Exporting files for mixing by someone else

Squat

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2010
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong area, and secondly forgive my ignorance:

I have obviously done a rough mix myself but should I reset all panning to neutral and reset the channels on the mixer to unity before exporting the wav's?

Is there an optimum level I should set the tracks/channels at before exporting?.

Im using cubase 5.

I have used Dr. Google but got nothing concrete.

Thanks.

If someone is going to be mixing it from scratch, set all tracks to 0db and pan center. Make sure to export any mono tracks as mono as well. You want to give them essentially just the raw tracks as they were recorded with no other processing.

Yeah +1 to make sure mono tracks come out mono. It's annoying as fuck when you have to download twice as much data because everything is in a stereo track when it doesn't need to be!

Pro tip:

When exporting, name the files in such a way that when the user on the other end imports them into their DAW they are already sorted into a logical layout. Either by starting each drum track with a D (eg. D KIK, D SNR, etc) each guitar track with a G, you get the point. Or another way is to name the tracks with numbers (01 kik, 02 snr, 03....). Sure beats dealing with spazed out abbreviations and a whole lot of "audio 1" files :p

Yea make sure things are named properly and clearly. That's big. Also make sure everything is coming out as a full file from the same start point. I'm not sure how Cubase works but in Pro Tools you just consolidate the files and them export them individually. The panning and level don't matter, because it's just the wav. If cubase bounces the files based on your mixer settings, then yes, make sure it's panned center, mono where it should be, and at unity volume.

Visit Fredman Studio website, they have a tutorial video explaining how to do in Cubase.