Fall 2012 North American tour

^ Thanks :D I'll try that when Kamelot rolls through again in the spring sometime I think they said in an interview. I'll be too poor to do many concerts till then since I'll be going up to NYC to see them again. That might explain why my shots varied so extremely from great to absolute crap. :lol:

I toggle between a Canon S100 and Sony HX20V.

The Canon is a powerful little P&S cam.

I see you took the Kamelot photos with the HX20V, did you also use it for the NW vids? Nice cam BTW, I've heard it's great in low light conditions and your pix look excellent. I was curious if it makes good vids.

Did you really use Sports setting for these (not shutter priority mode)?

I got a Panasonic Lumix SZ7 a couple of months back, it's really small and light and takes great vids. Pix in low light are decent but I'm not too crazy about the ISO 1600 quality. I'm still learning the best manual setting for the concerts, unfortunately sometimes it's just too dark for it to take pix with lower ISO. I can upload NYC NW and Kamelot pix I took but I'll be honest they're not quite as good ;)

Welcome Gabriel! :wave:

Hi C, long time no see! You may remember me from Epmtyspiral and the old forum.. been a few years, eh?

Well, looks like the fans in Austin got an extra-special treat..."Ghost Love Score" with Floor!

http://youtu.be/I8lqmAAdGYU

Darn, I guess I'll never see this song live! We almost got it at the last tour (with Annette obviously), but in NYC they decided to substitute it with HtH :(

Sound is awful BTW... hopefully a better version turns up.

From what Taimi said on Facebook, OKC got this special treat as well. :D

I've accepted that I will never hear "Ghost Love Score" live. We got screwed out of it on the Once tour, and then again in '08 when the band put it back on the setlist in Europe but didn't bring it here. Now the same has happened again. :(

But that's OK, I got what I wanted anyway. I would not be so selfish as to ask for more! ;)

From what Taimi said on Facebook, OKC got this special treat as well. :D

I've accepted that I will never hear "Ghost Love Score" live. We got screwed out of it on the Once tour, and then again in '08 when the band put it back on the setlist in Europe but didn't bring it here. Now the same has happened again. :(

But that's OK, I got what I wanted anyway. I would not be so selfish as to ask for more! ;)

I feel the exact same way C. if it does happen one day I will be over the moon though.

I see you took the Kamelot photos with the HX20V, did you also use it for the NW vids? Nice cam BTW, I've heard it's great in low light conditions and your pix look excellent. I was curious if it makes good vids.

Did you really use Sports setting for these (not shutter priority mode)?

I got a Panasonic Lumix SZ7 a couple of months back, it's really small and light and takes great vids. Pix in low light are decent but I'm not too crazy about the ISO 1600 quality. I'm still learning the best manual setting for the concerts, unfortunately sometimes it's just too dark for it to take pix with lower ISO. I can upload NYC NW and Kamelot pix I took but I'll be honest they're not quite as good ;)

Thanks.

Yep, the "Running Man" setting and did my best to snap shots where I had the best lighting.

Yes.... it produces great videos, but I think lighting, sound also make a big different when using this camera. The video autofocus goes to crap when the band focuses on darker blues or reds during their lighting. I'm still on the look out for a camera with better video recording capabilities in the Sony/Canon catalog.

GLS, less than 2 weeks after Floor joins...

GDI.

I remember seeing the set list at the Key Club and thinking Tuomas really wanted to bury the Tarja era. Now it seems he just had to favor his new singer who couldn't handle the old material. They should have bounced Anette sooner if this was gonna be the outcome.

if it does happen one day I will be over the moon though.

But of course. :D

I remember seeing the set list at the Key Club and thinking Tuomas really wanted to bury the Tarja era. Now it seems he just had to favor his new singer who couldn't handle the old material. They should have bounced Anette sooner if this was gonna be the outcome.

Well, he did say in our interview that they were rehearsing older material, that this was just what they were doing for the beginning of the tour; so old-era songs were never totally ruled out. However, I do think it's sad that in just 10 days since Floor has come on board, most people are already starting to forget Anette like she never existed. :(

The video autofocus goes to crap when the band focuses on darker blues or reds during their lighting. I'm still on the look out for a camera with better video recording capabilities in the Sony/Canon catalog.
Those red lights killed my shots at the Pittsburgh Kamelot show too. :mad: God I hate those things, though for the show they do look awesome.

Seeing as how I had so little room on my memory card, I did not take Kamelot pictures. :( I really wish I had, though.

Edit: Here's the setlist from last night's New Orleans show.

Yes, much as I would have loved to have "Ghost Love Score" and "Ever Dream", I did get "Dead to the World" and "Higher Than Hope", so I am content.

tumblr_mbrop5NrsC1r7fmbio1_1280.jpg

I do think it's sad that in just 10 days since Floor has come on board, most people are already starting to forget Anette like she never existed. :(

Look, I defended her from the Tarja bigots who found EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY OPPORTUNITY to hate on her to the point I wanted them banned.

But Anette was a mistake. She was the wrong person for Nightwish. A sweet gal, I'm sure. But JUST. WRONG. I heard her attempt GLS once and I stopped. It was painful

I suspect that after the drama with Tarja, Tuomas made his decision based on who they got along with best to avoid drama. She and the boys always seemed to get along great and have nice chemistry, even at the end we saw no hints on stage of problems (which made Troy's complaining blog post even more mysterious). But he hired a friend, not a singer.

Thanks.

Yep, the "Running Man" setting and did my best to snap shots where I had the best lighting.

Yes.... it produces great videos, but I think lighting, sound also make a big different when using this camera. The video autofocus goes to crap when the band focuses on darker blues or reds during their lighting. I'm still on the look out for a camera with better video recording capabilities in the Sony/Canon catalog.

I never even tried Sports setting on my camera... I tend to not trust any of the pre-sets but I'd give it a shot some day to see how it turns out. I really didn't notice any issues on your videos, but if you are not happy with it, have you considered Panasonic Lumix? Based on my research it's the best option for concert videos, even the low-end model such as my exceeded expectations, the AF doesn't get thrown off by red/blue/flashing lights, and the sound comes out great, never distorted no matter how loud the show. You may want to consider a ZS20 (or ZS19) model to be in the same class as your Sony. I went for a "smaller" model because I wanted something small but I'm really second-guessing my decision when I see photos like yours ;)

Traxan said:
But Anette was a mistake. She was the wrong person for Nightwish. A sweet gal, I'm sure. But JUST. WRONG. I heard her attempt GLS once and I stopped. It was painful

Well I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of Anette and I agree she butchers the old material but Toumas had been writing for someone with her vocal style on the last 2 albums, and I would even say he started moving into that direction on the last 2 albums with Tarja as well. Anette was actually a perfect fir for this style. But now for the sake of an argument, if Floor joins the band, he'd have to go back to Tarja era songwriting to fully use her voice. I'm really doubt it will happen, so I personally don't think Floor will be permanent replacement (not sure if she even wants to join NW full time).

Full show in HD by "daniel morales" on youtube.com

Nightwish Live At The House Of Blues, Lake Buena Vista, FL Oct 14. 2012​

This was the last show of the Nightwish North American Imaginaerum Tour 2012, and only 11th ever with Floor Jansen fronting the band. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by a moderator: