Favourite Band

Funny you mention Therion. Just earlier today I listened to them, more specifically this song:

It's quite different from the other songs on this album. Even the anti-Gothic Kabbalah Therion fans enjoy this. It's like their Octavarium or some shit.

I guess I'm a Therion fan overall. I like most of their stuff, and I think some of it is brilliant (like the song above).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only listened to 3 of their albums: Lemuria, Sirius B, and Gothic Kabbalah. My favorite among them is Sirius B.

Funny you mention Therion. Just earlier today I listened to them, more specifically this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGLDgXfuoPI

It's quite different from the other songs on this album. Even the anti-Gothic Kabbalah Therion fans enjoy this. It's like their Octavarium or some shit.

I guess I'm a Therion fan overall. I like most of their stuff, and I think some of it is brilliant (like the song above).

Hmm. Overall, I do like Gothic Kabbalah. There are a few tracks that I always skip. Do a lot of their fans not like that album?

zzzzzz.

A band that had cool possibilities, but fell into the crevasse of cliche. Also mega-boring live. It was a festival, so I didn't feel like I paid for nothing since I enjoyed most of the other bands.

From what I've heard, they do seem interesting, but I haven't heard any of their earlier work. So I guess because I've only listened to a few albums, I haven't gotten to see the "fall into the crevasse of cliche." I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but I can totally see how they wouldn't be that fun to see live.

Lepond's New Year’s Resolution for 2012:
"My New Year's Metal Resolution for 2012 is to finally record a solo CD in between all the Symphony X touring we will do this year."

Detective is going to shit his ass.

:lol:

This is indeed awesome news! I find it pretty awesome that he wants to do a solo album! I wonder what it will sound like, and who will sing on it (if it's not instrumental, which I kind of hope it is).

I personally prefer Lemuria to Sirius B (they were released at the same time); Typhon, Lemuria and An Arrow from the Sun are the better songs, with only Son of the Sun standing out from Sirius B. For that more symphonyic non-power metalish stuff, I personally think Vovin offers far better songs than both Lemuria and Sirius B. Vovin to me is the trademark Therion sound, with basically every other album being different (more or less symphonic, more or less power metalish, more or less experimental) but having at least one track being Vovin'ish (in the case of Deggial, Sirius B and Lemuria - quite a few, Gothic Kabbalah - The Wand of Abaris, Alduruna Rediviva, and Sitra Ahra - Kings of Edom, 2012, After the Inquisition).
I like pretty much their entire discography. Not really a favorite band of mine, but one I can easily return to and listen through a few albums.

Theocracy
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Van Canto
Within Temptation

In that order, even. I never seem to have my lists in order...

I could never get into Within Temptation. Also, it seems like a lot of the female fronted bands are really popular, for example, Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc.

As far as I know, you just listed all the truly popular female fronted metal bands so actually there are way less popular female fronted metal bands than just popular metal bands.

Yep, I did! Hahaha well I guess my question is kind of pointless then. Why are all the bands that are popular, popular? Because.

The answer is boobs. It probably has very little to do with musical content, or Epica would not be nearly as popular as they are. Nor Nightwish, nor Within Temptation.

I could never get into Within Temptation. Also, it seems like a lot of the female fronted bands are really popular, for example, Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc.

I cannot find anything especial about female-fronted bands. Within Temptation, for example, have two or three good songs, and that's all.

The answer is boobs. It probably has very little to do with musical content, or Epica would not be nearly as popular as they are. Nor Nightwish, nor Within Temptation.

I find this to be the most logical explanation. The overly male metal fan base is easily distracted by boobs, and many female metal fans may respect these vocalists for fronting a band in a genre of music typically fronted by males.

I enjoy a few female-fronted metal bands, but after a while it all starts to sound the same.

I'm not a fan of Nightwish, but I still wouldn't lump them in with bands like Within Temptation and such. I think they deserve a bit more than that. There's a lot of talent in Nightwish and I think a fan of theirs would be justified in throwing a tantrum over your view on the value of their "musical content". Plus they have a badass male vocalist as well.