Extol

Static...are you a fanboy? did you get into Camel in the last 3-6 months? Was it because Mikael liked them? Do you REALLY like them? Or is it just because Mikael does? These are questions you need to ask yourself people.

jesus christ LordHypnos, you've been an asshole in this whole thread. first off, every time you post something its just a huge shitpile of questions layered on top of each other. CHILL THE FUCK OUT. and second of all, whats wrong with getting into a band because you heard someone else likes it? obviously people here enjoy opeth, so why not look into the bands that influenced them? shit man, think things over before you go all nuts on us again

I like Extol. They're not as interesting as Opeth, but they're still awesome. Yes, they are a Christian death metal band, but it's about time something like that showed up to counteract all the Deicides in metal.

Funeral Portrait...shut up. I will do/say/act however i please. And i will make known my hatred of fanboyisms every time i see one. Little metalhead/opeth fanboys listening to a band like Camel is also included in these actions. i disaprove.

LordHypnos said:
Funeral Portrait...shut up. I will do/say/act however i please. And i will make known my hatred of fanboyisms every time i see one. Little metalhead/opeth fanboys listening to a band like Camel is also included in these actions. i disaprove.

says the ultimate In Flames fanboy...

commandante.....im an in flames fanboy? hardly. youre a bit gullible if you think everything i said about R2R was real. :tickled:

oh well. in flames has been done for a while...quite irrelevant. whatever kid.:D

anonymousnick2001 said:
I like Extol. They're not as interesting as Opeth, but they're still awesome. Yes, they are a Christian death metal band, but it's about time something like that showed up to counteract all the Deicides in metal.
First of all: its thrash, sorry:Spin:

And to call something christian black metal is the same as to call something satanic christian choir..

The "black" is there because of the satanic lyrics, yes I know not many write that kind of lyrics among the "big" bands these days, but thats how that kind of metal got its name. Black=satanic, see.

Im not a satanist btw, and ill respect other opnions on this matter.

black was originally intended as a satanic style of music, correct. however, the genre has come to mean more of a style than an ideal (contrary to elitist dickhead's points of view). a lot like the gopel style of singing, which was originally confined to church music, but spread into the stupid cliche'd black woman going "ohhhhh amaaaaaaaazing graaaaaaaaaaaaaaace..."

and i'd hardly call much of the undecieved album thrash.

@lord hypnos: guess what? i like camel. i also like comus. i also like porcupine tree. i would have never heard of any of these bands if i hadnt gotten into opeth.

i think by posting on the opeth message board you automatically gain "fanboy" status anyway :loco:

I agree with that. Gospel music doesn't have to be about religion anymore. It can just be a pompous diva-wannabe singing Amazing Grace. Black metal no longer has to be satanic. Listen to And Oceans. They are definitely black metal. Yet their lyrics go in the industrial direction, more introspective and philosophical. Extol are black/death in style, but a Christian band lyrically. A cool combination, I say.

http://www.heavymetal.no/show.article.asp?menuid=10&artid=535

Yjmetal at Heavymetal.no says its thrash/extreme, and they are from Norway, so ill bet my ass he's spoken to them a couple of times. Ive actually never herad anyone call it black/death, but thats another issue.

Anyway, the example gospel was just something that popped into my head, think of anything that is meant to be christian, and put a cuople of satanists in there preforming it, and calling it satanic (christian thing).

Christian black metal is a self-contradiction in every sense of the word(s?).

Crenshaw said:
First of all: its thrash, sorry:Spin:

And to call something christian black metal is the same as to call something satanic christian choir..

The "black" is there because of the satanic lyrics, yes I know not many write that kind of lyrics among the "big" bands these days, but thats how that kind of metal got its name. Black=satanic, see.

Im not a satanist btw, and ill respect other opnions on this matter.

I doubt this is true. "Black" can mean very dark, for example "black humour" is not satanic is it? Also the bible is quite dark from what i've read. I don't see why christian black metal should be a contradiction.

Crenshaw said:
http://www.heavymetal.no/show.article.asp?menuid=10&artid=535

Yjmetal at Heavymetal.no says its thrash/extreme, and they are from Norway, so ill bet my ass he's spoken to them a couple of times. Ive actually never herad anyone call it black/death, but thats another issue.

Anyway, the example gospel was just something that popped into my head, think of anything that is meant to be christian, and put a cuople of satanists in there preforming it, and calling it satanic (christian thing).

Christian black metal is a self-contradiction in every sense of the word(s?).

so if i were to take a guitar, shred out a few evil power chords to insanely fast drumming, add some keys and a screaming vocalist who is preaching christianity, then i am contradicting myself in some way? all black metal is now is the style. there is no set standard for a black metal band's beliefs anymore. just because they make music that sounds just like black metal and put christian lyrics to it doesnt mean they are setting a double standard or anything.

and on that webpage, i cant read it :wave:

Extol is good. I just ordered "Synergy" from Century Media ($9.00) along with the Arch Enemy "Anthems of Rebellion" special offer. Looking forward to both discs. As far as "Christian Black Metal" being a contradiction, well, in this case, "Black" is just being used to describe the style of music. The terms "Un-Black" or "White" metal just seem kinda cheesy to me. Also, just because all or some of the members of a band are Christian, that doesn't mean we have to label them a "Christian Band". A band is a band. You don't hear people call Godsmack a "Wiccan metal" band do you? Or Slayer a "Jewish/Satanic Metal" band, get my point? Do people call Mel Gibson a "Christian Actor"? No, he is an actor that happens to be a dedicated Catholic. Labels are stupid. Metal is metal. Some bands choose to sing about death and hatred and drugs and sex and satan, some choose to sing about everyday life, some sing about God and Jesus. Big Deal. Extol owns you.