FATES WARNING TO BE ON THE BALL!

The old HBB kicks the shit out of the new one, hands down...of course that's just my opinion. We would watch the old one every week at someone's house...almost religiously. I barely stop on the new one when I flip by trying to find something decent to watch on Sat. nights.

TheWhisper said:
The old HBB kicks the shit out of the new one, hands down...of course that's just my opinion. We would watch the old one every week at someone's house...almost religiously. I barely stop on the new one when I flip by trying to find something decent to watch on Sat. nights.

Well, the difference is that before when you would have to sit through hair metal...at least hair metal was so over the top it was humerous, plus it was almost certain you'd see some hot chicks somewhere in them too. Metalcore is just...annoying and irritating.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
So? Who cares. Lots of good bands get on that fagcocking shithell-fashioncrap motherfucking Hot-Topic gawfic show featuring that fagcore himself.

I think you've been hanging around to many n00bs at MP.com. Get off the troll cycle and come back to us.

Bear

Yngvai X said:
Well, the difference is that before when you would have to sit through hair metal...at least hair metal was so over the top it was humerous, plus it was almost certain you'd see some hot chicks somewhere in them too. Metalcore is just...annoying and irritating.

you are right, Metal Mania comes on the same time and if I feel like it I just switch back and forth...speaking of hair metal....

So did they even have HB on this past Saturday? When I flipped to it there was a Jackass-wannabee show on with some silly name.

Or have they changed the time that Headbanger's (MTV2) is on?

BABS said:
So did they even have HB on this past Saturday? When I flipped to it there was a Jackass-wannabee show on with some silly name.

Or have they changed the time that Headbanger's (MTV2) is on?

Not really sure Babs. However, if you would like to see the video, you can follow this link: http://music.yahoo.com/ar-314713-videos--Fates-Warning

The video is not that good. I just think it is great to see FW on tv in an capacity.

Yipes, I hadn't even thought about HBB in months, or years.... I can remember when it was pretty good.

Oddly enough, original HBB host Adam Curry, despite his appearance, was a solid metal fan. I thought he might have been, since he was realllly encouraging people to call in for Queensryche's "Eyes of a Stranger" when he was hosting their Top 15 countdown (of course, I called a lot anyway :)). Later, he operated a BBS from his house in New Jersey -- remember BBSs? -- and I was a participant there for awhile, where he confirmed his love for 'good' metal. Pretty cool chap, and computer-savvy, too: he was the original owner of mtv.com before they forced him to surrender the domain.

He quit MTV and announced his disgust with their change in format (they had switched to showing a lot of stupid shows instead of music videos) during his taping of that day's Top 15 segment...of course, it didn't make it to broadcast....more's the pity!

Just watched the video. It wasn't that bad!

Ray just needs Babs to do his grocery shopping and bring him his pipe and slippers when he comes home (ROTFL).

Personally, I think it's about time Fates Warning got at least five minutes of exposure on television this decade. As for anybody complaining about the video, what the hell did you expect? It's not a song about slaying a dragon or fighting in space. I'm surprised that Brian Slagel invested any money in them, seeing as how he hasn't given them a decent push in the last decade. For a music video featuring one hella obscure band, I think it's pretty cool. If you want an entertaining music video, check out more power metal. Of course, you'll have to look somewhere other than a music video station...

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
Personally, I think it's about time Fates Warning got at least five minutes of exposure on television this decade. As for anybody complaining about the video, what the hell did you expect? It's not a song about slaying a dragon or fighting in space. I'm surprised that Brian Slagel invested any money in them, seeing as how he hasn't given them a decent push in the last decade. For a music video featuring one hella obscure band, I think it's pretty cool. If you want an entertaining music video, check out more power metal. Of course, you'll have to look somewhere other than a music video station...

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

No one on here is a bigger Fates Fan than I am. I have been listening to them since the beginig " night on broken". They are the standard by wich all others a judged for me. Having said that, the video is just okay. Although I will take any FW video at all, as long as they get exposure. They are one of the most underrated and underapreciated bands of all times. Long lives Fates Warning! :headbang:

Pellaz said:
Yipes, I hadn't even thought about HBB in months, or years.... I can remember when it was pretty good.

Oddly enough, original HBB host Adam Curry, despite his appearance, was a solid metal fan. I thought he might have been, since he was realllly encouraging people to call in for Queensryche's "Eyes of a Stranger" when he was hosting their Top 15 countdown (of course, I called a lot anyway :)). Later, he operated a BBS from his house in New Jersey -- remember BBSs? -- and I was a participant there for awhile, where he confirmed his love for 'good' metal. Pretty cool chap, and computer-savvy, too: he was the original owner of mtv.com before they forced him to surrender the domain.

He quit MTV and announced his disgust with their change in format (they had switched to showing a lot of stupid shows instead of music videos) during his taping of that day's Top 15 segment...of course, it didn't make it to broadcast....more's the pity!

I actually liked Adam as well. I thought Ricky was a goob though!

SavaRon said:
I actually think the ball is decent. Sure they play some shit but the old ball did to. Everybody seems to remember HBB being great but it was almost the same. A few videos you wanted to see and the rest sucked. You didn't need all those hair bands on there when they played them 24 hours a day anyway. That used to drive me crazy and I liked some of those bands too! When they started up the ball again I thought it was going to be all Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park type stuff. They actually stay away from most of those bands. I just record it with my DVR and then scan through what I want to see. :cool:

IMO, I don't think the current ball is decent, but I do agree with your comment on the old one being a little lame too! You got me to thinking about it, and they did play too much of the pretty boy glam stuff. Yes, I liked alot of those bands too, but MTV was just riding the ride for the $$$ then, like they are now! We'd all be kidding ourselves if we actually thought that MTV was loyal to a genre of music, because they just like it. Anyway, I think you make a good point.

FatesFan said:
FATES WARNING - ‘Simple Human’ Video To Premier On Headbanger’s Ball [Hot Flashes - 05.04.15 09:27:03]

FATES WARNING’s newest video, ‘Simple Human’ (directed by Jerry Clubb), will premier on MTV2’s Headbanger’s Ball on Saturday April 16th.

‘Simple Human’ comes from the band’s new album, FWX.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

As I've already told you, it blows me away that MTV would give a band like Fates Warning any recognition whatsoever! I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If Parallels got the airplay that Empire did back in the day, Parallels would have been just as big, if not bigger!!! It doesn't make any sense to me how Fates Warning has been overlooked throughout the years!

It is a pretty silly video. Doesn't seem as unnecessary as say...the video for The Reckoning or anything, but you know they had a shoe string budget for this thing. I'm just surprised they played it. If they played this, I wonder if they're going to play any of those Kamelot videos? Would be a shame for the label to have spent the money to make those good videos and Youngblood & co. to not get any US exposure from 'em. :/

edgeofthorns said:
If Parallels got the airplay that Empire did back in the day, Parallels would have been just as big, if not bigger!!!

Interestingly enough, it was the old Headbangers Ball that got me into progressive metal. Back then, before the days of the internet, imports, or a lot of friends who were into the more esoteric braches of metal, Headbanger's Ball was my primary source for hearing new bands - one of which was Fates Warning. I remember seeing the video for "Point of View" and thinking, "I like Queensryche, and these guys remind me of them." That is the reason I bought "Parallels." I really think that Fates Warning could easily have filled in the vacancy after "Empire." Headbager's Ball was also where I heard "Pull Me Under" for the first time. Of course, even then, most of the other bands they played were pretty lousy ;)

Well, Since I never had cable t.v. during the 80's I had to rely on magazines or write to the lables themselves and get on a mailing list to find new music. Videos for the most part IMO are ridiculous and pointless. I would much perfer to see and hear the band play LIVE in a video than to see some director's goofy vision of the song. Don't get me wrong. Some videos were cool, some were funny but a lot were just plain awful. HBB was(is) a way to get bands exposure but it seems to me that the bands that benefit and get constant rotation are not to my liking.

Mxgonzo said:
Well, Since I never had cable t.v. during the 80's I had to rely on magazines or write to the lables themselves and get on a mailing list to find new music.

Magazines were also important to me back then. I remember one called "Screamer" (I think) that was actually pretty good for a mainstream metal/hard rock magazine. They actually had articles and not just puff promotional pieces. It was because of them that I heard of Gamma Ray, and found "Sigh no More" shortly thereafter.