Fan Of Other Music Then Metal....

I also forgot to list: Jazz, blues (I actually saw Muddy Waters in Lousiana before he died- I was WAY young though) and Classical. One of my favorite things to do is put on Classical while driving through the rain or while it's snowing. It makes me feel like I am in a movie.

About the only thing I don't listen to is hip-hop/ (c)rap. I used to work at a country radio station when I lived in Missouri.

-MetalRose

:D I have a rather wide range of musical tastes...Hmm Let's see..

I really enjoy flamenco music a lot bands such as Strunz & Farah, Jesse Cook, Gipsy Kings,really like that fusion of Flamenco & metal called Flametal too...

I also enjoy New Age...Enya & Yanni...:Spin: Yes, u read right Yanni! His concerts are amazing!

Also movie soundtracks some of my fav are: Braveheart, All Mummy movies, Van Helsing..I like those bigg sounding epic soundtracks!

On the other hand I enjoy Gothic, industrial music too....;)

I do like some of those new bands out there Lamb of God, Unearth, Shadows FAll, Disturbed...

I'm pretty open minded but NOOOOOOOOOO country, rap or tejano for me!!!

MetalRose said:
Hey Silent Cries- Have you ever seen "The Blue Man Group" or "Stomp"? They both rock!

-MetalRose
Can't say that I have...I have always wanted to catch The Blue MAn Group!! :Spin:

Have you heard of Flametal....It's a fusion of flamenco + metal!! Very interesting they are located in CAli area! Even had Marty Friedman do a song with them! Check it out!

http://www.flametal.com/pages/flametal.html

Angela :wave:

I like most music with the exception of Rap, and 90% of country stuff. Other than that though I can handle just about anything.

I personally grew up on 80's hair stuff, but also had plenty of exposure to 70's classic rock stuff working some jobs with people 10-15 years older than me who listened to nothing but that.

I really like to chill out to classical stuff, especially the more guitar oriented classical stuff like Segovia.

Another great relaxing guitar oriented player I love to listen to is Alex DeGrassi

But my favorite type of music outside of metal is blues. Everything from old Robert Johnson stuff to SRV (my idol).

chibitotoro said:
I'm heavily into the Japanese pop music scene, and have a lot of favorites in there, as well as Japanese rock.
I'm heavily into Japanese pop and rock, also. Everything from TM Revolution to Madeth Gray'll. LOVE IT!

I also really enjoy electronica and dance music, along with goth/industrial, and loads of 80's glam & classic rock!

And of course, I also bo to the Masters: Mozart, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Verdi, and even Cage! I even like a lot of opera music, particularlly older styles like Beiging opera, kabuki theater, etc..

Then there are some hodge-podge things like Blue Man Group, Cirque del Soleil, and Riverdance :p

Tammy Z

80's Pop - Breathe, Glass Tiger, Huey Lewis and the News

Gothic Rock/Metal - Saviour Machine, A Room With A View, Theatre Of Tragedy
Glam - Vamp, The Peppermint Creeps
80's Metal - White Lion (Vito Bratta), Saigon Kick, Skid Row, Tyketto, Wolvesbane, EZO, Loudness

NO RAP!

sh0kr0k said:
I'm heavily into Japanese pop and rock, also. Everything from TM Revolution to Madeth Gray'll. LOVE IT!

Excellent! Some of my favorites are Morning Musume, Puffy, X Japan, Hide, Tommy February6, Shiina Ringo, Sex Machineguns, and more. I saw TM Revolution in concert last year, and Puffy the year before. Both put on great shows, they were tons of fun.

STUCK MOJO never got their due. What an incredible band and great performers. I head the led singer (rapper) was starting a new band called the 420Monks. The rest are in Fozzy. They never really did say that theywere done, I hope not, it would be a shame. There's also another band project they have going but I can't remember the name, it's linked on their official site (or was last time I was there).

To all these new metal bands that state (Korn) that they invented rap metal (bullsh*t Korn) they need to do some research before shooting off at the mouth (Korn). Stuck Mojo and the HARDCORPS (prior to Stuck Mojo) were the true innovators.

Not counting RUN DMC/Aerosmith because that was only 1 tune, but we all know they planted the seed.

chibitotoro said:
Excellent! Some of my favorites are Morning Musume, Puffy, X Japan, Hide, Tommy February6, Shiina Ringo, Sex Machineguns, and more. I saw TM Revolution in concert last year, and Puffy the year before. Both put on great shows, they were tons of fun.
VERY awesome choices!! My list of favorites are TM Revolution, Surface, GLAY, X JAPAN, Boom Boom Satellites, Blam Honey, Madeth Gray'll, Malice Mizer (of course), Vizel, Kinki Kids, Kagrra, Pierrot, Dir en Grey, Da Pump, and even SMAP have a few good songs!

I would love to see TMR live! I bought his B.E.S.T. Summer CRUSH live DVD on eBay a few days ago and have been drooling over it ever since. He's one heck of a perfomer! I really hope that he keeps gaining popularity in the U.S. and comes over for a tour some time! TMR is on my "I must see before I die" list.

Are you familiar with the Japan For Sale compilation cd's from Tofu Records?
http://www.tofurecords.com

Tammy Z

Yeah, I've seen those collections before. They offer a pretty nice variety of mainstream and not-so-mainstream stuff. Personally I don't own any, I get full CDs instead. I spent most of this past summer in Japan, and I bought plenty of CDs while I was there. The MSRP on CDs there is ludicrous, as I'm sure you know (usually over 3000 yen, or around $30), but there are lots of stores where you can buy used CDs for massive discounts, and I hit those up frequently. I think highest on my list of Japanese groups to see right now are Morning Musume and Psycho le Cemu...the former because they're so cute and they're what got me into Jpop, and the latter because their costume play is just so over the top.

I listen to all kinds of music other than metal, although metal makes up by far the largest portion of my cd collection. I enjoy classic rock , some oldies, a little country (specifically,Garth Brooks) and some old school rap like Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, but i cannot stand any rap that's come out since. But my favorite genre after metal is movie scores. I love huge scores from movies like Independence Day, Star Wars, Aliens, X-Men and many more. For those of you on the board that like these, check out my OTHER internet radio station.
Sci-Fantasy (Action, SciFi, & Fantasy movie scores)

powermetal2000 said:
But my favorite genre after metal is movie scores. I love huge scores from movies like Independence Day, Star Wars, Aliens, X-Men and many more.

I think that Basil Pouledouris' soundtrack to "Conan the Barbarian" is one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time.

Though I already replied to this post, I will add a little more. 95% of what I listen to is metal. Some is prog, some is oldschool, some is power, thrash etc. etc. but I am a metal-head basically because that is what I like the most. I don't limit myself to any particular style of music though.
John Denver has been the blunt of many jokes in his liftime (RIP) but though I have to this day had a hard time dealing with his vocals, some of his intricate layered acoustic guitar melodies (with a little mandolin thrown in) are incredible. I like what I like and the styles of music varies greatly. It's hard for me put a finger on a "style" of music I like other than metal.

Bryant

chibitotoro said:
I think highest on my list of Japanese groups to see right now are Morning Musume and Psycho le Cemu...the former because they're so cute and they're what got me into Jpop, and the latter because their costume play is just so over the top.
Psycho le Cemu - good choice!!! I would also like to see Dir n Grey, Phobia, Blam Honey, and Baiser for the same reason! And of course Moix Dix Moi (or whatever it is...)

The Japan 4 Sale cds are alright. I'm not crazy about a lot of the bands on them, but the novelty is great! I spend so much time and money collecting JRock & JPop, and now that I have ZERO access to file-sharing, the Japan 4 Sale cds offer a nice selection of music for me to check out. It's nice not spending hours digging for translated websites or spending a fortune on an import single that I end up not liking. Though websurfing is a great deal of fun and much of the music I come across I end up loving anyway! :tickled:

I was browsing on eBayearlier and thought of you when I saw this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45104&item=4043316726&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Tammy Z

Ooh, that is excellent! Precisely the kind of thing I had to resist buying while I was over there, in order to be able to feed myself for the last couple weeks of my trip. Thanks for thinking of me though. :)

By the way, I discovered a great Japanese band the other day, called Soul Flower Union. They play a remarkably eclectic style of music, combining traditional musical elements from Japan, Korea, China, Ireland, USA, India, and who the hell knows where else. The end result could have been a mess, but they choose to concentrate on different styles with different songs, and I absolutely love it. I see you said that you have no access to file-sharing, but I'd be happy to share this, or other music, with you if we can find a way.

Mostly I listen to Metal... say a good 80-90% of my listening time is with Sonata Arctica, Demonlord, Firewind, Edguy, Avanatasia, Sonta again :), etc.
However, in the car I listen to VERY much news (NPR) and either talk radio or self-help stuff like Brian Tracy, Anthony Robbins, or personal finance stuff.

God help me, and PLEASE don't lynch me, but I *discovered* the spice girls a few months back... good mercy were they catchy... I considered my trip to PPV atonement for that sin!!! :Spin:

Well,
I dig a lot of jazz/fusion (especially Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Vital Information, and Cab) and classical music (particularly Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, and Tchaikovsky). Being a prog metal geek, I definitely have to give respect to the prog rockers who influenced my favorite bands (some of those influential bands being Kansas, the Dixie Dregs, Genesis, U.K., and Yes). Though I can't stand the good majority of what's on the radio, there are some classic bands who have won me over (the most noteworthy being Journey). I think that just about covers it. Oh, and Billy Ocean. That guy was smooth!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

chibitotoro said:
Ooh, that is excellent! Precisely the kind of thing I had to resist buying while I was over there, in order to be able to feed myself for the last couple weeks of my trip. Thanks for thinking of me though. :)

By the way, I discovered a great Japanese band the other day, called Soul Flower Union. They play a remarkably eclectic style of music, combining traditional musical elements from Japan, Korea, China, Ireland, USA, India, and who the hell knows where else. The end result could have been a mess, but they choose to concentrate on different styles with different songs, and I absolutely love it. I see you said that you have no access to file-sharing, but I'd be happy to share this, or other music, with you if we can find a way.
Hmm, I haven't heard of them yet! I will check them out on the net and if I can't find a song clip or two, I'll come back to you. They sounds pretty cool, I really like bands that have a neat mixture of styles!

I couldn't imagine being in Japan with money to spend! I would go crazy! :loco: I think that I just might give up food for the entire time I'm there! hahaha! How many CDs did you buy while you were there?? What other cool stuff did you get? I just discovered the coolness of pencil boards! I MUST find a TM Revolution or X Japan or Malice Mizer pencil board! Check this out: http://www.engrish.com/recent_detail.php?imagename=tmrevolution.jpg&category=Music&date=2003-09-04

Tammy Z

I bought somewhere in the range of 30-35 CDs over there, plus a few DVDs of Jpop PVs. That veritable bounty of music constitutes the majority of what I bought for myself while I was there. Aside from that I bought a few t-shirts, a couple of shinto charms, a few videogames, and some assorted trinkets. But the main thing i brought back for myself was an immense amount of fantastic memories, and a whole boatload of pictures.