Favorite and Least Favorite Vocalists?

Please tell me you've heard his other work. If not, you're in for a real treat.

No.... i haven't heard his other work and I don't know if I would because in order for me to buy any CD I would have to like the music overall and not just the vocals... but give me a clip from Youtube of his other work...

Shagrath actually is good... Attila on the other hand is god damn awful... easily the worst vocalist i ever heard... he is the low point of Mayhem's DMDS... wish Dead had recorded the vocals for that album instead...

Me too, but then I would never have been exposed to Attila at all. I respect him for having such a vocal style in a genre that has Burzum/Darkthrone clones running rampant.

Shagrath actually is good... Attila on the other hand is god damn awful... easily the worst vocalist i ever heard... he is the low point of Mayhem's DMDS... wish Dead had recorded the vocals for that album instead...
I wish Dead had too, Attila's the reason I never bought Dem Mysteriis, I can't get into his vocals, Maniac sounds like a lesser version of Varg Vikernes to me. The music I've heard on Dem Mysteriis is very good though.

I wish Dead had too, Attila's the reason I never bought Dem Mysteriis, I can't get into his vocals, Maniac sounds like a lesser version of Varg Vikernes to me. The music I've heard on Dem Mysteriis is very good though.

It's an excellent album actually... a grower for sure and after a while you can sort of tune out Attila's babbling.

Jonas Renkse from Katatonia has a beautiful melancholic voice so he's one of my favourites.
Mikko Kotamäki from Swallow the Sun owns an amazing growl and a good clean voice too. :)
Aleksi Ahokas(FragileHollow, Rain Paint...)is very good too.
...and then there are people like Johnny Cash, Ville Valo, Jeff Buckley, Bruce Dickinson, Danny Cavanagh.

No.... i haven't heard his other work and I don't know if I would because in order for me to buy any CD I would have to like the music overall and not just the vocals... but give me a clip from Youtube of his other work...

Video for Borknagar's song "Colossus" off the album Quintessence:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and so do a lot of people who don't go for the high-pitched cleans. Mainly all the anti-powermetallers.
I admit, I dislike the vast majority of power metal vocals. But I am fully aware that this is just a matter of personal preference. And I generally perefer harsh vocals to clean vocals, but that's just because I'm an extreme-metal head.

I'm surprised that no one has jumped on me yet for putting Dio down for least favorite vocalists. hehehe But I'm 100% serious, I hate his vocals.

I was going to say something. Dio sounds old school and very good. I never thought of his vocals being high pitched or annoying like say power metal bands.

Faves:

Mike Patton (FNM, Fantomas, Mr Bungle, Tomahawk, etc)
Tom Araya (Slayer)
John Tardy (Obituary)
Maynard James Keenan (Tool)
Bon Scott (AC/DC)
Layne Staley (Alice In Chains)
Jeff Buckley
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Least faves:

James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Ben Lee :p

You've got it all mixed up. Shagrath sounds like a fucking frog, Attila sounds like a possessed person rantin' the words the demon inside of him is forcing him to say. He is fuckin' great - the ultimate BM vocalist in terms of creating an atmosphere. :oops:

Anyways:

Favorites:
Daniel Gildenlow
Alan Averill Nemtheanga
Mike Scalzi
Devin Townsend

Least:
James LaBrie
Dani Filth
Chris Barnes
The Into Eternity Barber Shop Quartet