Face Off 5: Katatonia vs. Opeth

Who will it be?

• Total voters
At the risk of being unpopular, the last two Katatonia and Opeth albums have disappointed me. Are their golden eras over? Compare 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' to 'Night is the new Day' and 'My Arms' to 'Watershed'. All quality albums but there's an x factor missing in the new releases. Do you know what I mean or am I going senile in my old age?

agreed.:)

I don't think I can vote; both bands mean so much to me, each equal in their own unique way! Can't put one of them over another. It just ain't gonna happen.

Katatonia all the way, not even close. For me, they have put out consistently excellent material, and heavily influenced my own songwriting. With Opeth, I love Orchid, Still Life, Watershed, and Damnation, but all of their other albums do absolutely nothing for me.

Wow, to each their own but seriously??????? You don't even mention Morningrise? Which is greater than Orchid, for sure. And Watershed is easily their worst album for me. In fact, I'll go as far as to say I don't even pop it into my stereo which is a FIRST for Opeth for me.
Still Life kicks ass, yes....Still Life, MAYH and BWP are the BIG three from this band, in my opinion. Then again, Morningrise is in there too....

At the risk of being unpopular, the last two Katatonia and Opeth albums have disappointed me. Are their golden eras over? Compare 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' to 'Night is the new Day' and 'My Arms' to 'Watershed'. All quality albums but there's an x factor missing in the new releases. Do you know what I mean or am I going senile in my old age?

Based on Watershed I'd say that yes, Opeth is worse. The album is missing everything that was "cool" about Opeth and it just sounds like old-school cheese sometimes. It sounds sometimes like a record my grandmother would even listen to, lol.

Katatonia in fact for me has yet to put out an album I can't listen to. Night is the New Day, overall, is actually a step up from TGCD and that album was like a 9/10 for me.

Wow, to each their own but seriously??????? You don't even mention Morningrise? Which is greater than Orchid, for sure. And Watershed is easily their worst album for me. In fact, I'll go as far as to say I don't even pop it into my stereo which is a FIRST for Opeth for me.
Still Life kicks ass, yes....Still Life, MAYH and BWP are the BIG three from this band, in my opinion. Then again, Morningrise is in there too....
QUOTE]

To each their own for sure, Morningrise has good moments but sometimes 3-4 minutes will go by and I don't have much of an emotional reaction (guess that is the risk a band takes when the average song length on the record is 12-13 minutes or so), and I'll take Orchid over Morningraise without question. I also saw Opeth here in L.A. recently when they performed BWP in its entirety, and then played one song from every other album in the second set. I enjoyed the second set much more and try as I might I just can't get into BWP at all.

These threads certainly show how each person has their own unique tastes! God knows why one person can like Amorphis and think Sentenced sucks for example (I like em both), or why some think Blackwater Park is the best Opeth record when I think Still Life is much better. It would be a boring world though if we all liked the same thing!

These threads certainly show how each person has their own unique tastes! God knows why one person can like Amorphis and think Sentenced sucks for example (I like em both), or why some think Blackwater Park is the best Opeth record when I think Still Life is much better. It would be a boring world though if we all liked the same thing!
True.

But come on dude, the song Bleak must make you feel something??! :cool:

True.

But come on dude, the song Bleak must make you feel something??! :cool:

Haha, exactly. Easily the best off the record and one of Opeth's finest songs for sure.

Season1234: Well, overall, I think I'd take Still Life over BWP as well....but damn, they're both like 10/10 albums for me.

OK, so this:isn't entirely true ;)

Well, not entirely true, but it is hard for me to consider a record a success if I like 3 songs quite a bit and find that the other 6 do nothing for me (which is the case with BWP). A 33% success rate does not cut it (just like the last 5 My Dying Bride albums)! On the other hand, Still Life doesn't have a bad song on it! I know tons of people will choose BWP as the best Opeth record, but for me Still Life has better riffs, vocal melodies/harmonies, acoustic sections, etc.

i prefer a heavier take on music. so obviously for me its got to go to opeth. and unlike the others ive really enjoyed every single opeth release. even ghost reveries and watershed

That's a toughy...I'm sorry I chose Opeth just because I like more Opeth albums then Katatonia albums. TGCD was bleh and I'm not the biggest fan of discouraged ones. While Watershed is def Opeth's worst album Ghost Reveries was incredible and still is. Night is the new day blows em all away though.

Yikes! I voted for Katatonia only because, as a whole, NITND is a more robust album than Watershed. As far as the bands themselves, tough to decide.

As far as album oriented bands, both are pretty equal. As far as a live band, Opeth takes it by a mile.

Katatoniaaaaaa :worship:
I would've never imagined a music / a band I found so depressive after listening ''Dance of...'' for the first time about 15 years ago or so, could become one o' mine all times fave bands...

Actually, I don't like Opeth so much anymore after the release of ''Blackwater park''.
I prefer their first 3 records, ''Orchid'' and ''My arms, your hearse'' especially.