Fades in protools

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
OK i did quite a bit of punch in recording and stuff and when i try and do a cross fade between the 2 audio section i get an error message saying not enough data selected and i can chose skip fades or adjust boundaries???

im trying to smooth out the little pops and stuff from punching in and out!!
Ive done these fades before just dont understand why i can't now??

broken81 said:
OK i did quite a bit of punch in recording and stuff and when i try and do a cross fade between the 2 audio section i get an error message saying not enough data selected and i can chose skip fades or adjust boundaries???

im trying to smooth out the little pops and stuff from punching in and out!!
Ive done these fades before just dont understand why i can't now??
you haven't selected enough area. I believe PT has a 5 sample minimum for fades. You get a similar message when ther isn't enough unused audio on one of the regions.

dont mater how much audio i select i can't do a cross fade for some reason, and if i chose readjust boundries when it ask it just does fade to one side of audio not a cross fade :erk:

im real confused cause i have used fades on my punch in parts to smoth out clicks and pops before and now its doing this :loco:

It's because the two regions you're trying to fade together don't have enough hidden audio between them to put a fade across. Look at a session where you've successfully made a crossfade, obviously it looks kind of like this: |><| Once you create that fade on the initial break in the audio, the region on the right actually ends on that left line, and the region on the left ends on the right line...the regions don't end in the middle of the X. So if you're trying to make a fade and one of the regions doesn't have audio that extends out to that opposite line, then there can't be a crossfade. I can't think of a better way to explain it without actually sitting there in person.

So how do i want to go about punching in and out do i wana punch in actually before were audio stops so i have overlaping audio to crossfade??

should i come out of grid mode to punch in so i can make overlap real small? Cause i think it would sound weired to overlap audio that much in grid??

thanks Andy :headbang: once again PROTOOLS GURU

now for all the Punch ins i have already done will i have to use pencil tool and connect wave forms by hand to correct the little pops from punch ins??

Andy Sneap said:
you need to punch in in quick punch mode

yeppers otherwise youll have a clicking editing nightmare.

ps for a natural sounding edit try and get the fade on the zero crossing point.
i.e move the regions till where the ends meet the wave form looks more or less seemless between the two; or as close as yopu can get