Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Adaptability

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Fountainhead

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Moving Spirit

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
I stick to what I said - those songs are not better tha the originals, and the entire thing is a rather loveless affair (cover, layout). Yeah, and the label "invited" them all. Of course, they freely came together on their own expense, especially Sebastian Bach, who is not only known for his being heavily influenced by Rush's music, but also for his charitable character that neverasks for many (ask Henning Pauly of Frameshift...)...

hope you see the tongue in my cheek here.

To end this pointless thingy: why listen to a 100 percent copy when you can have the originals?:D

I agree with you when it comes to INTERPRETING (what would Jazz be without it?), but not if it is an identical COPY.

Do you buy a book twice because the new edition has a new envelope?
Do you want anybody to paint a second Mona Lisa.

To round this off, I for myself save the money and get something genuine instead - there's so much undiscovered by me, I am sure, that would please me musically and be worth my attention.

Tribute albums do not cut it for me - simple as that; nor do labels that promote these things, nor do smug musicians that scream "look, we can do that, too!" (which would be the case with - say - a SA tribute band)

As an aside: Rush's feedback EP also stuck closely to the originals. But there, you don't have the original artists around today anymore, and it is plain audible that Rush had fun doing this and paid hommage to their influences - as some of the hired guns on the "Working Man"-CD surely did not.

Another example: Dave Lombardo playing drums on a Metallica-Tribute ("Battery): does that make sense, is this honest?

Okay, I'm going too far, but I'm pretty keen on integrity in music...

Occam's Razor said:
I agree with you when it comes to INTERPRETING (what would Jazz be without it?), but not if it is an identical COPY.

Do you buy a book twice because the new edition has a new envelope?
Do you want anybody to paint a second Mona Lisa.

To round this off, I for myself save the money and get something genuine instead - there's so much undiscovered by me, I am sure, that would please me musically and be worth my attention.

Tribute albums do not cut it for me - simple as that; nor do labels that promote these things, nor do smug musicians that scream "look, we can do that, too!" (which would be the case with - say - a SA tribute band)

As an aside: Rush's feedback EP also stuck closely to the originals. But there, you don't have the original artists around today anymore, and it is plain audible that Rush had fun doing this and paid hommage to their influences - as some of the hired guns on the "Working Man"-CD surely did not.

Another example: Dave Lombardo playing drums on a Metallica-Tribute ("Battery): does that make sense, is this honest?

Okay, I'm going too far, but I'm pretty keen on integrity in music...

Dude... you are so full of shit !!! you don't know good music if it hit you on the head !! i mean, you don't really have to nag about the fact that the musicians who worked on "Working Man" can play Rush's music better than Rush can, eventhough rush wrote these songs... i mean Metallica did the Garage Inc. thing... they played the same songs that were played before, without changing anything (almost)... and they ALL sounded better than the original ones !!! right?? besides... how the hell do you know if the musicians really enjoyed recording this tribute album?? where you there with them in the studio when they recorded the album?? I know for a fact that atleast 50% of the musicians involved consider "Rush" as a role model, musically... so they'd be honored to do it whether they were paid for it or not. And the rest were asked to take part in this because "Magna Carta" saw it fit for them to be part of this wonderful experience.
besides... the songs are not exactly the same, like you so said.... and if you think they are, then you definately need to see a Doctor...fast!!! I mean, they might have not changed the integrity of Rush's music, but they sure as hell added their own vibe, as musicians, to each and every song... be honest... do you think Rush's Natural Science or YYZ sound exactly the same as the one's on the tribute!!! if you plan to say YES... i suggest you go take a nose dive down a 30-story building... after you've seen your shrink!! LOL ... no hard feelings man... i know that every person has his own view on things... that's why music is so contraversial... each person thinks differently about it... and i respect your opinion... but i feel like you're coming from a place where "Rush" to you is on a pedestal way up high, and anyone trying to impersonate it will fall !!! be objective :) and believe me... when i say these guys did the tribute better than Rush played their own music... this by no way means Lee, Lifeson, and Peart are not good.... on the contrary.... they are top notch musicians that created some of the most colorful music (A phenomena for their own time)... but this does not mean we stop at where Rush reached... it's time to move on... expand your horizons man... seriously (if you really really like "A Sceptic's Universe" and you truely appreciate Prog Metal of today... like Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Andromeda..... ), then there's no way in hell you'll think "Working Man" is a worthless rip-off !!! listen to it again.... compare it with the original material... and if you truely appreciate guitarists like Romeo, Murphy, Petrucci, and Allman... you will see the gem in this album and you'll appreciate it as much as i do :) ... and if not... than that is your opinion, and i respect it regardless

You fail to understand that playing someone else's song, doesnt mean that you can reproduce the FEELING or the EMOTIONS of the original, despite all the accuracy on playing. Since Rush (and music in general) is a lot more than putting your fingers on the right place on your guitar, then you shouldnt even dare to say "the bands in Working Man played the songs better than Rush". "Re-playing" doesnt mean anything and its not such a special thing to be admired, although of course it can be fun if done the right way.

As long as (most) prog bands continue to play music based on Rush structures/melodies/riffs/song development, then yes Rush are on "a pedestal way up high". A very few have gone beyond that (Psychotic Waltz for example).

IOfTheStorm said:
As long as (most) prog bands continue to play music based on Rush structures/melodies/riffs/song development, then yes Rush are on "a pedestal way up high". A very few have gone beyond that (Psychotic Waltz for example).

you don't seem to get it !!! irregardless... the fact is... these great prog bands may use "Rush" as a reference, but do they sound anything like "Rush"??? hell no... they took this step and moved further and pushed their music to a level much higher than rush could have ever dreamed to reach or attain. Do you even dare to say that Symphony X (strucuturally & Musically) sound anything like Rush??? same goes for Andromeda, Shadow Gallery... and even Dream Theater.... does Spiral Architect sound ANYTHING like "rush"?? please don't say yes... you might as well shut-up and preserve your pride and integrity!!! see all these bands... these great bands use the older legendary bands as a reference and move on... (every musician has to have a person/band that he's inspired by musically to progress and create his own music). I mean if we're only supposed to worship "Rush" for creating the prog genre, then we might as well only thank 2 people/bands through which all other bands were inspired/formed/ and transformed: 1) Jimi Hendrix for changing the whole concept of using the electric guitar... and 2) the Beatles, for creating something that we all now know as a "rock band"... before them, nothing like that existed... so if we should only put "Rush" on a pedestal for creating this genre and consider all else as followers of this movement, then we might as well ONLY put Jimi and Beatles on a pedestal and forget about all the rest !!!! does this fit in any way to you??? :err:

IOfTheStorm said:
You fail to understand that playing someone else's song, doesnt mean that you can reproduce the FEELING or the EMOTIONS of the original, despite all the accuracy on playing.

well it seems that you fail to understand that there can't possibly be emotions involved in such an album... when there is no creative inspiration in an album, there definately won't be any emotions involved...and this is due to the fact that these musicians are not writing new material using their creativity and emotions (these songs have already been written by "Rush"). These guys are merely giving the already famous songs a new flavor...same songs except for some cool lead and solo twists... the musicians' aim was not to create an inspirational masterpiece... their purpose was to re-create the "Rush" aura with a prog-metal related feel... so tell me...how do you expect to see any emotions in an album like this... an album who's only aim is to perpetuate a living legend, that being Rush ofcourse?? :err:

Mr. "in-the-dark-about-it-all"-Lord, you should watch the tone in which you speak to people here, so if you get personal, I can, too.
I don't know if Magna Carta CDs have different music on them in your country, or if your favourite file-sharing software altered the Rush-tribute for you in any way towards something better, but:

The album to me is sterile sounding, cheaply packaged (as often on this label) and no - the musicians don't play better than the glorious maple-leaf.

Another thing: it was surely a joke saying that Metallica's Garage Inc. songs all surpass the originals - ever heard a Queen-/Lizzy-/Mercyful fate-record? - Just comparing the singers with "Jaymz" will do...

I guess you are "not oblivious" about talking crap?:cool:

Go get a life...

Oh my, Mr. Razor just came out of his shell... oooh i'm sooo scared !!!
Occam's Razor said:
if you get personal, I can, too.
Dude, i'm shaking !!! hehe... don't try this crap with me kiddo... if you know too little about music, don't try preaching your shit to us.
have i ever heard a Queen-/Lizzy-/Mercyful fate-record? is that a rhetorical question ?? you say this like you know me... like you'd think i discovered something called music a couple of days ago... atleast when you say something, back it up... not just say it for the sake of trying to show that you know a thing or two, while in reality, you're looking like a total buffoon !!! for example:
Occam's Razor said:
Just comparing the singers with "Jaymz" will do...
when the bloody hell did you see me in this thread mentioning ANYTHING about vocals ?? all this time, i was refering to the music... and if you seriously think that Queen's Stone Cold Crazy, or Thin Lizzy's Whisky in the Jar (music wise) in any way is of superior quality or better, more aggressive sound... then you already know what to do... i explained that to you in post #45 !!!

Occam's Razor said:
I don't know if Magna Carta CDs have different music on them in your country
and you better stop that degrading cultural crap you mentioned earlier... trying to make fun of other people's culture or religion or country without knowing anything about it shows what kind of a weak and idiotic person you really are... so go back to that little shithole in South-West Germany... and stay there !!

***you might as well stop this bickering because you're not going to get anywhere with it... so let's end this for once and for all... and if you plan to rebuttle in a similar rude way, i suggest you don't bother because i'm not going to waste my time answering you !!

In conclusion... as i already explained to you... music is a matter of taste... you may prefer the original Rush recordings, and i prefer the new versions made for the tribute... this is what makes every person different... believe me when i say this... i do respect your position in prefering the actual recordings... but you have to tolerate and accept that other people might prefer things differently... it's not a Tyranny man... Hitler's dead... no offense intended here... if any is taken ofcourse !!

Etter said:
there are alot of britney spears fans over the world :Spin:

this is something that definately gets all of us irritated :loco: !!! by us, i mean the people who listen to prog music and understand the beauty and creativity of this genre... how could people find the likes of Britney Spears as an inspirational musical figure... baffling question, eh??? :err:

nicosanchez said:
At least she's hot:D , I enjoy her videos :loco: (muting the tv, of course;) ).

hehehe... good point... and yes.. muting definately helps... cause you can't deny the fact that she's really hot... but she's a little too fake... alot of surgery made her what she is now... but does that really matter?? what matters is that she's HOT !!! :D

Dark Lord said:
Oh my, Mr. Razor just came out of his shell... oooh i'm sooo scared !!!

Dude, i'm shaking !!! hehe... don't try this crap with me kiddo... if you know too little about music, don't try preaching your shit to us.
have i ever heard a Queen-/Lizzy-/Mercyful fate-record? is that a rhetorical question ?? you say this like you know me... like you'd think i discovered something called music a couple of days ago... atleast when you say something, back it up... not just say it for the sake of trying to show that you know a thing or two, while in reality, you're looking like a total buffoon !!! for example:

when the bloody hell did you see me in this thread mentioning ANYTHING about vocals ?? all this time, i was refering to the music... and if you seriously think that Queen's Stone Cold Crazy, or Thin Lizzy's Whisky in the Jar (music wise) in any way is of superior quality or better, more aggressive sound... then you already know what to do... i explained that to you in post #45 !!!

and you better stop that degrading cultural crap you mentioned earlier... trying to make fun of other people's culture or religion or country without knowing anything about it shows what kind of a weak and idiotic person you really are... so go back to that little shithole in South-West Germany... and stay there !!

***you might as well stop this bickering because you're not going to get anywhere with it... so let's end this for once and for all... and if you plan to rebuttle in a similar rude way, i suggest you don't bother because i'm not going to waste my time answering you !!

In conclusion... as i already explained to you... music is a matter of taste... you may prefer the original Rush recordings, and i prefer the new versions made for the tribute... this is what makes every person different... believe me when i say this... i do respect your position in prefering the actual recordings... but you have to tolerate and accept that other people might prefer things differently... it's not a Tyranny man... Hitler's dead... no offense intended here... if any is taken ofcourse !!

Dark Lord - consider this a polite and friendly hint: Relax.

I hope a longer fuse is on your wish list for christmas.

- Asgeir (= forum admin)

Dark Lord said:
this is something that definately gets all of us irritated :loco: !!! by us, i mean the people who listen to prog music and understand the beauty and creativity of this genre... how could people find the likes of Britney Spears as an inspirational musical figure... baffling question, eh??? :err:

that was also my point, everybody likes something else and there is no best or better, only for one self there is a best.