F. Nordström interview (Dimmu Borgir)

Forgive my ignorance, but i have a Mesa and have never used the slave out for anything, are you saying it would be better to record the slave out if you are going to use impulses?

Well there's certainly one way to find out! :D And I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the results

Killer! So it is just the preamp signal? makes sense now that i think about it. I have a few projects im working on i will try it out, just hope i dont fry a preamp on my interface.

this part was funny

Maelstrom: What DI box did you use?

Fredrik Nordström: DSS. It’s the only DI box I have. I stole it when I was young. I’ve had it for 20 years. It’s a very, very good one.

thats metal!

That's a really nice interview... but why does Fred sound like this? It's just like he's tired from doign this and he doesn't care at all...

That's a really nice interview... but why does Fred sound like this? It's just like he's tired from doign this and he doesn't care at all...

That's the way he rolls, dog. Dude hella crazy.

Any of you see that video/interview where he's like, "I've found that farther away from here musicians come, the worse they seem to get." lol dude crazy

The fact that he's gone all digital may be why I've progressively been disliking his new works more and more.. I think when he puts out another Clayman, or Sweet Vengeance on all digital, then I'll be truly impressed.

Yeah neither... lots of pumping. Gauging by what Fredrik said in that interview, chances are he slammed it himself before it got to the mastering house, hence why you get all that pumping...

But agreed about the guitar tone. I also love the ambience on that snare... and the toms, as heard at the start of In My Heart are probably the best sounding toms I've ever heard in my life...

I've been trying to decide on whether the guitars are 5150 or ENGL Savage. What do you think?

Yeah pumping and it´s so limited that all the detail is gone... agree 100%, drums sound so good, and to be completely honest I have no good guess on the amp... I never recorded a Engl, they´re so rare in here. I trust you judgement better... when you decide what you think it is you tell me.... hehehe whatever it is I want THAT tone, notes come out so clear and defined... unreal...

i think james hetfield used to slave his mark iic+s into marshall 100w heads for their power section...

i tried it with a mark iv -> jcm 900 and it sounded pretty cool. it had that "thin but thick" justice sound. i borrowed my friends emg equipped jackson guitar to get as close as possible. sometimes using hybrid amp situations works out well. i've slaved the mark iv into a dual rectifier and it sounded good also.

cool interview by the way.