EXODUS RE-RECORDING "BONDED BY BLOOD"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
For the troops in the trenches, it began in 1982 with a low generation copy of a local band’s three-song demo. For some, it began with their first listen to Combat Records’ version of "Bonded By Blood" in 1986. Regardless of the year EXODUS are the undeniable forefathers of thrash metal.
EXODUS gained huge notoriety in the international underground scene as a result of the tape trading community. Their dynamic guitar riffing, adrenaline-inducing drum work, and bloodied live shows made all the difference in the band’s mission to take Bay Area Thrash to a worldwide audience. The immortal, must-have, thrash classic "Bonded By Blood" was released in 1985 via Torrid Records (then re-released in 1986 on Combat Records), and inspired the likes of Testament, Death Angel, Vio-lence and many others. To this day "Bonded By Blood" is inspiring a whole new breed of thrash metal. Gary Holt, songwriter and lead guitarist of EXODUS, has released the following statement about the band's decision to revisit this classic album that began an era in music history.
"After many years in the planning and discussion stage, we have finally completed the re-recording of "Bonded By Blood." We have decided to call it "Let There Be Blood" and it is our way of paying homage to [original singer] Paul Baloff by showing how relevant these songs we had written together still are. We aren't trying to replace the original, that's impossible anyway. We are just giving these songs the benefit of modern production. It's something we talked about before Paul's death and it's always been important to us to do. We were super excited about entering the studio once again to record these classics, and now it's back to writing the next studio record!"

Produced by Gary Holt, “Let There Be Blood” was recorded at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, CA, JKZ Production Studio in San Rafael, CA with vocal tracks recorded at J. Rod Production Studios in New City, NY. Andy Sneap is currently mixing the finishing product.
The tentative release date for "Let There Be Blood” is October 2008 through Zaentz Records which has U.S. and European distribution.

No comments :err:

Hmmm. They really should just let sleeping dogs lie. The re-recorded will obviously sound way better, but like George Lucas, you're fucking with a classic and people's past.

Without Baloff it just feels wrong.

Basically triggers are like sensors that sense when the drum is hit and then sends a signal to the computer. The drum is then replaced with a kick, snare, what have you. Many bands use them live as well with the drum sounds programmed in for each drum, because there are numerous crappy live sound engineers.

You can blend certain elements of the kit with samples, but like Khafka, I prefer an acoustic kit.

Basically triggers are like sensors that sense when the drum is hit and then sends a signal to the computer. The drum is then replaced with a kick, snare, what have you. Many bands use them live as well with the drum sounds programmed in for each drum, because there are numerous crappy live sound engineers.

You can blend certain elements of the kit with samples, but like Khafka, I prefer an acoustic kit.
Hey, don't get me wrong. triggers can enhance music. Especially with heavier stuff along the Death Metal lines but when it comes to Thrash Metal, especially more traditional style I think it detracts a bit more from the original 'raw' sound that early Thrash was known for.

But that's just my two cents.:)

Bad idea... even if the production will be better the original is still a classic and has the "feel" of the 80's thrash era... i hate when bands rerecord classics even if for copyright reasons etc...

Most new Metal bands use them, Killswitch, As Blood Runs Black and so on. Generally used on the kick drum to give it more of a 'click' sound, if that makes any sense?

Personally I prefer an acoustic sounding kit over an electric one that sounds way too 'polished'.

I know what triggers are. I just don't know why that would be a factor with a drummer as good as Tom Hunting.

They don't necessarily have to be a "click" sound, and can be used on any drum. They are also used to keep the sound of drum hits consistent. If a drummer hits both hard and soft during a recording, they are used to regulate the sound and keep the both the hits and the sound of the drum sounding uniform.

My understanding is that you can program any sound you want - acoustic, click, polished, etc. There are probably drummers that use them where no one is even aware of it.

I don't think Exodus has to do this. The sound will be better, but you can never replace Baloff and I just love that 80's sound. I don't like the new clean and clear Exodus sound.

Hmmm. They really should just let sleeping dogs lie. The re-recorded will obviously sound way better

I don't see how it could sound better...
It will only sound modern, not better in any way. It will have almost the same guitar sound we heard on countless newer records thanks to reamping and awful triggered drums with binary dynamics :puke:

I miss the 80s partly because each album sounded unique, you could recognize the album just by the sound of whatever instrument and of course the overall sound. :worship:

I've got to be honest here and say I never thought it was a particularly great album. It was certainly well liked, but I have always thought that was because it was such an early thrash album. For my money, Show No Mercy, Kill 'em All, and few others just made it seem like a second tier record. I know a lot won't agree with me.

I do think the new Exodus stuff is excellent though, not that I'm advocating the re-recording project. I just find them a better band now than previous.

I love Bonded By Blood.....one of the very first thrash records I picked up. It's a pure classic and should be owned by every metal head.

However, i can barely tolerate Baloff's vocals and the fact that they're too high up in the BBB mix. Give me Zetro Souza ANY day of the week!

With that said, I may still pass this up. The live 1997 record - produced by Sneap (please, someone, 'retire' this guy already!!!) - lacked that 'vibe' that made Exodus so awesome back in the 80s (they're AWESOME today, as well, albeit in a different format).

I really dislike the Sneap sound.....he killed Opeth's 'earthy' feeling on Deliverance, as well as countless others (new testament would be a 10/10 if not for his sterile production)...oh well, I'm rambling....