European Union erasing British culture?

fah-q said:
[It's called reparations in the states. I wonder if they will have the English equivalent of affirmative action soon? [/COLOR]

We do have affirmative action here. As far as I can remember there are racial quotas for some careers like the police and the army - I'll try to find links. The Chairman of the BBC described the corporation as being "hideously white" and there has been criticism that too many journalists are white.

There is this link
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache...ative+action+britain&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

Now the Arts Council England, the government-financed body that subsidizes the performing arts in England, has decided to speed things up by introducing affirmative action to culture. Specifically, it wants the 1,100 cultural organizations that receive its help to employ minorities, to present black, Asian and other ethnic art, and to reach out to minorities unaccustomed to attending cultural events. Further, it has given the initiative teeth by linking its continuing financial support to adoption and execution of what it calls racial equality action plans.

"We will closely monitor the development of your action plan and your progress in meeting your race equality objectives," the council noted in a 110-page instruction manual, "and future funding may include considerations on your ability to meet race equality targets." In other words, go multiethnic or risk bankruptcy.

More than a few cultural administrators have been taken by surprise. Until now, while the council's beneficiaries have included ethnic minorities engaged in artistic activities, most of its annual budget of £412 million, or $753 million, has gone to mainstream theater, dance, opera and classical music (major museums are supported directly by the government). Never before has the council tried to dictate quite so specifically how this money should be spent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/07/23/do2310.xml
Mr Reid has blamed Home Office staff for their failures, but the racial quotas were imposed by his Government. Many officials, police officers and others have watched in stunned disbelief while recruitment on merit has been discarded to meet ethnic targets. They quickly learnt that it was best to keep quiet, and staff who spoke up in favour of fair procedures found themselves in hot water for "inappropriate behaviour".

John Reid has embarked on a major transformation of the Home Office, but one of the causes of its failure has been ignored. In 1999 it was set a target to ensure that 25 per cent of its work force in London was from ethnic minorities by 2009. It exceeded the target by the halfway stage in 2004 and ethnic minorities now make up more than 38 per cent of head office. However, the Home Office "milestone report" also drew attention to an unwelcome side-effect.

Members of ethnic minorities have not performed as well as white staff in Civil Service examinations. Civil servants who hope for promotion attend "assessment centres", where they take written tests, carry out exercises and are interviewed. In 2004, the results for higher executive officer and Grade 7 assessments were "again disappointing". The pass rate for minority ethnic staff was "lower than for white staff

veil the sky said:
colour is a separate issue to cultural identity though.

Curiously, that is only(allegedly)true if one is White. Race and ethnicity are most assuredly inseperable from non-white culture and they demand that it is acknowledged as being so. Whites have disallowed themselves that privilege.

OldScratch said:
Curiously, that is only(allegedly)true if one is White. Race and ethnicity are most assuredly inseperable from non-white culture and they demand that it is acknowledged as being so. Whites have disallowed themselves that privilege.

While the culture distorters who control our media are happy for non whites to exhibit "race pride", it is considered to be the lowest possible thing for a white man to have a similar attitude to his kind. White folks must all be "free traders", "internationalists", "cosmopolitans" and "citizens of the world".

The idea of "humanity"and "the Rights of Man" liberated the culture from its feeling of unconscious superiority and its pride in exclusiveness - something every individual culture needs to feel for its own group self-respect.

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Every individual may be regarded as representing the ascending or descending line of life. When one has decided which, one has thereby established a canon for the value of his egoism".

Norsemaiden said:
The afirmative action seems to be colour based doesn't it?

of course it does. that's what makes it trite and irrelevant.

but my implication was that talk of reparations and affirmative action is irrelevant to what the topic was supposed to be.

i wasn't trying to sidetrack you all into trivial semantic concerns.

Isn't this true for all nations? I mean, I would blame globalization and so on for the loss of culture.

But here in sweden it's considered bad to think there's a 'swedish culture'. But we have a fucked up immigrant politics.