Evergrey - When the Walls Go Down

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
Gets my vote for song of the year, ever heard something so incredibly... powerful? So much anger and pain, and so original, never heard a song like this before.

Any comments on the fabulous The Inner Circle?

I hated that CD. What a borefest. They turned from a great Prog/Power metal band to a cheesy, gloomy goth "metal" group. I still enjoyed seeing them live quite a bit, I was just very dissapointed with The Inner Circle.

Recreation Day and In Search of Truth = great albums
The Inner Circle = crap

Yeah, I heard a track off the Inner Circle release and found none of the magic or wonder that enveloped their previous output.

I actually really liked The Inner Circle.. I don't really see how When The Walls Go Down is your pick for best track of the year.. i mean its only an instrumental. The best song on the album is definitely the first one, A Touch of Blessing.

Damn. I liked this album a lot and don't think Evergrey has put out a bad album yet. I didn't like it too much on the first listen and then it hooked me big time. Although I wouldn't give it song of the year, it is very cool.

You know, I really liked Recreation Day, and dug a lot of stuff off of Solitude... and In Search... But I gather that this new album isn't very impressive. I heard two new songs live, "A Touch of Blessing" and "More Than Ever." The former, as a lead single, was a pretty catchy prog/power tune with nice vocal lines; the latter mostly sucked. Modern monotone riffing combined with pseudo-atmospheric gothique keyboards. So I guess that's a better reflection of Circle.

I like some of what Evergey does. I get bored with them pretty easily though.
Inner Circle hasn't really appeared to me either.

A few songs off Solitude and Recreation are killer, but otherwise it seems to be slim pickings.

I think that they are a great band, however I don't know why they had to put out an album so quickly after "Recreation Day". That album (an awesome one at that!) came out in early 2003, so a 2004 release of the new one screams a rushed effort. I think it is good, but not great, definitely lacking some firepower in a lot of the songs.

Here's to hoping that they put out another great release down the line.

A few things...

- You cannot give a decent opinion of an album after listening to a couple of tracks. The Inner Circle needs to be heard from beginning to end, paying attention to the lyrics and the way the music flows.

- Recreation Day has excellent songs, but a few weak ones, The Inner Circle doesn't. Every track has some meaning in the story, and the music helps the mood quite a bit.

- I do agree that the best song could be A Touch of Blessing, however When the Walls Go Down is very original for an instrumental, goes so well with the words and it's an excellent ending to the album.

- The fact that they don't sound so power/prog anymore is one of the coolest things for me. Sure ISOT is awesome, but the new Evergrey has a darker sound with beautiful piano and just an overall better feeling. The band keeps growing and evolving, sure they lose fans in the process, but the music has improved a lot. The same goes to the lyrics.