Experience

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
I've only really been getting into recording/mixing for about a year or two, but I'm really really interested in how other people work and what I can learn from them. I'm very much a person who likes to watch what other people do and the ways they go about their jobs. Even the simple things like how they lay out their sessions etc. It's not that I want to copy other people, I'm just generally interested in what I could learn.

I've got a mate who works as a producer as his main job and he's asked me to give him a hand sometime, which I'm going to do. He's taught me a lot of stuff and if I need a question answered about Pro Tools or whatever, I know I can call him up and he'll help.

Ideally, I'd like to gain some work experience by seeing other people work too and maybe not helping as I might actually be more of a pain in the ass, but just watching their workflow and seeing how they do things (not looking for omg presets!) in a session and how they interact with bands etc.

Serious question, is it worth writing to producers/studios and asking if I can help/sit in on sessions, unpaid of course, to try and learn stuff and see if this is what I really want to do? I might never be good enough to do it full time and make a living from it, but you never know. Do you think I'd even get a response from anyone?

Is there anyone here, in the UK, or indeed Europe who could do with an assistant for a week or two to make tea/tidy up/help out etc that wouldn't mind me asking questions or having me peer over their shoulders and watching how they work. And also how they interact with/get the best out of musicians?

Cheers. I await the flames :lol:

The best way is to contact a local studio and ask if you can be an intern. I live about 3miles (European) from Studio Fredman, i asked if they would accept me hang around just watch and learn. I was an intern for about 6-8months on and off, learned hell of allot :)

Thanks for replying man, much appreciated.

I actually live out in the middle of nowhere just now. Really, right on the north coast of Scotland. I think I'm about 6 hours drive from the nearest decent studio.

Look on the very north shore of this Map of Scotland and find Thurso... I think I'm closer to Iceland than London here :D

melmap2.gif

Well i dont know your current life situation bit if you are dead sure you want to do this, why dont you move to the nearest studio that will accept you??

Good luck

Yeah, that's also a good idea. I am really interested hence why I'm asking for advice here. I'm not in a position to move just now, mainly because I'd likely have to move again in the next 12 months due to other stuff in my life.

I think being able to travel around and see other studios/environments/producers would be a great way to network with people and get lots of different experience. Travelling isn't really a problem, I just can't really up sticks and move just now.

The industry in Scotland is a bit shit for this kinda thing to be honest as generally you either have a studio and run it yourself/with 1 or 2 other people. Or you're a freelancer working out of other studio's, there's basically no opportunities for internships here. The majority of work seems to be rehearsals rather than recording too.

There's no harm in trying mind you, but you have to think about what you can bring to the studio. They'll have plenty of college students etc wanting to sit in on sessions for free, so what can you bring to the studio that others cant?
Do you have a background in electrical engineering so you could fix faulty equipment?
Are you amazing at tuning drums?
Can you make a shit hot website and online booking system for rehearsals?
Do you already have a regular client base that you could bring to the studio?

Willingness to learn and tea making skills isn't enough to get a job in a studio these days, there's just too many people wanting to do it and not enough work to support them.

Admittedly where you live isn't going to help either, most studio's want people who live close in case shit hits the fan and someone needs to come in quickly.

Hope I'm not making you lose your faith man, just letting you know what you're up against.

It seems hard as hell to get a decent internship with good people at this time.

I'd hate to sign up fellow forum members for more than they feel like doing, since I'm pretty useless for audio information at this point, but one of the best things about being here is that contact information flows freely and people are more than happy to talk about what they do. Talking to them over instant messengers won't be the same as picking their brain in person at their studio, but it's still pretty damned awesome - I'd recommend just sending people messages here and through instant message devices and asking questions for as long as you're welcome. There's simply no way to meet everyone in person, and there's no reason to pretend otherwise - but swapping clips and asking about mixes online can be very helpful anyway.

Jeff

Some really good information here guys.

Trevoire520: Nah man, you're definitely not making me lose faith whatsoever. You make lots of valid points. Luckily for me, I fill a few of those gaps you mention. All my drummer friends have me tune their drums, I have pretty handy at getting in about guitars/basses and fixing intonation etc. All things to work on though, thanks for the heads up. Having skills other than the need/want to learn is something I hadn't thought about too much. Whenever my band has recorded in the past, I've always been one of these people who'll follow the engineer about and ask what he's doing from start to finish. I must be a royal pain in the ass. Where I live just now really is a kick in the ass. I do plan to move in the next couple of years, likely nearer to a city where I can expand my horizons. I'm working from home mixing/recording bands but like I said, it's slim pickings up here. My band plus about 3 or 4 others are all I've got to work with. I'm having to try and get bands up from Inverness, which is difficult as they mostly go south for recording.

AudioPhile777: It's on my list of things to do man :)

JBroll: This place is an excellent source of information/networking etc, which was why I posted this in here. I knew I'd get some sensible responses about how to move forward, even if nobody said "hey, you can come over here for a few weeks and give me a hand" etc. That'd be sweet if someone offered mind you :D

I have been asking about my recent mixes in the mix/tone forum and had some good advice/feedback which has been pleasing. I've posted in non-production forums like HCAF and had some good feedback too. I just strive to improve. I'll keep working hard and posting mixes etc :)