Favourite Band

I didn't realize we were talking about metal specifically. My bad. I assumed we were just talking about bands that are good...
v
As far as I know, you just listed all the truly popular female fronted metal bands so actually there are way less popular female fronted metal bands than just popular metal bands.
v
I find this to be the most logical explanation. The overly male metal fan base is easily distracted by boobs, and many female metal fans may respect these vocalists for fronting a band in a genre of music typically fronted by males.

I enjoy a few female-fronted metal bands, but after a while it all starts to sound the same.

I'm not a fan of Nightwish, but I still wouldn't lump them in with bands like Within Temptation and such. I think they deserve a bit more than that. There's a lot of talent in Nightwish and I think a fan of theirs would be justified in throwing a tantrum over your view on the value of their "musical content". Plus they have a badass male vocalist as well.

Honestly, I'd rate them lower than the others. Nightwish is the Stephanie Meyer of girl metal.

Pfft, I used to blast Once, I dinneven givvafuck, girl metal my ass, shit was hardcore

Yeah, if someone just played a random song by one of them, I wouldn't know which band it is, and would assume it's a Nightwish song I've never heard before.

Then you have Arch Enemy, where it just sounds like the chick is vomiting into the microphone:puke:

Hey, now. I actually think she sounds better than the majority of male vocalists doing that aggressive style. It somehow feels more intense and real. I wouldn't quite call myself a fan of the band, but Anthems of Rebellion was a very good, solid record.

I do like some harsh vocals, like Amon Amarth, but I just never really got into that style. Perhaps it is unfair of me to say that since I've only heard a few songs by them.

^---I was about to rush in and save the day by disagreeing with that, but then I realized I can't think of an example of female growling that sounds good.

That can't be right, though. I refuse to believe that there are no exceptions.

Not to appear sexist, but to me, female growling is the equivalent of this in audio:

hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool8_a-women-bodybuilder-trainwreck-16_2009073023323611542.jpg

I guess some people are into that sort of thing, but lol no.

Then you have Arch Enemy, where it just sounds like the chick is vomiting into the microphone:puke:

Agreed. Some of their riffs are cool, but those vocals... ugh...

I don't like females growling. At all. However, I usually don't like males growling either. Akerfeldt is the only singer who growls that I can listen to regularly, and that's also partially due to my opinion that Opeth's music is far better than any other death/black metal bands I've heard.

And that picture is disgusting.

Holy hell, that picture. That may be true for some, but Angela's vocals are more like:
catherinehollandclips.jpg

I mean, if you hate those kind of vocals then of course she's not gonna change your mind. My point was she does it as good as or better than just about any male. Her tone is great, the words are clearly understood and there's even a bit of melody thrown in at times. These are some of the best harsh vocals I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the strangest albums I've ever heard... but for some reason, it works. I can't stop listening to it, lol.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5qVD9HC0A&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-jWD5cYQE&feature=related[/ame]