Everybody - Please read this (from Vince)

Bloodstock

Sep 9, 2002
www.bloodstock.uk.com
WHY BANDS ONLY PLAY LONDON
Unfortunately for the music style we know as Heavy Metal / Power Metal / Euro Metal, it is a "venues driven" market. This means that if a venue will not get a significant attendance then it is THEIR decision not to play a band.

Many European bands would like to play other shows in the UK except London. There are also promoters outside of London (AMUST4MUSIC) willing to promote and support a band, however, when it comes to securing a venue, this is where the problems begin. The venue would like a guarantee that if attendance is not met then the promoter has to pay a premium, they do not want to open up for a 1/4 full audience. This premium, the promoter will not pay, as it means a major gamble and a potential loss will be made on the show. The band will not cover this premium as they have their own costs to get to the UK (If it is too expensive they will not come). It becomes a vicious circle, the bands want to do the shows, the fans want the shows over here, the promoters will promote the shows (albeit without making a loss), the venues will NOT play the shows!

However, there is a solution.

Prove to the venues that there is an audience, by buying your ticket as soon as possible in advance of the show. The venue will gain confidence in the type of music and be prepared to stage another show (example – Derby Assembly Rooms and the BLOODSTOCK festival, now in its 4th year).

Now then, PRIMAL FEAR and AMUST4MUSIC have taken an enormous risk by staging a show at Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall in the Midlands on March 6th 2004. We have convinced the venue (1000 capacity) there is an audience outside of London for this type of show, after all we only need 1/3 of the Bloodstock audience (600 attendees) to make it a success don’t we? Even with their first appearance at Bloodstock01, Primal Fear played to 400 fans.

If the Primal Fear show is left to a "walk-up", i.e. you leave it until the day of the show to decide to go, then it is unlikely both the venue and promoter will ever stage another show.

Lets look at a theoretical situation – ANOTHER TOP EURO METAL BAND announce a Euro tour in January for some July shows and want to play the UK. However we cannot secure a venue as they have not played the UK before and deemed too risky. Yet, there are 100’s of UK fans who do want to see them. If we have sold several hundred tickets by January for the Primal Fear show on March 6th then the venue’s confidence would have been raised, and they would be willing to stage another show of this type, i.e they would book THE BAND in January. So, the solution is – support the shows which ARE promoted, buy your tickets well in advance and MORE shows will come! Leave it to the last minute to buy your ticket and the Promoter has missed the chance to book another great band, and the UK once again has been missed out!

Then you may get your favourite band to the UK in the end. Alternatively, wait for your favourite band to arrive within the next 10 years, and they may play a low-key 1 off gig in London just when you are on holiday!

PLEASE, BUY YOUR TICKETS EARLY

SUPPORT THE PROMOTER

INFLUENCE MORE SHOWS IN THE UK

PRIMAL FEAR - 6th March 2004 - Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall​
tickets available now at www.bloodstock.uk.com

What about those of us who live in London though?

More gigs in London I say! It's not like there's anything worth bothering about outside the M25 anyway. :)

Seriously though, it is a good point, and one everyone should take note of. Unfortunately it's not possible for me to get to Wolverhampton this time, but the rest of you should!

I would love to go up and see them there as well as in London, but due to my inability to be able to drive it is just not possible for me to make it. If anything changes then i will come, but it looks unlikely at the moment :(

This isn't really true. It's promoters who book and pay bands.
They'll have some deal with the venue to hire it for the evening.
It works the same for rock show, club nights, birthday parties or whatever.

The promoter might agree to pay a flat fee for the hire or maybe something based on the number of people who attend. The promoter might even get it for nothing, if the venue is sure they'll make a lot at the bar.

> > WHY BANDS ONLY PLAY LONDON
> > Unfortunately for the music style we know as Heavy Metal / Power Metal /
> > Euro Metal, it is a "venues driven" market. This means that if a venue will
> > not get a significant attendance then it is THEIR decision not to play a
> > band.
>
> > Many European bands would like to play other shows in the UK except
> > London. There are also promoters outside of London (AMUST4MUSIC)
> > willing to promote and support a band, however, when it comes to securing
> > a venue, this is where the problems begin. The venue would like a
> > guarantee that if attendance is not met then the promoter has to pay a
> > premium, they do not want to open up for a 1/4 full audience.
>

Basically, the venue will agree to a cut of the door if they're fairly sure of there being a lot of people there, otherwise they'll want a flat fee up-front. If the promoter is sure that the gig will be popular they should be happy to pay the flat fee: if the gig's a sell-out they probably
make more money that way, not having to give the venue a cut of each ticket sold.

I think the venue's position is reasonable, especially with Euro-metal that they've never heard of before.

> > This premium, the promoter will not pay, as it means a major gamble and a
> > potential loss will be made on the show.
>

It _is_ the promoter who is expected to gamble, but they can make a lot of money if they know what they're doing so it's only fair. You can't expect the band to gamble their money really and venues can't be experts in all styles of music.

> > The band will not cover this premium as they have their own costs to get to the UK > (If it is too expensive they will not come).

The band shouldn't be expected to take a gamble, though some might want to. The cost of them getting to the UK might be borne by the band or the promoter, someone has to pay, it's not reasonable to link it to the venue particularly.

> > It becomes a vicious circle, the bands
> > want to do the shows, the fans want the shows over here, the promoters will
> > promote the shows (albeit without making a loss), the venues will NOT
> > play the shows!
> >

Not true. Any venue will host pretty much any gig if they don't think they're going to make a loss on it. This sounds like a promoter who isn't happy with the risk part of his job.

> > However, there is a solution.
> >
> >
> > Prove to the venues that there is an audience, by buying your ticket as soon
> > as possible in advance of the show. The venue will gain confidence in the
> > type of music and be prepared to stage another show.
>
>

This doesn't make sense. IF the venue were to judge how popular a show was they'd go on how many people actually paid to get in, not how early they bought their tickets.
But the venue doesn't make such judgements, the promoter does.

This sounds like it's coming from a promoter who is putting on a gig and is trying to recoup his stake as early as possible.
Maybe they've provisionally scheduled a show which they claim is definitely happening but they know that they're going to pull it if they don't get enough pre-sales. (All those gigs planned for TJs!)

Some venues have their own promoters. It might seem like a good idea to petition those to put on more euro-metal but it's really not popular or well known enough.

The best thing to do is to promote your own shows...

To get a band over from mainland Europe there's the fixed cost of flying/ferrying them and their equipment which will be prohibitively high for just one gig, so you really need to arrange a small tour.

Plan several gigs in places a reasonable distance apart with cheap transport links between them. Use locals as free roadies and for expert knowledge of venue eg put on metal in TJs rather than the Welsh Club.

If you have faith in euro-metal agree to pay the band a fee independent of the number of people who turn up and pay each venue similarly. Get written confirmation.

You might even make some money that way, if loads of people turn up. But I doubt it.
Other genres who have acts who are prepared to slum it a bit more do better I think, eg punk/hardcore playing tiny dingy venues and kipping on people's floors.

Catharsis said:
What about those of us who live in London though?

More gigs in London I say! It's not like there's anything worth bothering about outside the M25 anyway. :)

Seriously though, it is a good point, and one everyone should take note of. Unfortunately it's not possible for me to get to Wolverhampton this time, but the rest of you should!
More gigs in the north i say! :D:D:D:D

Mei said:
This isn't really true. It's promoters who book and pay bands.(Agreed)
They'll have some deal with the venue to hire it for the evening (Disagree as venues we approached will only accept "name" bands or "cover" bands which will pull a crowd).
It works the same for rock show, club nights, birthday parties or whatever (Can't compare this to a Euro Metal band as these are definitive crowd pullers).

The promoter might agree to pay a flat fee for the hire or maybe something based on the number of people who attend. The promoter might even get it for nothing, if the venue is sure they'll make a lot at the bar.

My initial email refers specifically to the promotion of Euro metal outside of London. When looking for a venue for Primal Fear we were turned down many times due to the venues not willing to accept an "unknown" band / style of music. They do not want a half full venue. Yes it is the promoters who book and pay bands, but we need the buy-in from venues to take on part of the risk also. We have proved this type of music is popular in the Midlands with Bloodstock (after 3 years!), and are trying to expand with specific shows. The Wulfrun Hall listened and accepted our argument and have taken the risk to help us put on this show - as said before we hope 600 Bloodstock fans will make it!)

> > WHY BANDS ONLY PLAY LONDON
> > Unfortunately for the music style we know as Heavy Metal / Power Metal /
> > Euro Metal, it is a "venues driven" market. This means that if a venue will
> > not get a significant attendance then it is THEIR decision not to play a
> > band.
>
> > Many European bands would like to play other shows in the UK except
> > London. There are also promoters outside of London (AMUST4MUSIC)
> > willing to promote and support a band, however, when it comes to securing
> > a venue, this is where the problems begin. The venue would like a
> > guarantee that if attendance is not met then the promoter has to pay a
> > premium, they do not want to open up for a 1/4 full audience.
>

Basically, the venue will agree to a cut of the door if they're fairly sure of there being a lot of people there (unknown with Euro Metal viz The Gathering at Dudley JB's - 30 people attended!), otherwise they'll want a flat fee up-front. If the promoter is sure that the gig will be popular they should be happy to pay the flat fee (We are trying to build on the reputation of Bloodstock to draw people to this show, as it is a first for this type of music outside London): if the gig's a sell-out they probably
make more money that way, not having to give the venue a cut of each ticket sold.

I think the venue's position is reasonable, especially with Euro-metal that they've never heard of before.(The venues position is reasonable - they will not take the risk, hence very few if any Euro Metal acts playing outside London).

> > This premium, the promoter will not pay, as it means a major gamble and a
> > potential loss will be made on the show.
>

It _is_ the promoter who is expected to gamble, but they can make a lot of money if they know what they're doing so it's only fair. You can't expect the band to gamble their money really and venues can't be experts in all styles of music.

In this day and age of Euro Metal there are fewer promoters for this type of music because they will not take the gamble. We are treading carefully and want a successful show, but we cannot rely on "walk-ups" anymore. A significant amount of pre-sales will help any promoter / venue / bands reputation.

> > The band will not cover this premium as they have their own costs to get to the UK > (If it is too expensive they will not come).

The band shouldn't be expected to take a gamble, though some might want to (Some do). The cost of them getting to the UK might be borne by the band or the promoter, someone has to pay, it's not reasonable to link it to the venue particularly (Some venues will only put a band on if the band guarantees a premium, this is actually how most London shows take place where the venues do put a show on at the cost of the band).

> > It becomes a vicious circle, the bands
> > want to do the shows, the fans want the shows over here, the promoters will
> > promote the shows (albeit without making a loss), the venues will NOT
> > play the shows!
> >

Not true. Any venue will host pretty much any gig if they don't think they're going to make a loss on it (Exactly - if they don't think they're going to make a loss on it - With Euro Metal most think they are going to make a loss, hence our struggle to secure a venue). This sounds like a promoter who isn't happy with the risk part of his job.(We are happy with the risk - 3 years of making a loss on Bloodstock is'nt bad, however we are trying to convert the ticket buying public to help out, i.e. buy in advance, venue becomes happy with Euro Metal, we put on other shows and don't miss the boat on other acts)

> > However, there is a solution.
> >
> >
> > Prove to the venues that there is an audience, by buying your ticket as soon
> > as possible in advance of the show. The venue will gain confidence in the
> > type of music and be prepared to stage another show.
>
>

This doesn't make sense. IF the venue were to judge how popular a show was they'd go on how many people actually paid to get in, not how early they bought their tickets (If the venue has not played a Euro Metal band then they have nothing to compare it to, hence the venues we contacted all want to know estimated pre-sales figures for a Euro Metal band - If we were promoting Thunder or The Darkness or Arch Enemy or Skid Row or UFO, Priest Motorhead, Leppard, etc etc, then no problem, but we are only referring to a particular style of music - Euro Metal).
But the venue doesn't make such judgements, the promoter does.(Yes, the promoter makes the judgement but still has to present it to the venue - ref venues wanting pre-sales estimates. Some London venues have in fact accepted guarantees from bands as stated above).

This sounds like it's coming from a promoter who is putting on a gig and is trying to recoup his stake as early as possible. (Why not? A different mode of marketing a show it may be. But the main reason for this is to expand the amount of Euro Metal style shows. We can only do this based on the pre-sales from one show which then secures the venue, which then provides the capital to secure the next band who is touring. If we take £5k pre-sales for Primal Fear by January - we can book another Euro act who wants to schedule a show in July. If we wait until the March date for sales of Primal Fear "on the door" then we will have missed the opportunity to book this other band and they then do not come to the UK).
Maybe they've provisionally scheduled a show which they claim is definitely happening but they know that they're going to pull it if they don't get enough pre-sales. (All those gigs planned for TJs!)

Some venues have their own promoters. It might seem like a good idea to petition those to put on more euro-metal but it's really not popular or well known enough. (Exactly - this is what we are trying to strive for. Bloodstock is a success now. Venues should take note and have the vision we have in putting on more shows - success will come)

The best thing to do is to promote your own shows...(We do!)

To get a band over from mainland Europe there's the fixed cost of flying/ferrying them and their equipment which will be prohibitively high for just one gig, so you really need to arrange a small tour.(The UK market for Euro Metal cannot stand a small tour - hence most bands only doing 1 show in London most of the time. We feel there is a market for another show outside of London but not a tour, hence trying to find a venue which will buy in to the concept of a Euro Metal show linked to Bloodstock which may draw 600-800 people or more!)

Plan several gigs in places a reasonable distance apart with cheap transport links between them. Use locals as free roadies and for expert knowledge of venue eg put on metal in TJs rather than the Welsh Club.

If you have faith in euro-metal agree to pay the band a fee independent of the number of people who turn up and pay each venue similarly. Get written confirmation.(This is what we are doing)

You might even make some money that way, if loads of people turn up. But I doubt it.
Other genres who have acts who are prepared to slum it a bit more do better I think, eg punk/hardcore playing tiny dingy venues and kipping on people's floors.(Most Euro Metal bands are big in mainland Europe and will not slum it in the UK unfortunately)

Rock/Metal needs support in this country. America went rock mad years ago but the media and as Vince said venues do not see the money with rock bands.
I have bought an 04 ticket because a) i love the music and b) if l don't we will have less ofthe music we love and more bland prefabricated crap in the charts.
We the supporters of the bands help decide who plays and where if there is a lot of interest venues will have to accept their customers views.
If everyone on this website went to a local venue and suggested a rock band appear and kept talking to them then maybe they will listen to us the paying customers.

If Rock/Metal dies in this country we are partly responsible satnd up and be counted preach the to the uninitiated and spread the word.

Long Live Rock N' Roll!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work Vince.

Totally agree with you Vince! Those who support Euro Metal should make every effort to attend the gig at the Wulfrun as by doing so it will go at little way further to secure the future of decent metal in this country...something Bloodstock has gone a great way to doing already! Keep up the good work and be assured that the support is there from Rock Society members such as myself.

Bradford Rio's has had Death and Black Metal bands for many years, and I think the capacity is about 1000, isn't that an acceptable venue outside of London.

This is an important point I think, I am constantly annoyed about there being lots of great gigs in London and now and again a decent one comes up North, usually to Bradford or Sheffield, which is still an hour's drive and I can't have a drink that way, damn them.

I am ordering my tickets for Nile/Kataklysm/Aborted at Manchester in advance, hope this means more bands will play up North.

i dont think there has ever being a metal gig that i havent had to travel a fair distance 2 get 2 bar bloodstock i live in wolverhampton so this gig will be a welcome change and hopefully will lead to many more in the area keep up the good work Vince

Webmaster/Moderator

Thanks for taking my comments so seriously. I went to Bloodstock the year before last and enjoyed it a lot and I applaud anyone who puts on gigs of this style of music or any other that they believe in. My post was originally in an email reply to a mate who sent me a link to the site, but I spent so long thinking about it I thought I should post it here too. I didn't know who wrote the original.

I said:
"You might even make some money that way, if loads of people turn up. But I doubt it. Other genres who have acts who are prepared to slum it a bit more do better I think, eg punk/hardcore playing tiny dingy venues and kipping on people's floors."

bloodstock said:
"(Most Euro Metal bands are big in mainland Europe and will not slum it in the UK unfortunately)"

That's what I guessed and it's a shame but totally understandable. Compare with Oasis touring America.

bloodstock said:
"Why not? A different mode of marketing a show it may be. But the main reason for this is to expand the amount of Euro Metal style shows. We can only do this based on the pre-sales from one show which then secures the venue, which then provides the capital to secure the next band who is touring. If we take £5k pre-sales for Primal Fear by January - we can book another Euro act who wants to schedule a show in July. If we wait until the March date for sales of Primal Fear "on the door" then we will have missed the opportunity to book this other band and they then do not come to the UK."

Again totally fair and a good idea. I just wanted to clarify some of the points you made because I think it's best that potential customers know exactly what's up.

What happens if Primal Fear cancel for some reason? Do you have some sort of insurance?

bloodstock said:
"Exactly - this is what we are trying to strive for. Bloodstock is a success now. Venues should take note and have the vision we have in putting on more shows - success will come."

That's a good idea, I'm sure lots of people will go to a show with the Bloodstock name attached as a guarantee.

Again, keep up the good work and good luck!

Well, I agree with the idea, and would have my ticket already if: a) I had that much spare money and b) I wanted to go to tat particular gig.

We're quite luck to get cool ass gigs a lot in Manchester, so it's usualy only a few bands I don't get to see.

Also, in practicality, somewhere central such as Birmingham is the most logical place to hold a one-off gig. Unfortunately, Londoners tend to have an attitude that everything should come to them, which cuts down the fisability of such things.

Might I suggest that board members who care suggest venues. In my case, for Manchester, the Star & Garter, the Roadhouse and The Night & Day for small gigs, and the Hop & Grape for the larger stuff (The Haunted sold that one out!).

Will be there - and with tickets bought early. More metal will only happen with more support and we are the base....go for it! Vince has stuck his neck out here for something that he believes in and we have benefitted!!!

Sorry for those who seriously can't make it but - distance and time are nothing compared with live metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!