Favorite Jon Artch-era Fates Warning release

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
With several FW fans still yearning for the classic Fates Warning vibe more than that found on their recent material, I'm wondering how FW fans would rank the 3 albums with John on vocals?. Here's my order:

1.) Awaken the Guardian (very easily)
2.) The Spectre Within
3.) Night on Brocken

Not suprisingly, most serious musicians challenge themselves to grow and get better with each subsequent release and I believe that is true with Fates Warning.

I actually have been listening to Night on Broken a lot lately. I would have to say Awaken the guardian, then Night on broken ,then the spectre within

The Fiddler said:
With several FW fans still yearning for the classic Fates Warning vibe more than that found on their recent material, I'm wondering how FW fans would rank the 3 albums with John on vocals?. Here's my order:

1.) Awaken the Guardian (very easily)
2.) The Spectre Within
3.) Night on Brocken

Not suprisingly, most serious musicians challenge themselves to grow and get better with each subsequent release and I believe that is true with Fates Warning.

You nailed it!

ITs all about the Apparition and Epitaph! Two of their best songs ever! again, this last album is :yuk:

lunatic :headbang:

Okey-dokey,
Here's my list:
1) The Spectre Within--The birth of progressive metal. Without this album, the genre of music I love most wouldn't exist.
2) Awaken The Guardian--Though this album took things a step further, it couldn't have been made without The Spectre Within preceding it.
3)Night On Brocken--Though this makes the last on my list, it's kind of like scoring with the last place model in a Playboy competition. A fist-pumping good time.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Awaken the Guardian is simply one of the best albums EVER released. It stands the test of time today. There is no mimic out there. You cannot find another album and say "this TRULY sounds like Awaken the Guardian." Its just not possible. Fates Warning broke the mold with that release. Spectre Within was great too. Night on Brocken has its moments but is really raw.

Now FWX is the 2nd best release with Ray Alder with No Exit, of course, being the best, followed by Perfect Symmetry, Parallels and APSOG. The rest are just ok.

fatesmiles said:
Awaken the Guardian is simply one of the best albums EVER released. It stands the test of time today. There is no mimic out there. You cannot find another album and say "this TRULY sounds like Awaken the Guardian." Its just not possible.

Very good point!