Fan Of Other Music Then Metal....

Pellaz said:
Bring back Stacey!

(errr, ahem...)

I like all sorts of music, everything from Cryptopsy to The Changelings, Opeth to Ozric Tentacles, Dimmu Borgir to Dead Can Dance. For a look, check out my CD List. (!)
have to give credit to Paul for turning me on to Opeth! :) As for Ozrics I knew about these chaps from years ago and it was nice to hear that a few others here on the boards knew who I was talking about...of course I am nowhere near the fan that Paul is but I do have some cool stuff by them (remember that tape single I got for your Pellaz?).

MetalRose said:
I can flamenco dance! :)

I listen to Gothic, Industrial, Death, and Opera. Yes, opera.

-MetalRose
:headbang:Flamenco On MR:headbang:

I can't tell you how many times I've been to flamenco shows when I was in Spain...especially the local stuff where you hang out in the street and the gitanos (gipsys) will come out and play that shit...or at the fairs...awesome stuff...and it goes very well with vino tinto (red wine)!!! :)

TooBad knows my tastes, but that's just cos we grew up together.

Metal first and foremost.. always will be, I was raised on rock with KISS & Alice Cooper at an early age. Some of the first records I owned that weren't Kiss or Cooper were; Blondie - Autoamerican, Queen - the Game, Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll, Pat Benatar - In The Heat of the Night & Crimes Of Passion.

From them it was Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Ratt, Keel, Autograph, Rough Cutt, Dio... you know, the whole 80s metal scene. But I still love 80s pop & new wave. To me, that was the best music decade. I ran an 80s nite at a local club for af ew years with another buddy of mine before 80s was "cool" again. We're thinking of starting it again.

If I'm not listening to metal, I'm listening to 80s, although I still keep up on my Debbie (Deborah now) Gibson releases and go see her plays when they come through Tampa.:headbang:

I am a product of my upbringing; my parents listened to a lot of oldies and what's now known as Classic Rock, so I love all that stuff, plus the 80's NuWave pop that I grew up with (especially Duran Duran). Throw in a smidge of disco and funk and a random alternative tune here and there, mix it in with all the different flavors of Metal, and you have the contents of my iPod!

Awwright... I'll do it. :loco:

Oldies car cruising music! Anything you'd hear from a radio back in the 50's and 60's... the Eagles, BIG TIME, cuz damnit, I grew up on the Eagles... classical music like Beethoven, Bach and some Mozart... movie soundtracks like Lord of the Rings, The Man in the Iron Mask, the Conan movies, Star Wars, Braveheart, anything with orchestrated symphonies, and hell yeah to the Kull the Conqueror soundtrack with METAL riffs in there... traditional celtic gaelic music and lotsa bagpipes, like good ol Irish folk songs and drinking songs, especially the drinking songs...

...and the great Dr. Dirty, JOHN VALBY!!!

If you know who he is... you are hereby proclaimed hellacool.

I like pop music, but only as a casual fan. I don't go out and buy pop albums, but I do enjoy seeing them on MTV. Like some of the hard rock on MTV, but it's pretty simplistic stuff.

I like a little bit of everything, except hip-hop, unless you count Beastie Boys. I listen to classic rock, some current alternative, 80s pop and new-wave, goth, industrial, some classic country, funk/R&B, swing/big band, blues, rockabilly, and yes -- even "easy listening". It was on the radio in my house all the time when I was growing up; I learned it from osmosis! My friends make fun of me when I can sing along with Johnny Mathis and Barbra Streisand. :) But mostly it's rock.

I also just discovered the soundtracks for Cowboy Bebop. There's a lot of really good stuff on those soundtracks.

It doesn't count as music, but I listen to a lot of audiobooks and old radio shows too. Helps me get through the workday... :)

I love all music, some in less doses than others :) About the only form I don't care for is a lot of rap. I listen to a lot of 80s/90s pop, soundtracks, Classic rock, classical, bluegrass, you name it. Most recently purchased non-Metal stuff has been: Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, soundtrack for Van Helsing, Journey best of, Bostom best of, Tait (although this album has some darn heavy stuff on it!).

I joined my Church contemporary worship band (playing bass although I am mainly a guitarist) a few months ago so I've been neck deep in a lot of the newer praise/worship tunes/bands. I actually made my lead vocal debut in a tune from the band Casting Crowns this past week! (You're Love is Extravagant) Anyways, I like it all! :)

Pixelherder said:
I also just discovered the soundtracks for Cowboy Bebop. There's a lot of really good stuff on those soundtracks.

*high-fives*

The soundtracks to Cowboy Bebop are downright amazing. There is such an incredible variety of music in there, and it's all so superb, and it's all composed by the same woman. When viewed as a whole, that's definitely the best soundtrack in the history of film and television, in my mind.

gee Metal Rose, we have similar interests. I do flamenco dance and am learning to play flamenco guitar. I also love classical music as well East Indian and Middle Eastern music, opera, jazz, etc. I'm not really into country or rap but am able to keep an open mind (or open ear) and can even listen to Chinese operatic music and Tuvan throat music. That's fantastic stuff!

I like 80s rap, and some rap metal, like Stuck Mojo, but rap since the 90s sucks mostly. They don't even stay on the beat, they just talk while some really cheesy bass plays in the background.

I miss the Fat Boys. Fat Boys reunion for Progpower!:)

I love jazz, not only metal rocks my world, but hate pop music! sorry pop lovers, so sorry.

adaher said:
I like 80s rap, and some rap metal, like Stuck Mojo, but rap since the 90s sucks mostly. They don't even stay on the beat, they just talk while some really cheesy bass plays in the background.

I miss the Fat Boys. Fat Boys reunion for Progpower!:)

Yeah, Stuck Mojo was one of the few bands that was legitimately rap-metal, as opposed to rap-watered-down-Helmet.

great post from everyone. thanks, as i posted originally, iam also into some modern rock bands....fuel, disturbed, staind thecult, and love 80's rock bands since that is when i grew up.

and for creeps...... :headbang: long live debbie gibson and belinda carlisle and the might go-go's :headbang:

I'm really into trance techno, classical music, celtic folk music, and epic movie soundtracks like braveheart and the last of the mohicans

Hhaha, I had a flirtation with trance music that lasted about a year. Me and my friend would make the cheesiest shit and send it to the radio to play on their Electric X on Sat nights. I dont know if any got played or not cos it lasted from midnight til 3 AM.

Ben

I like a huge variety of music... But I can't say there is a particular style I like... I mean, I love System of A Down and a couple other nu metal bands, but i dislike the vast majority.. .Same goes for pop, jazz, grunge, punk, you name it...

The only constant is that the 80's sucked :yuk: I HATE cheesy 80's pop, glam, hard rock, metal and even prog...
Even my favorite band sucked during the 80's... Savatage's discography starts from the hall of the mountain king for me :D

Okay. *steps up to the plate* I may really surprise some here, but who knows? lol

I grew up listening to a wide range of music, and performing from a very young age. I love Symphonic Chorale music for that reason. Influenced by my Dad's taste, I also fell in love with the Blues (Early Elvis, BB King, Ray Charles, etc.), Big Bands and some of the silly 50's Do Wop type material. My mom introduced me to the more mellow stuff which definitely influences my downtempo writing (John Denver, Willie Nelson, Neil Diamond, The Carpenters, Elton John, Billy Joel, Barbara Streisand, etc.)

When I started developing my own taste in music it was the late 70s, Star Wars just came out and I devoured every record I could get with my allowance :) Then came Queen, Styx, Foreigner, Night Ranger, Deep Purple, Zep and Pink Floyd. Throw in some of the standard kiddie pop (Still think Funky Town kicks ass!) and you have a blend of what I grew up on and still appreciate today. My matured taste in music includes some Alternative/Rock/Pop, but the talent has to be substantial for me to get into it. Haven't listened to mainstream radio since I found Prog in 1988-89. Don't miss it at all :) Do still enjoy some of the 80s and early 90s Rock (Whitesnake, Tesla, Blue Murder, Ratt, Dokken, etc.), though.

Great thread!!