Evergrey's New Album: A Return to Form?

Xenoslayer33

New Metal Member
Feb 23, 2006
Hey all, I rarely post on the forums, in fact I may not have ever posted here before...

I am a huge Evergrey fan like many of you.. I own all their albums, the DVD, and I've seen em jam with Children of Bodom and Iced Earth. Needless to say, I was slightly disappointed with Monday Morning Apocalypse. Not that the album wasn't good, it just strayed too far from the Evergrey I know and love.:headbang:

My question then, is directed to both fans and Evergrey themselves: With the change of a new bassist and feedback from fans, do you think the new Evergrey album will be a return to the form we love? Or will they continue to develop this mainstream, cliched style of shorter songs? Will we see a more progressive side, with frequent time-changes solos, and complexity? Or will we again see the repetitive chorus and riff segments?

Only time will tell of course, but what do you think?

Since MMA was more regression than progression in terms of musicianship, hopefully something more creative is around the corner. If repeating the same simplistic riff and chorus over and over again is progress and growth, count me in for some retreaded ideas.

i can understand them wanting to progress but the way they changed with MMA didnt really appeal to me near as much as their old albums so hopefully this one will appeal to me more even if it is quite different from their earlier albums which i expect it will be. :)

I agree with most of you concerning MMA; it just wasn't up to standards. While it certainly rocks hard, it's difficult to listen to over and over, simply because it becomes boring. I'm not asking for "In Search of Truth 2", but I'd like to see some of the complexity of the older albums.

Do Tom and the gang ever post on the forums? I'd like them to see this thread and post their thoughts and ideas. Growing as a musician is fundamental, but ignoring fans and regressing into monotony is not the way to go. Hopefully they will choose the former and deepen their prog roots. This is what we want, and I know I speak for many of you.

Do Tom and the gang ever post on the forums? I'd like them to see this thread and post their thoughts and ideas. Growing as a musician is fundamental, but ignoring fans and regressing into monotony is not the way to go. Hopefully they will choose the former and deepen their prog roots. This is what we want, and I know I speak for many of you.

Yes, some of them do/have post occasionally. However, I would assume they like to stay out of discussions whether or not it's about to 'please' fans or do their own stuff regardless. Simply because, in my humble opinion, I'm quite convinced they truly believe that the last thing they've done always is the best in their perspective.

It's progression for them cause they didn't do simplistic riffs and choruses before!

I can understand that they don't wanna do the same thing all their career.
And they probably never wanna go backwards.

I'm just saying that progress is not just change, but a forward movement. An improvement. And to me and many others MMA is a change, but not a positive step.

I know the band doesn't owe us anything or have to tailor their sound to anyone. As a fan its just disappointing, because they did that style so well, and no one else that I have heard even comes close (for me anyway).

On MMA they tried to take their music to a different direction, i would not call it "progressing". Some of their fans loved the new direction and some didn't.
Personally, i enjoyed the latest release and I'm looking forward to their next album. I trust them to produce the best album within their musical capabilities.

im a bit tired of discussing forth and back about MMA. Now im really REALLY exited to see how the next album turns out! Cover art, Lyrics, theme and of course the music... i hope we can get a little studio diary so we can follow the progress.

well, i realy hope a new-old album. not that MMA wasn't good, it was, but evergrey must continue with the dark side, dark and heavy, that is all that matters. we had excellent songs and lyrics from the inner circle album, songs that changed me, that lyrics opened my eyes for certain things.
i just don't get it why they are back to studio if the the MMA album was "just" released.
i'm already eating my all fingers waiting the album.
that's it. ciao ciao

what a bunch of whiners!!! i loved MMA (by far their best effort) I hope they will do whatever they want. i would not want them to make any step back (i know it's not my business :heh: ). making part 2 of any album doesn't make sense. look at Queensryche. that album is...ehmmm...let's say, it doesn't live up to the hype...:devil: keep it up guys.:headbang:

I have a good feeling had they produced MMA themselves, the album would not have been criticized as badly as it has. The songs on that album absolutely slay in a live setting.

what a bunch of whiners!!! i loved MMA (by far their best effort) I hope they will do whatever they want. i would not want them to make any step back (i know it's not my business :heh: ). making part 2 of any album doesn't make sense. look at Queensryche. that album is...ehmmm...let's say, it doesn't live up to the hype...:devil: keep it up guys.:headbang:

you just took the words right out of my mouth... :headbang: