Favourite Band

I was alluding to those guys who try their hardest to convey every emotion known to man in every single line, e.g. Gildenlöw and his pupils.

I agree - Gildenlow can be an extremely unconvincing ham. And the fake emotion in a lot of prog is obnoxious. Russell's singing doesn't feel fake, no matter what you say - maybe too macho and cheesy, but it doesn't pretend to be something else, it's just good.

I don't know why anybody would consider Gildenlow's singing forced-sounding or fake.
Albums like The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are shockingly convincing, and moving.
To each their own, I guess.

That being said, Allen is also one of my favourites, especially from the pre-PL days.

Sure, expressive singing is great, but come on:

Does anyone think he's not overselling this? Especially given the subject matter...like 1979 was a goddamn century ago or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw House of lords last night in a small club in Italy,very good band live and very kind with fans,even if they didn't play many songs from their last "Big money".Anyway,worthwhile seeing them

Gildenlöw, whiny as he sounds at times, is awesome and doesn't sound fake to me at all. Russell is the best singer in prog whether singing in a clean way or aggressively. Being able to do both is a big part of his charm.

Adrenaline Mob fails for reasons other than Russell's voice.

Hmm...favorite band. Well Symphony X undoubtedly always will be with what they can achieve in soundscapes. But as of late, the last two albums and especially THIS one, I feel like I'm watching Jeff Goldblum talking about "Insect Politics" in The Fly. And I really fear for the future with this band since they've joined this new label and started catering to younger/newer fans by emphasizing the heaviness factor, while neglecting the progressive and the melodic side that made them such a musical force to begin with.

Right now, the band I am the most positive about is Subsignal. Their second opus proves that this band is growing and improving. And while not quite as staggering as the preceding and sadly split-up Sieges Even material, they're recording some of the best progressive music out there right now that is way better than anything that most are offering.

Fates Warning, another favorite, I'm just going to put a <?> besides since they'll be without Mark Zonder. We'll have to wait and see.

Magenta is another favorite from the last decade as was Moon Of Steel.

Historically, for me, Rush, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Genesis, Camel, Pat Benatar, Led Zeppelin, Marillion(Fish-era), (80's)Metallica, Megadeth, Heart, Billy Joel, Blondie, Ozzy, Bruce Dickinson, and Saraya were and are really huge in my musical heritage and cornerstones for my further explorations into the magical world of prog.

Gildenlow (usually) sounds like someone faking an orgasm to me - it's better to be honest and admit you aren't orgasming that to try to squeeze it out.

Iiiiit was seeevennttyyy niiinneee...anndd the wooorld seemed mooore kaiiiind...

Yeah, okay. That's precious. The disappointing thing is that the musicians backing him are showing restraint and taste, and he's ruining it.