the same time. Then they got more into "radio hits" kind of rock but still some good melodies. I've always thought that Tempest is a good songwriter - and a good singer. I've got his solo records too - the first is very good, the second is alright but the third really sucks.
And Norum really is an excellent guitarist. In my opinion their fall began when he left, Marcello is a very good guitarist too but something really changed when Norum left. Norum's solo records have never really worked for me though even if he's clearly into heavier things than the way Europe was heading.
But with him back I sure will check them out if they release new material...

Good for you Eagle and so you should be.I on the other hand think they are shit.It would be nice however if they could prove me wrong like so many bands have done so in the past.Yes i'm talking to you UFO,Meagadeth and counless others.

Rock me til I hit that floor
Rock me til I take no more
Rock this hungry heart of mine
Rock me down right to the ground
Rock me like you never done before
Then rock me just a little bit more