european tour 2008!

Not really a lot wrong with the setlist if you ask me. Can't wait to hear the new songs in Manchester on Sunday, especially Lotus Eater, plus looking forward to Godhead's Lament, if they play it.

Mikael, if you do suddenly switch the setlist on or before Sunday, please don't drop Hope Leaves. Have been longing to hear that one live.

The setlist looks pretty cool to me. Tonight is only my second time seeing the band, but I seriously can't imagine getting bored of those songs...

Yeah it is the carling academy, and I can see why they do, but at 9:45? That's just stupid.

Ah well, have to see how it goes tomorrow.

that's really fucked me off. they should really pick a different venue, because quite frankly it's out of order if fans are receiving a worse experience than those who've been to the other venues.

great hall, exeter. ftw.

Simple thing is if they started earlier. I remember when I went to Megadeth earlier this year at the Carling Academy in Brum and the curfew was 10pm. They opened doors about 5:30pm and the first band came on at 6ish. Megadeth played about 1hr45 which is a decent set length imo.

We'll see what happens tonight :) Can't wait to see Opeth again in such a short space of time and secretly hoping for Bleak. :D

Clunge (and anyone else at Bristol tomorrow), the friday night curfew is shite, I will be there ONLY because its Opeth, I refuse to go to any gigs on a friday there now. The last one was Dilinger Escape Plan and they only had time to play 45mins, and I got back home in daylight (it was summer) wtf!!

I can see them dropping one or even two off that setlist.

oh, and Ometh I agree totally, to make a world class band pack up by 9.45 and compromise their creativity and shorten the set just so a dodgy disco can fire up (every friday), is bollox, oh well, guess they have to keep all the chavs happy eh?

Clunge (and anyone else at Bristol tomorrow), the friday night curfew is shite, I will be there ONLY because its Opeth, I refuse to go to any gigs on a friday there now. The last one was Dilinger Escape Plan and they only had time to play 45mins, and I got back home in daylight (it was summer) wtf!!

I can see them dropping one or even two off that setlist.

Was that Dillinger with Between the Buried and Me? I'm pretty sure Dillinger played longer than that.

But the curfew is ghey

Hello!

In Birmingham now. Just getting into touring mode again.

As for your complaints on the setlist. I think we do switch songs around quite a lot. As we started the tour last Spring we played Wreath, Masters, To rid etc. We've done Serenity, Night & silent water, we've done Harvest. We rotate songs pretty often I think, and we did leave some "faves" out of the set during the whole Summer too.

Apart from a small number of fans who are travelling around to see more gigs than one on a tour, I think this setlist is a rather pleasing one for the majority of the crowd. We will rotate songs again for next year too and we ARE rehearsing songs such as Harlequin forest, Karma, Hessian peel, Burden, The Moor and stuff like that. Weve talked about bringing Leper back into the set as well. We played that all the time before.

The only complaint I have about this tour we're on now is that we have a strickt curfew, and in some cases we'll get fined up to a 1000 pounds per minute if we run over. Since we have 2 support bands we're playing 1hr 30 most nights which is alright, yet the 2hrs we did in the US felt perfect for me. Nevertheless, I hope you come out to see us, we're very much on form I think!

I know some of you have a "dream" setlist which is cool, but personally I think this one is not too shabby.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for responding Mike! I'm really glad this got your attention. I do know and appreciate that you're rotating songs, the problem the way I see it is that the songs rotated are more or less the same. With the exception of Wreath, you've basically been rotating the same collection of songs from Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. I think many of us who've seen you on the last couple of tours long to hear tracks never played before, and it would be awesome if one or two such surprises would be included each time you're on a new tour.

That being said, I love Godheads Lament and it will be a crushing experience to see it again ... plus seeing Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater for the first time is also something I really look forward to!

well if it was Fubar then it wasn't much more, BTBAM played for 45 mins aswell then you had the other band and maybe 45 mins of set changes.

Anyway it is wank, having said that I am really looking forward to Opeth, and who knows maybe less is more!!

I'll be in a Cynic -Focus shirt and a black jacket if anyone wants to say hi at Shepherds Bush tonight! Going alone since my friend bailed on me (the wanker!)

Ometh, I reckon we'll get our 1.5 hrs worth, they may drop one tune, hopefully it won't be Godhead's Lament.

Can't wait to see Opeth in Manchester on Sunday. Anybody know what the time the curfew will be?

I hope so much that Bleak is in the setlist.

Sunday can't come quick enough!

wow ... rehearsing Harlequin ... i cant belive this is true! =) if i see this song live in december in germany, ill go nuts! promised
buuuut april ethereal is my "dream live song" :p