Face Off 5: Katatonia vs. Opeth

Who will it be?

• Total voters

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
It's time to see where you people stand on the matter once, and for all. :p This is strictly a personal preference thread. Don't be scurd to vote. I know this will be a tough one for many of ye.

My vote goes to the Discouraged Ones.

P.S. I eagerly await the backlash from this blasphemous thread. Either way your participation is appreciated!

These days I'm listening to a lot more Katatonia than Opeth so I went with Katatonia. I also think the last few Katatonia releases are better than the last few Opeth ones. I will say though that I prefer Opeth's back catalog and live show to that of Katatonia.

Seeing as in my opinion, Opeth has been lacking since after BWP, and I enjoy the fuck out of every Katatonia release, I think it's obvious.

Don't really get what's with all the hate for the last two Opeth records. They're both among the band's strongest material.

Edit: Maybe hate is too strong of a word, but fans seem to give those records a good amount of grief for odd reasons. They still have Mike's signature written all over them.

I don't hate them, but I don't find myself wanting to listen to them ever...at least with BWP I get a urge every few months.

P.S. I eagerly await the backlash from this blasphemous thread. Either way your participation is appreciated!
Aren't the over-saturated fan boy threads like this the reason why opeth shutdown their forum?

Edit: And I think you have some interesting stuff to say bluesky, but for me on a personal level forums aren't fun when you have to sift through the excess overflow

Wow this one was tough. I have to go with Katatonia on this. I did like the "Watershed" album however, but what Katatonia has done in the past few years is remarkable. I think Katatonia gets my vote just because Katatonia is that band whenever I am in a bad mood, I can just throw on their record and be relaxed just lying in bed and listening to their music. Katatonia also right now at the moment is more exciting to me then Opeth. I was so excited that "Night is the new day" was an excellent fallow up to "The Great Cold Distance". I still love Opeth with all my heart, so many days I wake up and just listen to a Opeth album all the way through. It all came down to personal prefference.

Katatonia by a small margin, I've been into both bands since their (very) early days and followed them throughout. They both mean a lot to me.

Katatonia have been more consistent over the years, I'm into pretty much all their material, whereas Opeth has some albums that I have less of a connection to (MAYH & Still Life). Both huge bands though.

I hated voting on this poll, because regardless of your opinion on either band the talent the both of these bands have are absolutely remarkable.

I personally voted for Opeth simply because Still Life is still my favorite CD of all time, and always will be. Does it mean that Katatonia is worse? Not a fucking chance. Just my personal preference.

^good call

i love opeth, and i got into katatonia through opeth-->bloodbath-->katatonia

its a hard choice but i choose opeth, its what got me into extreme metal really...

I got into Opeth before Katatonia and was an obsessive fan of Opeth. I guess I heard about Katatonia from Opeth and now Katatonia is my favourite band. I rarely listen to Opeth anymore either. And I might be one of the rare people to say that I think Ghost Reveries was a great album. Watershed was cool, but not that great for me.