Face of Melinda and When played in winnipeg

faultinpower

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2008
The set at the Winnipeg show was following what was posted earlier song for song until after the night and the silent water. At this point in the set Mike started playing with the crowd asking for requests. After about a minute of pointing at randoms in the crowd and asking them to pick the next "track", the band began the first few heavy progressions of When (skipping the intro). The drummer messed up about a minute in (I figure the drummer, since the band all looked around at him and then stopped) and then Mike said something clever about needing to rehearse before taking requests.

But the crowd kept yelling requests (including my shouts for "benighted") and after one girl in the front wouldn't quit screaming they began Face of Melinda. What made Face of Melinda notable was that the band started without mike speaking to the band members first as he did for When. It almost seemed like Face of Melinda was rehearsed. But again something went wrong about a minute in. At the end of the first interlude, after the lines "brooding sadness came to her eyes", there is a percussion change and the drummer seemed to miss it. Mike swivelled around and quit playing, the rest of the band followed. Finally, Mike just said "I'll pick the next one" and they went into Deliverance.

I am new to this forum (I found it while looking for the setlist for this tour) so if they have done these songs (or atleast tried) already on this tour, please forgive my ignorance. Otherwise, I would push Mike and the boys to finish what they started, and play Face of Melinda in full for your crowd.

Mike played about 20 seconds of Hours of Wealth in Minneapolis, but after a few fuck-ups said "Fuck!" in a really funny way... I think it would actually be a cool song to see live. Bty, that show was simply incredible!!! (I mean, we got to see Mike's pubes...how could it not have been the best experience ever?)

It might have been a gimmick, but goddamnit, I love that song. Morningrise was the first Opeth album I really got into as an album, and I love that song. Sure it's disjointed, but the individual parts are awesome. Great riffs, great melodies, great vocals, just crappy composition.

I really wish Mike would do for BRI what he did for TNATSW. Rehearse it, change it up a bit, make it workable. Like a BRI 2.0 with all the fat trimmed away. I wouldn't care if they chopped off five minutes as long as we got something. I mean, he hated TNATSW on the album, but they rehearsed it, made it tighter and the live version is killer.

/[Black Rose Immortal Apologist Rant]

Mike played about 20 seconds of Hours of Wealth in Minneapolis, but after a few fuck-ups said "Fuck!" in a really funny way... I think it would actually be a cool song to see live. Bty, that show was simply incredible!!! (I mean, we got to see Mike's pubes...how could it not have been the best experience ever?)

Damn I knew I should have went...That makes two times I've missed Opeth in Minnesota.

I can feel for Axe. I hate trying to play songs I haven't really rehearsed with drums... It's impossible not to fuck up. :p

I hope they do something like this in Edmonton, so I can yell out a song they've rehearsed (GHOST OF PERDITION!!)