Eyup lads and lasses

Changes 74

Jun 21, 2005
Somewhere near Barnsley
Just signed in after getting tickets for the Granada gig in Spain .I'll be honest and say I originally was looking for Deep Purple concerts and couldnt believe my luck that Saxon were on as well.I've another confession,I havent seen Saxon live,but last saw Biff at the Centenary Rooms at the Civic Hall Barnsley in Son of A Bitch 1978 I think,at least I dont think they were performing as Saxon then.Coast were my favourite local band,Deep Purple the first band I saw live in 1972 Sheffield City Hall,to think that 33 years later and they are both still going strong is mind blowing :headbang:

Changes 74 said:
to think that 33 years later and they are both still going strong is mind blowing :headbang:

Yes it's unbelievable that they're still playing after all these years, with some of the bands sounding better now than they did 20 odd year ago. Who was it that said sex, drugs and rock n roll were bad for you - nah that's what keep us young!!!!!!!

RicknRoll said:
You mentioned Coast as your favorite local act I thought that was the band that Biff and Paul were in before SOB & Saxon
Thats right,Coast used to play locally particularly at a club called The Changes in Barnsley ,other bands like Be-Bop Delux also played there at the time.I used to have a tape of Coast recorded on a hand held recorder from the Changes around 1974,I'm not sure if its still in the Attic or if it still plays I'll have to have a look.Coast had a big following locally and when they merged with SOB I for one was a bit disappointed but the end result proved a success.I'm not sure but I think the forrunner to Coast was a band called Iron Man Wilkinson who played support to Geordie and Susie Quattro at Barnsley Civic in 1973.Geordies singer Brian Anderson(?) went on to lead AC/DC after Bon Scotts death.

The best thing about all these great bands that have been playing the most powerfull brand of music we all love for over 30 years is the fact that they play it so much better still than any of the 'newer' competition!

as the 'Metal God' Halford once said:

"Thirty fuckin years of 'evvy fuckin metal"

Mr Changes - that's some great memories you have there! I mean, seeing Biff perform even before SOB were formed. Amazing! Biff used to say that he and Quinny were always more prog rock orientated than Oliver & Dawson - can you recall tha kind of stuff Coast used to play?

btw - it was Brian 'Johnson' who sang for Geordie and then went onto make Back In Black with Angus and Co. I've a couple of Geordie songs hanging around somewhere and it is kind of weird to hear them - Rock 'n Roll but hardly AC/DC.

I kind of agree with Her Royal Highness - we've always been told how bad the rock 'n roll life style is and there are a few examples of that: Bonn Scott, Hendrix, Bonham, Moon, Elvis etc. But there are so many artists doing even better things these days - Saxon are a prime example.
I just wonder how many of todays 'artists' are going to be around in 30 years time and doing great new material? In this day and age, someone like Robbie Williams is perceived as a 'veteran' by the kids!

I always wondered about geordie, i have never heard them...Did they actually release stuff Nightwar?? Whats it like? and can you give me a CD name or something so i can have a look around.

CheerS!

valanx said:
I always wondered about geordie, i have never heard them...Did they actually release stuff Nightwar?? Whats it like? and can you give me a CD name or something so i can have a look around.

CheerS!

Just did a music search on aol, heres what i found. . .

Album titles
no sweat - 1983 (without brian johnson)
featuring brian johnson - 1981
brian johnson and geordie - 1981
no good woman - 1978
save the world - 1976
masters of rock - 1974
don't be fooled by the name - 1974
hope you like it - 1973

This is what aol says about the band. . .
A dull 1970s hard rock band from Newcastle, England, Geordie is mostly known for their lead vocalist, Brian Johnson, who would later join AC/DC. In 1972 and 1973, they had a few hits in the U.K., including the number six single "All Because of You" and "Can You Do It," which reached number 13. Their sound was influenced by British rock bands of the day such as Led Zeppelin, as well as some glam stompers, with Johnson's distinctively abrasive singing strongly in evidence.

Geordie guitarist Vic Malcolm had previously recorded with Influence and Yellow before joining U.S.A., which became Geordie before starting to record in 1972. The band kept going until 1976, after which Brian Johnson spent a few years doing sessions until joining AC/DC following the death of their previous singer, Bon Scott. The other members did reform Geordie briefly in 1983, releasing one album, then changing their name to Powerhouse after the departure of Malcolm, and releasing one subsequent LP.

Thanks alot Crusader!! Thats certainly given me something to go on!!
Cheers!!!

RicknRoll said:
Just how old are changes? if you saw all those band back in day
:) I'm younger than Biff and Quinny !!! 47 yrs actually,spent my youth watching bands mainly at Sheffield City Hall ,spent 17 yrs in hybernation working,raising a family,now I've got more time to get out and see bands again.Last night I went to see Audioslave at Manchester with my eldest two lads,I was impressed.

valanx said:
Thanks alot Crusader!! Thats certainly given me something to go on!!
Cheers!!!

I must have far too much time on my hands today. Not only have i found a webpage with info and photos of Geordie on, but i have got a short sound clip of there biggest hit "all because of you" (you will need Real Player installed on your p.c. to play it though!!!).

Webpage. . .
http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/geordie.htm

Sound clip. . .
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/justinrclapham/allbecauseofyou.ram