Favorite Tom mics other then 421's - Discuss

Which of these mics would you guys recommend for a tight budget? Once I get my kick, snare, and OHs set up, the only mics I have to spair are an mxl990, an AT2050, and a set of cheapo cad drum mics. I would love to get some decent tom mics and then leave the 990 and 2050 for room mics.

Right now the tsm411 is pretty high on my list. Maybe another i5 as well.

I like 57s as many have said on hi toms, but on my low tom I use a Beta 52. Sounds pretty cool IMO.

Am I the only one who likes SM57 on floor tom (16")? It sits perfect with a slight eq bump in the lower end. I always come back to it. I also like my d112 but when the rest of the toms are miked with 57's i like the uniform sound of all mics being the same for some reason. I don't miss the extra little bit of low end of the d112, i don't feel i need it come mix time. I also think that a lot of the time when talking tom mics it should be about how they co exist with the overheads. Close mic options would change if overheads change. It's the combo between the mics.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Everyone!

Am I the only one who likes SM57 on floor tom (16")? It sits perfect with a slight eq bump in the lower end. I always come back to it.

Studdy, I agree with you completely on the 57 on a floor. Play up the proximity effect or EQ it for low-end. It totally does work (though I never liked Shure's rim mounts for it compared to the e604 mounts - those are the best ones).

Plus, isn't a lot of the real depth and power from toms coming from overheads and/or rooms? I always found the best pure tom sound comes from those first, then whatever close mic you throw at it.

I always find spill from cymbals a problem with 421s.
I use AKG D440 and am happy.
I used to have an ATM25 that sounded amazing on floor tom but it has stopped working :-(
I have a pair of ATM450s that I use for overheads.
Superb little mic and great value.
Haven't used them on toms but they sound great on anything.
ORFT in front of an acoustic :)
I also have 1 M201 that goes snare top.
I would love 10 of them. amazing mic.

I hate all drum rim clip styles. The mic picks up the vibration of the shell. I always use mic stands.

I hate all drum rim clip styles. The mic picks up the vibration of the shell. I always use mic stands.

Agreed again. I guess I was thinking more for live and non-critical mic'ing situations that I like the e604 style clips.

Very true that the vibrations travel through the clips, no matter which ones.

Just grabbed a D4 for myself, should be here in a couple days. I'll try to make some clips.

I love my little D2 though, even on low toms. It's got a lot of mid bass oomph for such a small little package. I hear the D4 is the same size but the diaphragms really hold their own over each other in low end extension.

Conversely, I hate the way a D6 sounds lately. All fat, undefined ass and not enough booty. I like some bounce, yaknowimsaying.

Unpopular opinion, I don't like 421's on like.... anything. Rack toms come off tinny and the bleed rejection isn't that great, on cabs they just sound kind of weak but rule as a blend mic, bigger toms don't hit like they do in the room.

Have successfully used an e609 on rack toms. Would rather use another D2 in all honestly.

Only ever used e604 and 421 on rack toms, 604 absolutely destroys the 421, rejection, handles eq much better (and needs less eq doing to it). D112 vs RE20 floor tom, RE20 for faster songs/softer hitters, 112 for big bad toms haha.

Would like to try audix d2/d4/d6 stuff, as well as all this ATM hype.

I hate single 57's on everything except snare bottom, HATE.

Unpopular opinion, I don't like 421's on like.... anything. Rack toms come off tinny and the bleed rejection isn't that great, on cabs they just sound kind of weak but rule as a blend mic, bigger toms don't hit like they do in the room.

Me and the toms on Doomsday Machine disagree with you.

But in all honesty, the tuning and the drummer really make the most difference with toms. I'd like to give the d2/d4 another go. But I bought ATM25's for tom/ kick use, and have been using either them or 421's.

I do love to mic the bottom head on toms if given the chance.

I've found the D4 to be oddly bloated and cardboardy compared to the D2 on racks and the D6 on floors.

421s placed correctly really have never sounded anything but good to me; I'd be willing to be that was your issue. I like them best almost straight down at the edge, almost a 90º angle to the skin.

I've found the D4 to be oddly bloated and cardboardy compared to the D2 on racks and the D6 on floors.

421s placed correctly really have never sounded anything but good to me; I'd be willing to be that was your issue. I like them best almost straight down at the edge, almost a 90º angle to the skin.

Too bad they're so big and it's almost impossible to place them that way on many drummers setups. Precisely why I bought the ATM25's, because with a 90 degree cable they have a much smaller profile and can sneak under some cymbals.

^although, if you can't fit 421s on toms because of the cymbals, you'll most likely have to fight cymbal bleed with every mic you'll use on toms...

Tiger Lily was like that, damn near 90 degrees at the edge. I spent a good deal of time tuning those drums so I probably just suck with 421's. I would never ever put a D6 on a floor tom, no matter how much I hated the overtones. That mic just has so much nothing in the mids.