Exceptional songs from bands you otherwise don't really like that much

Phanto

Alalalalalalalala.
Apr 8, 2005
Gothenburg, SWE
I thought that maybe this would make an interesting topic. Bands you actually don't like sometimes release something that you for some reason really like. Or maybe you just like them a little, and a few, only maybe just one song, is like the best shit ever. And to make it interesting, try to reason why.

Pain of Salvation - Imago.
I definitely don't think this band is crap, however I prefer this song over anything else they've made. It's world music done right. Or something.

Sonata Arctica - White Pearl, Black Oceans.
Not really a bad band, not at least at the time of this album's release. However I doubt I'll hear anything as good as this from these Finns again. Epic story driven song about some lighthouse guard fucking up.

Heimdall - Symit.
Acoustic song by an otherwise pretty shitty folk/power metal band. It's just pretty different from their other stuff so I guess it's a song I noticed.

Hammers of Misfortune - Widow's Wall.
I have no fucking idea why I like this, I should hate it with all my guts. But there's something about the vocalists voice, and the progression of the song that really hits the spot. By an otherwise mediocre metal band.

Edguy - Vain Glory Opera.
I must have had a stroke or something.

DeadSoul Tribe - Let the hammer fall.
I believe this song has the same name as a Hammerfall song, however this is something completely different. It's not very different from anything else this band has done though, so I'm at a loss why this would be any better. It's not even very unique. Huh.

oh and The Doors - Light my fire

Sonata Arctica - White Pearl, Black Oceans

Agreed. This was the first song of theirs I ever heard, and upon hearing it I got all excited...only to be let down. :/ Great song, still.

Other ones:

Muse - Knights of Cydonia
The distortion is really appealing to me for some reason in the beginning, as is the melody and the galloping triplets later. Can't stand Muse as a whole, though.

Elvenking - A Poem for the Firmament
I love this song. So much more emotion and composition than anything else they've written.

Riot - Thundersteel
Pretty solid but less than amazing heavy metal act that out of the blue wrote an orgasmic speed metal song with one of the best melodic solos of all time.

Stratovarius - Soul of a Vagabond
For some reason, it really gets me.

Kamelot - Memento Mori
The vocal melody when he says "We're the last in the line..." sends shivers down my spine.

Running Wild - Under Jolly Roger
Such a damn good song - IMO the pinnacle of straight up heavy metal, destroys anything Maiden has ever written. Running Wild is mediocre as a whole though.

Metallica - To Live is to Die
It's like a different band. Fantastic song.

that is all i can think of right now

Soul of a Vagabond has been my favourite Strat song for years. I don't care much for the band either, but that song definitely has a little something extra. The solo is definitely a lot of the reason... it's powerful.

Imago being PoS's best song? ... Odd. Sure, for the style, it's fantastic... I do enjoy the song, but there are so many BEAUTIFUL PoS songs out there...

I could only think of commercial radio songs that I liked but knew they were probably all the bands had to offer. One hit wonders.

Cellador-Leaving all Behind

Edguy- Under the Moon

funny how both singers reminded me of Dickinson but over time i realised they are just a weaker version, except the one from cellador. He may not be Dickinson but jesus chrsit can he sing.

...im lazy

Gee, I think Sammet can sing circles around Dickinson but Im glad he was influenced by him at the same time. Bruce is great and all but doesnt use very much range.

Alanis Morissette - You Oughtta Know

I was so impressed with the song when it came out that I bought the CD. Oops.
I never bought that CD, but I have to admit, that IS a pretty kickass song. And supposedly it's about Uncle Joey from Full House, which is hilarious.

My picks: "Gates of Heaven" and "Predator of the Empire" by Steel Attack. My fucking GOD, that's some headbangin' shit from a band that usually bores me.

Edit: Thanks for making this thread, which reminded me of those songs. :)

this would be alot easier if this topic was the other way around "exceptional bands from songs you dont like that much" Makes sense huh?

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under

Ram Jam - Black Betty

There is not a single song on that record that comes close to BB....

I've always wondered about that, I guess thats one of those one hit wonders I was talking about
----------------------

Oh and Kiss is a good one, I'll give them Detroit Rock City