Favorite albums of 2011?

zerostatic

Damned in Flames
Nov 13, 2010
Massachusetts
The title says it all. What are your favorites albums that were released this year? I've been cleaning my place and listening to this year's purchases all day and here are my top ten:

1) Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth :worship: What a great album. The vocal are much improved and the guitar riffs and solos are just insane. I have been listening to it constantly since its release.

2) Havok - Time is Up. :kickass:This is a close second..the best American thrash record of the year.

3) Vektor - Outer Isolation :kickass::headbang: Simply Amazing. I love everything about this album. I would love to see them tour with Megadeth or Slayer so they can get exposure to a wider audience.

4) Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder :headbang: Another kickass album. I almost feel like these guys are a local band since I was fortunate enough to see them 3 times in the last year:lol:

5) Krisiun - The Great Execution :headbang: I love the drumming on this album

6) Exhumed -All Guts, No Glory

7) Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich

8) Obscura - Omnivium.

9) Jungle Rot - Kill on Command- I love the way these guys combine Death and Thrash.

10) Sepultura - Kairos. The last three Sepultura albums have been great...not as great as Beneath the Remains or Arise but much better than the crap they released in the mid to late 90s.

Honorable Mentions:Alestorm - Back Through Time(Really catch and fun metal; good music for drinking with friends) Anthrax -Worship Music; Toxic Holocaust - Conjure and Command; Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination; Lazarus A.D. - Black Rivers Flow; Macabre - Grim Scary Tales; Pathology - Awaken to the Suffering; Decapitated - Carnival is Forever

Most disappointing release: Children of Bodom - Relentless, Reckless, Forever -What a load of shit. When I listen to C.O.B. I stick with the first three albums, the rest is garbage.

Best Debut album: Spellcaster-Under the Spell Heard about these guys through a friend so I downloaded the album and was pleasantly surprised that they kick ass! I highly recommend them to anyone who appreciates power metal and traditional heavy metal.

It hasn't been a bumper year for me really but three that stand out are pretty obvious, the same as your top three only in a different order...

1) Vektor - Outer Isolation. I know I can't shut up about it but it's too brilliant for words!
2) Evile - Five Serpents Teeth. Their best so far; achieves the greatness we were all waiting for.
3) Havok - Time Is Up. Aggressive and more diverse than a casual listen would have you think. Quality.

Most disappointing? Metallica, but we all kind of figured it would suck so that wasn't a surprise really. The Megadeth album is more of a disappointment considering how good Endgame was. And the lack of up-tempo songs on the Anthrax album Worship Music meant it got pretty boring pretty quickly for me...

1)Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth
2)Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
3)Vektor - Outer Isolation
4)Havok - Time Is Up
5)Destruction - Day Of Reckoning

Honorable Mentions
Megadeth - Thirteen
Anthrax - Worship Music
(I'm betraying my previous comments and say) Machine Head - Unto The Locust

I wasn't listening to a lot of 2011 metal. Was more focused on other bands...

My number one is definitely Five Serpents Teeth.
Followed closely by Lulu...

Or not..

I can't even remember what has come out this year. I need to get into some of these bands you guys have mentioned.

Th1rt3en maybe for second

Oh, the new Mortal Sin album Psychology of Death deserves a mention, it's pretty excellent actually.

Oh my god, Joe! I can't believe I haven't heard this yet!! ... I'm going to get on it today.

My favourite album of the year's probably the new Megadeth, but I've been kind of been playing catch up for a while... and as most of you will know, I'm totally biased towards Megadeth.

1. Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth

it really took me by surprise one hell of a good Thrash album!! The vocals are hypnotizing, the guitar work is also amazing.

2. Hate Squad - Katharsis

awesome album for sure. Really the best thing if everything's fucked up around you.. worth to check out, if you like a rough mixture of Slayer and early Machine head (Burn my Eyes, The more things Change..) you'll dig it.

3. Anthrax - Worship Music

I was also surprised how good that album is, although not every song is that
great but it really remembers me on their old school stuff like Spreading the disease and Persistence of time.

4. Megadeth - Thirteen

very good too. Needs some further listening sessions to come to a final conclusion.

5. Cavalera Conspiracy - Blunt Force Trauma

I didn't like it at the first listen but after 2 spins I suddenly really digged it. It's surely nothing really special but a solid album.

6. Destruction - Day of Reckoning

Destruction always kills!

That were my most listened this year so far, maybe there are some good albums coming yet.

1 : Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth
2 : Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
3 : Obscura - Omnivium
4 : Anthrax - Worship Music
5 : Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
6 : Onslaught - Sounds of Violence
7 : Warbringer - Worlds Town Asunder
8 : Iced Earth - Dystopia
9 : Opeth - Heritage

Special non-metal mention - blink-182 - Neighborhoods

Biggest surprise - How GOD DAMN GOOD the new blink-182 album is.

Biggest disappointments : Opeth's "Heritage" and Mastodon's "The Hunter". Was really hyped for both of these, but I don't think I've ever been this let down by an album. These two are two of my favorite bands and I can't even bring myself to listen to Heritage all the way through. I listened to The Hunter like three times via youtube, and just wasn't feeling it at all, though that may change when I get around to buying it and listen to it more.

*Note - These ten are the only 2011 albums I have, which is why Vektor and a few others aren't on there.

I'll be doing a rundown of the best albums of the year at Christmas. It's not going to be easy, there'll probably be a tie for the top spot... but for the sake fot he thread, I'll post mine in no particular order.

Onslaught - Sounds of Violence
Skeletonwitch - Foever Abomination
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction/Ghost
Loudblast - Frozen Moments Between Life and Death
Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth
Neuroma - Extremophile
Protector - The Return of Thrash and Madness

apart from Vektor who are my definite #1, these are the serious contenders:

Mastodon - The Hunter
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Riot - Immortal Soul (top form, it's not Thundersteel or Privilege of Power but it's damn close!)
Hell - Human Remains
Machine Head (great but it is not better than The Blackening)
Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
Wolf - Legions of Bastards
Anthrax - Worship Music
Caligula's Horse - Moments from Ephemeral City
Saxon - Call to Arms
The Haunted - Unseen (alt metal flirting with pop at some points, but very well done and very catchy)
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
Fair to Midland - Arrows and Anchors
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
Deceased - Surreal Overdose
Macabre - Grim Scary Tales
Jag Panzer - Scourge of the Light
Satan's Host - By the Hands of the Devil
Havok - Time is Up
Abysmal Dawn - Leveling the Plane of Existence
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Evile - Five Serpents Teeth
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

...and I still need to check out Warbringer, Toxic Holocaust, Destruction, Essence, Leprous, Artillery, Cavalera Conspiracy, Origin and make up my mind about the new Megadeth.

It's been a lot of years since I had trouble making the list because of too many good stuff flowing around.

Was Hell this year? Feels like it's been out longer than that. It's a beast of an album, no doubt. The Wolf album too, I forgot about that one, some of the best straight up heavy metal I've heard in a long time :)

Fen - Epoch
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
Jesu - Ascension
Fen & De Arma - Towards Shores of End
Pale Sketcher - Seventh Heaven
Naisian - Mammalian
40 Watt sun - The Inside Room
Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
Burzum - Valen
Radiohead - King of Limbs
Wormrot - Dirge
Altar of Plagues - Mammal
Primordial - Redemption At The Puritan's Hand
Ulver - War Of The Roses
Soror Dolorosa - Blind Scenes
A Hawk and a Hacksaw - Cervantine
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Still Dreaming
The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - From The Stairwell
Mogwai - Earth Division
Ash Borer - Ash Borer
Vektor - Outer Isolation

i'd say Evile - Five Serpent's Teeth and Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

edit: how can i forget Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising...?