Favorite albums of 2012

Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
Threshold - March of Progress (probably album of the year IMO)

Those two are clear winners, some points to Kreator - Phantom Antichrist and Blind Guardian - Memories of a Time to Come. DTP Epicloud was bit let down, I'm Devin/SYL fan all the way but they all can't be masterpieces... Finnish band Mokoma released just new album, jury is still out with that one.

Some that come to mind:
Melvins - Bulls and the Bees EP
Ahab - The Giant
Brendon Small - Galaktikon
Squarepusher - Ufabulum
Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Âme

There are more, just can't think of them...........

OVERKILL -ELECTRIC AGE
ASPHYX - DEATH HAMMER
ASTRA - THE BLACK CHORD
RUSH - CLOCKWORK ANGELS

not in that order

I'm really hoping to add some more to that list once I have some money, lots of cool albums out now/coming out that I cant get hold of for a little while :cry:

From what I've heard so far (which admittedly isn't all that much) the only albums that really stand out for me are The Electric Age, Phantom Antichrist and Overthrow's Adjust to Darkness.

Sad to say I tend to try and seek out good old albums rather that good new ones...

Great to see Thrashist Regime and Overkill getting the love they deserve. Two ass-kicking thrash albums there.
Not strictly metal I guess, but still heavy in its own way, my favourite of the year is Rush's Clockwork Angels. I reckon it's their masterpiece.

1- Jeff Loomis - Plains of Oblivion
2- Evoken - Atra Mors
3- Ihsahn - Eremita

Dissapointments:
To-Mera - Exile

Have yet to hear:
Burzum - Umskiptar
Ævangelist - De Masticatione Mortuorum in Tumulis

These will definitely make it to the top 20. In the parentheses a song that justifies the position and a good start to check out)

Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre (Rise, Vulcan Spectre)
Totally in love with this old school thrash with lots of interesting flavours and definite personality. For lovers of old school Slayer (83-86, emphasis on Hell Awaits), Darkness descends, Pleasure to Kill, Schizophrenia and the like. Also, I pick up a vibe from early Entombed and Whiplash's Power and Pain. Their 2010 Divinity of Death is also a GREAT album but they really found their voice here.

Deathhammer - Onward to the Pits (Fullmoon Sorcery)
Speed metal, deathrash, some (80s) black, very old school, terrible album cover and it really oozes charm and character, the vocals play a key role to that. Love it to bits.

Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth (Throne of Thorns)
Not a masterpiece but fucking great. Skolnick really shines on this one. And Throne of Thorns IS a masterpiece.

Pharaoh - Bury the Light (The Wolves)
Good, ballsy, non-cheesy power metal. Not their best but solid and very enjoyable.

Heart of Cygnus - The Voyage of Jonas (Isles of Ice)
I can't fathom that this band has no contract. This is their 4th album, another concept and from the name you get the idea: Fans of proto-metal, very early Iron Maiden and of course Rush, Queen (early) and prog rock, should definitely pay attention. I am not a HUGE fan of any of the above (apart from Queen) but this really stole my heart. Great sound and I dig the fact they proudly say they are a metal band. From all the vintage 70s shit that is plaguing the market (Witchcraft, Ghost, Devil's Blood, Graveyard and all that stuff), this is by far the only thing that actually got me hooked.

Bio-Cancer - Ear Piercing Thrash (Spread the Cancer)
Greeks, kids right out of school and the fuckers are rabid. Definitely check this out if you are a fan of the more speedy, raw, Morbid Saint, Sadus kind of thrash. Very catchy. They need some more variety but half the album is great already.

Striker - Armed to the Teeth (Lethal Force)
Canadian old school heavy metal worshippers. The interesting thing about these dudes is that they pick from a lot of sources apart from the obvious ones. They dig US Metal (like Helstar) and german metal like Grave Digger (not the vocals!). Also a healthy dose of hard rock. Overall, it's the songs themselves that make this so catchy and enjoyable.

...and Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix (not metal but I enjoyed the fuck out of it)

Catchy as fuck, amazing vocal performance by Jack Black (seriously) and tons of hooks and adult School of Rock enthusiasm.

The list with potentials is very long at the moment:
Candlemass, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Overkill, Kreator, Accept, Orange Goblin, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Tantara, Thrashist Regime, Hexen, Angel Witch, Trail of Murder (still fresh and still not sure what I think - this interests me as it features the two main songwriters of Tad Morose and of course Urban Breed on vocals), Gojira, Headspace, Slingblade, Tankard, Black Pyramid. And more.

Yeah, Lich King was good. My only problem was that the seriously great cover of Agents of Steel is by far the best moment on the album. Which highlights the difference between good songwriting and GREAT songwriting. New thrash, which has produced so many similar sounding bands, really needs *great* songwriting.

Good album though. I should add it to the list of potentials.

Deathhammer - Onward to the Pits (Fullmoon Sorcery)
Speed metal, deathrash, some (80s) black, very old school, terrible album cover and it really oozes charm and character, the vocals play a key role to that. Love it to bits.

I'll have to check this out, I've always enjoyed them. Got to get round to listening to the new Angel Witch too...

Yeah, Lich King was good. My only problem was that the seriously great cover of Agents of Steel is by far the best moment on the album. Which highlights the difference between good songwriting and GREAT songwriting. New thrash, which has produced so many similar sounding bands, really needs *great* songwriting.

That's one thing though, I don't think you should expect Lich King to produce an album with mindblowing songwriting. They said themselves they don't want to change anything, and to me seems like they just want to stick with 80s-esque thrash. I don't mind it though, considering they're doing a fantastic job of it.

...a much better fucking improvement over TZO and Necromantic Maelstorm...

To be fair, I've never considered Lich King to be anything more than an average and very generic band... though done kinda well in places.

Fun fact: In retaliation to the song 'Black Metal Sucks', Lord Vermintide of Vindicator UK wishes to release a song entitled 'Lich King Sucks'. Just because.

To be fair, I've never considered Lich King to be anything more than an average and very generic band... though done kinda well in places.

That's why they'll never get too far with many others. Too novelty.

Fun fact: In retaliation to the song 'Black Metal Sucks', Lord Vermintide of Vindicator UK wishes to release a song entitled 'Lich King Sucks'. Just because.

Verm's mad. This is funny. :lol: