You guys seen yet? Andy Sneap Interview, Maelstrom.nu

Well I know a lot of times if the player isn't tight enough then the producer/engineer may choose to retrack stuff when the band isn't in the studio. But I don't think this would happen with bands like Exodus or Arch Enemy that Andy has produced, as I'm sure the likes of Gary Holt and Mike Amott won't leave till they've nailed something. No offense to the smaller bands, but I just think this is something that wouldn't happen with guitar players who have been playing professionally for 10+ years. Andy has mentioned before that there are some young bands who he has recorded stuff for, back when he was starting out in the studio, who didn't know their songs completely, and that's when it's in your best interest to re-track things, much like fixing and aligning drum tracks. If the end result is making you look better as an engineer in the business, then go for it. Basically, I think it's all subjective, I would doubt that Andy has had to do anything like this lately as he is producing stuff for some very well established bands. I think this is a tool for producers who will be cut down if a bands performance is shit.

If you believe the rumours, there's plenty of big name bands who have brought in session players to replace or complete tracking. It's not always due to inability to play, but could be other factors like to musicians being unavailable due to illness, drug abuse, groupie shagging and whatnot. Some of it is just simply due to them being shite players or losing whatever touch they had though :)

Granted, the rumours that float about are not normally in the context of "metal" and more in the hard rock/hair metal realm, but I'm sure there's equally as much of that going on in the extreme end of things.

sparkyness said:
Granted, the rumours that float about are not normally in the context of "metal" and more in the hard rock/hair metal realm, but I'm sure there's equally as much of that going on in the extreme end of things.

Check out Steve Stevens CV

what I'm refering to is with the sync and repro head on a tape machine. You could offset a track that way and bring it back into time with a delay, thats how we used to do triggers with no midi.