favorite non big brand name guitar

Peavey. They have some pretty nice guitars on their upper end line. I bought a brand new Peavey Vandenberg in 1991 and I still on it and play it, though it's not my "workhorse." It's also 100% original less the neck rail pickup I replaced with a strat-type single coil. The rail was simply too hot to get a good clean tone out of (as I use the neck pickup exclusively for a clean tone.) I was at a local music store that carries Peavey about two months ago and they still make some sweet guitars in the $500-$600 range. Their "V-Type USA" is basically a Vandenberg, and it rocks, as does the "Cropper Classic" if you are looking for one with a more "classic styling and no tremola.
I would put the V-Type up against any respectable Ibanez (and I am an Ibanez fan as my workhorse guitar is one) as far as tone, neck speed and feel.

Bryant

forest of october said:
Godin.
Only made in Quebec.

A guitarist in a local band here in Brisbane Australia uses one of these. I tried one at a music shop a mate of mine works at and thought them to be a great playing guitar.

But at the moment I use and abuse Epiphone. Great and affordable.