Favorite albums of 2012

zerostatic

Damned in Flames
Nov 13, 2010
Massachusetts
Been a good year for metal, what are your favorite albums thus far? Also, any killer releases in the upcoming months that I should look forward to?

My favorite albums that have been released this year are the following:

1) Testament - Dark Roots of Earth. I am really impressed with this album. Favorite songs are A Day in the Death, Throne of Thorns and Last Stand for Independence. The bonus tracks are also a nice treat.

2) Cannibal Corpse - Torture. Another brutal album from CC. Nothing new here, but it works and sounds great.

3) Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity. Saw these guys live a few months ago and they put on a really intense, heavy show. The album is also very brutal with some crazy vocals.

4) Huntress - Spelleater. Traditional heavy metal with a female vocalist. I have seen them twice this year and I am really enjoying this album. I have heard complaints about the vocals but I love this vocal style.

5) Meshuggah - Koloss. Fun to listen to with catchy grooves and amazing technical playing. One thing that helps Meshuggah rise above the crowd of imitators and copycats is that for the most part it is always about the song and setting the groove.

Honorable Mentions: Bonded by Blood - The Aftermath, Overkill - The Electric Age, Kreator - Phantom Antichrist, Hour of Penance - Sedition, Municipal Waste - The Fatal Feast. Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme. Goatwhore - Blood for the Master

I've only just started getting back into Metal so not a massive list (as not much to compare against) but definitely feeling the Testament 'Dark Roots of Earth'.

Also gonna say Evile's latest album (even though it came out last year) as I only discovered them a few weeks back, and man... I'm fucking HOOKED!

This thread already? Huh. Wasn't expecting this until November or something.

1) Kreator - Phantom Antichrist

2) Overkill - The Electric Age

3) Thrashist Regime - Fearful Symmetry

4) Angelus Apatrida - The Call

5) Three Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal

I know the first two are obvious calls. Don't judge me! :lol:

Notable Albums:
Jeff Loomis - Plains of Oblivion
Korpiklaani - Manala
Suicidal Angels - Bloodbath

To Be Released:
Devin Townsend - Epicloud

Haven't Checked Out Yet:
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata
Grave - Endless Procession of Souls
Eluveitie - Helvetios
Titans Eve - Life Apocalypse
Prong - Carved Into Stone
Woods Of Ypres - Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light
Testament - Dark Roots of Earth

Probably Won't:
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (most likely won't listen to this - damn it Portnoy)
Lamb Of God - Resolution
Aura Noir - Out To Die
Meshuggah - Koloss

As you can see, I've got a lot on my plate to check out. Especially the DSO, Grave, and Titans Eve albums. Will update this list again later on this year.

Don't do that to yourself. Check out A Dramatic Turn of Events now.

I only have a few new releases from this year.
(Listed from best to worst)

Thrashist Regime - Fearful Symmetry
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
Nile - At the Gate of Sethu
Overkill - The Electric Age
Lamb of God - Resolution
Municipal Waste - The Fatal Feast
Ihsahn - Eremita

Not metal :
Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises
Alan Silvestri - The Avengers

Haven't checked out :

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
Bonded by Blood - The Aftermath
Two or three other albums whose names escape me.

Coming soon :

Devin Townsend - Epicloud

When it comes to that whole situation, just bury your head in the sand and ignore it like I do. It helps alot.

Already? Well, I might do a more in depth list sometime later but for now I'll leave some names: Overkill, Kreator, Gojira, Testament, Paradise Lost, etc, etc.

My favourites have pretty much been covered already. In no particular order; Dark roots of Earth, Fearful Symmetry, Phantom Antichrist, The Fatal Feast and Torture are probably the top 5. I wasn't all that impressed with The Electric Age tbh.

okay I'll list some:
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist: was very cool at first but then fuckin bored me after a few spins. I'll give that album a chance in a few months again or so.

Saint Vitus - Lillie F-65: very impressive Doom Metal album though it can't really compete with their older stuff.

Haven't bought and listened to in full:
Overkill - The Electric Age

still maybe buy that album anytime in the Jewelcase Edition.

still waiting for:
DESTRUCTION - Spiritual Genocide

can't fuckin wait to check out that album!! :kickass:

I really can agree with the opinion that this year was a pretty shit year for Metal anyway, music scene nowadays bores me to hell - except of a few bands.

Thanks for the Thrashist love :) Glad someone somewhere is listening to it!

Personally I love the new Kreator, it's thoroughly ace. I like the Testament album a lot too. And Grand Magus's The Hunt, I've listened to that an absolute shitload!

After listening to Epicloud a bunch, I can safely say it's my favorite. By a wide margin. Sorry Joe!