favorite Opeth riff

We had one of these before and I said that part on Forest of October at 6:33 when Mikael just does that lead break and then the rest of the band slowly come in. Aside from that I have to go with the 'Run Away' part of Demon of the Fall and anything beyond that. Also at 8:55 on The Night And The Silent Water... the guitars just go off, I love that bit.

Mine is from "Dirge for November". When the distorted guitars come in they play a basic riff and then it changes into this divine riff with lead guitar. Probably the metal song that comes closest to giving me the chills! Sad and beatiful :cry: :cry:
Besides that I'd go for "Bleak". I haven't got the timing as I have the LP, but it's the one where Mikael sings "Devious movements in your eyes - Moved me from relief".
These two riffs are not only among the best metal riffs I've ever heard, they're among the best riffs I've EVER heard!
:worship:

The first riff of "April Ethereal" is pretty great, it just beats you around the head!, also some riffs from "The Moor" and "Serenity Painted Death" are great.

There's too many to pick a favourite!

Man, I'm surprised more people are not mentioning Black Rose Immortal - which happens to be my favourite Opeth song. Too many great melodies in this masterful song, but the two that really gave me the chills were during these parts:
When you first hear the water and the acoustic guitar comes in followed by a distorted guitar sounding the same melody, and then the flawless vocals ("over troubled waters, memories soar...searching, endlessly night and day") - I don't think a song has ever impressed me this much. Also during the part when he sings, "sunbirds, leave their dark recesses...shadows glid the archways" and the rest of that part. Incredible melody....simply unbelievable acoustic work indeed. It cannot be put into words how amazing I think this song is.

Man, all in all, there are too many amazing riffs considering the sheer size of Opeth's incredible song line up - :D heck, that would be pretty much all of them!

I agree with many on the riff in "Demon of the Fall" (at "run away, run away" 'till the end of the song.) Man, I loved it so much that I just wish Mikael stayed a tad bit longer during the acoustic closure to the song - damn, did that ever give me the chills! Fantastic regardless, however!

Also, the acoustic solo in "The Amen Corner" at around 3 min. into the song or so - an absolutely stunning melody!

I must not forget about the whole 3 min. intro to "A bid you farewell" - once again, stunning!

Dammit, i have spoke far too many words already - :) I guess that's Opeth for ya! Fantastic band.

Originally posted by Alcapoth
Man, I'm surprised more people are not mentioning Black Rose Immortal
Well, I was just about to, this song contains some of my fave parts! I really love that part that starts 6:02 into the song and ends at 7:22, those melodies are just utterly amazing... One of my absolute fave Opeth moments! :worship:
Originally posted by Opethfan1980
I LOVE the opening riff for "Night and the Silent Water"
Yeah, that's friggin' great! So is the melody that follows after the break, when the first vocals enter...

The beginning of "Nectar" is mesmerizing too... and what about the whole "To Bid You Farewell" track..? The whole album is just huge!!! :worship: :worship:
Originally posted by Jayde
The very beggining of Bleak. I loooove that riff.
Yeah! That part rocks hard! :headbang: