You guys seen yet? Andy Sneap Interview, Maelstrom.nu

That interview was really helpful actually. Put into perspective how much time I spend going through triggers, gates etc. Just staring at the screen for hours on end. It's good to see the pros have to do it that way too.. there's no shorthand way, haha.

I'm curious about this quote regarding triggers:

But if you’re recording, and especially if you’re using the natural sound as well, you have to slide the audio back in time. I remember when we were using 2" tape, we had to fire it off the repro head and use a decay unit to get it back in time. It’s always been a bit of a fine art, that one.

Another little thing Andy says is that he uses triggeres mostly on metal stuff.
The local recording legen around here once told me that he uses them alot on country music. that the drummers want the consistency.

Wow, killer interview. Liked that a lot! What did this mean:

"I mean, as soon as we started dropping in on guitar solos with a machine that didn’t make a click when you dropped in and out, that’s when the honesty went out the window."

A general reference to using a computer? Just asking, as i still get clicks on a punch in sometimes i think?

kev said:
What did this mean:

"I mean, as soon as we started dropping in on guitar solos with a machine that didn’t make a click when you dropped in and out, that’s when the honesty went out the window."

A general reference to using a computer? Just asking, as i still get clicks on a punch in sometimes i think?

I believe this was a reference to recording on tape.
When the recording head "dropped in" on the already moving tape, it left an imprint on the tape, giving an (often) noticible pop.

Think of it as a skid mark.

"... or the guitar player is in fact the producer! HAHAHAHA! I won’t tell you how many albums I’ve played on! Hahaha!"

Dude, that's fucken crazy...didn't even think about that before...wow....This is like finding out that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father...wow.....

Genius Gone Insane said:
"... or the guitar player is in fact the producer! HAHAHAHA! I won’t tell you how many albums I’ve played on! Hahaha!"

Dude, that's fucken crazy...didn't even think about that before...wow....This is like finding out that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father...wow.....

Calm down lol, I've heard of this loads of times. Not so much a thing with big professional bands though I would hope.