External preamps and interfaces

guy in latvia

Nov 6, 2013
Hi guys, so I've become a little confused and wated some advice.

I have a Presonus Firestudio tube interface which I hear is sounding a bit buzzy and doesn't sound as clean as I would like it. I thought of buying a Focusrite ISA Two external preamp for vocal and guitar recordings. Does this upgrade make sense, considering I would run the external preamp into the line ins of the Firestudio, or should I upgrade my interface to something different all together and not worry about the external preamp?

Cheers!

A bit "buzzy" sounds like a different problem than a bad sounding mic preamp. Although the preamps could very well suck ass on those things most cheap preamps today still sound "decent/usable", no doubt a boutique preamp will make a difference and sound "better", i just doubt it will be what you think. Some of the new highend interfaces in the last 2 years have awesome built in mic preamps. Although id still want a few boutique preamps for certain things. Hope this helps. My advice is to start from the ground up of what is important. If the "hub/center" of my studio was the interface you have and my room wasnt treated, i would most definitely start there before even thinking about spend 1000+ on a single channel mic preamp. Cheers.

Hmm ok, in that case, what interface would you recommend for Windows that has great preamps with plenty of clean gain and high quality converters for a sub 1000 euro price (at least 4 mic pres)?

So many to choose from, do a little research. Here is the order of importance i look for when buying an interface

1. Stability/Reliability
2. Converter Quality
3. Software Mixer (Example I absolutely love RME total mix)
4. Preamps
5. Price

For me i love the RME stuff, the preamps are usable even when you uprgrade to boutique preamps, and you wont out grow the converters for a while (or ever perhaps) It always works right, and totalmix kicks ass. There are some cool options out there from antelope, etc.

Cheers.

I've been looking at the Fireface 800 in the used market, price range works for me. My only question is why isnt there a master volume control? Am I missing something, how am I meant to adjust that?

you control everything with total mix. i agree the lack of master volume is odd but now there is no pot in signal path. Plus total mix does kick ass. I know jeff is trying to sell his on here right now.

Holy shit, TotalMix is pretty impressive looking! Though I do all that sort of stuff inside the DAW. Agreed about not having a master volume knob is fairly shitty. I am constantly turning mine up/down and if I had to go inside the preamps built-in mixer, I'd be =/.

Imho you can't go wrong with an RME, whether it's the Fireface or whatever....
I've been using a FF400 for 6 years now, and I haven't experienced one single issue yet. 100% stable, great converters, decent preamps.

So, since it doesn't have a master volume, how do you guys who have one adjust volume, it seems really odd to me?

Ok, so its RME's own software solution for controlling volume. I just realized they also have the remote controller, but I don't seem to get what the real life benefits of the programmable buttons are. Also, anyone tried the iPad app?

I will say that i am a fireface user, since this topic started with mic preamps i dont want to get off topic. The fireface 800 preamps are usable, to be honest they are probably the downfall of the unit. You could totally make an entire record with just a fireface, i currently use the fireface and i have a 1 channel great river for important stuff, i would probably suggest going with a used fireface and get yourself a decent preamp under $500ish from golden age or alike or step up to the $1000+ range (great river, neve, chandler etc) Cheers. But back to the first question, i wouldnt build my studio around your current interface. I would start from scratch with

1. Solid Interface/Converter/Studio Hub
2. Acoustic Treatment
3. Best Studio Monitors You Can Afford
4. Everything Else (Preamps, Outboard, Gear Etc.)

Of course this is subjective, just some basic advice from someone who has wasted a lot of time/money on unnecessary/irrelevant shit. Once again if you are looking for a fireface, Jeff has one for sale, might as well throw him a reasonable offer, you know it would have been treated professionally.

"A little Plug for ya Jeff ;)"

I use a Fireface400 for years, and I use the knob on the front as a master volume.
Just set it to control the AN Out 1 & 2 (where your monitors are plugged), so that you can control the volume of this output with this single knob = master volume.

Oh sweet, that means the knob can be routed to control any parameter in total mix? That would solve my only issue with RME!

you control the volume in Totalmix, its not an issue or a big deal. How often are you fluctuating the volume of your monitors? i alter the volume a few times here and there but no enough for me to warrant going to buy a volume knob.